Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Poorly paid job in Taranaki

Poorly paid job in Taranaki

Old Jun 19th 2015, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

kiwibird75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Poorly paid job in Taranaki

My husband has been in the country for three months and has finally landed a very poorly paid job paying £20,000 in a family run business, as this is his first civvy job after 28 years service he feels there is progression in this company, although I have told him that he has no chance with any family business, I am so disappointed in New Zealand companies, they appear to be the worst at communication and never an urgency for quickness!!
we don't arrive until August and I have asked him to sort a property out and vehicles, but who is going to allow a descent mortgage based on such a low income? considering the fact we need a 5 bed house
He has got so many fantastic skills and worth so much more but it appears that jobs go to locals before anyone else!
he is a NZ resident so visa is not an issue, he has many skills in Management, Training Health and Safety, logistics and much more all he needs is that one chance to prove him self, I know employers over there will look and think "28 years in the same job you become stagnant," but be reassured 28 years in the UK armed Forces is about much more, firstly it shows loyalty and commitment to any employer he has had a varied role within this time, we have looked at many sites for employment and even recruitment agencies have told him not to bother with Recruitment agencies!!
I don't understand this logic, surely this would put them out of business?
many employers have had Skype interviews with him and promise the earth and when he chases them up it appears the job is no longer available or they have gone back on their word, so please if there is anyone over there in the Wanganui area that feels they could give him an opportunity to show you what he can give to any organisation, feel free to let me know so I can pass details onto him.

I hope this reads well but I really write this out of anger due to the frustration I feel and the fact we land in about 45 days with three kids and both my parents!!

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 20th 2015 at 3:30 am. Reason: something odd site blip at the end of the post so I have removed that. Nothing of the content removed
Old Jun 19th 2015, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

JaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poorly paid job in Taranaki

I think his salary plus his military pension should help with getting a mortgage or rental contract. You sound so fed up, I hope things sort themselves out soon. Did he retrain in anything as part of his resettlement package? What about using the funds available for degrees/courses etc? (Elcas?)
Old Jun 19th 2015, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

He can do courses but for now we need to get as much money behind us as possible, I just want employers to give him a chance and see how hard working he really is, we will b stuck in hawera for a while and trying to find a five bed rental that takes dogs is an utter nightmare!
Old Jun 19th 2015, 10:02 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

What you've got to remember is that migrant labour is seen as cheap labour. I see this all the time. Usually about a year later the person is either promoted, or leaves for a better paying job. In your posts you are very critical of NZ working patterns. It's a typical response of a migrant or expat and it's the reason why they are not seen as ideal candidates straight off the boat. Who wants a whinging pom in the office? Once he has some NZ experience under his belt, plus made some local contacts, he will be able to get a better job.

I'm guessing the recruitment consultant comment is because he's a new migrant so not very employable. Give it another shot with some NZ work experience under his belt and it will be a different story. Remember, the recruitment consultant works for the employer, so they're not really interested in candidates who they perceive as difficult to place.

Don't even think about getting mortgage. Many plans change and you may find yourself living in a completely different part of the country. Renting, though not ideal, will give you more freedom.

You under a lot of stress right now. Let you husband sort himself out. It's not easy for him to be directed from abroad but I'm sure he'll be fine now he has a job to go to.

Last edited by jmh; Jun 19th 2015 at 10:05 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 10:53 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

please do not even contemplate getting a mortgage for at least the first 18mths, you will have no idea if you like the area until you have lived there for some time, take it from one who has been there and bought within the 6mths as we had sold the house in the UK and thats what you do isn't it?, worse thing we ever did and has cost of loads of money in the longer term. You will also need a decent deposit, usually 20% so unless you are loaded don't think it will be much of an option for a while. Unfortunately know someone in Wanganui, (don't we snapshot) who has never been able to get a full time job in the years she has lived there. Not saying your OH won't get a better paying job but it might not be there and you might have to move to a different area like Wellington, Auckland and other larger towns to gain one.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I can see you lasting all of 5 minutes over here with your attitude.

As much as we respect the job they do, the world doesn't owe ex
Soldiers a living, and before you agree or disagree, that's exactly
how you come across. Stop complaining, your not even here yet
Old Jun 20th 2015, 12:33 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately know someone in Wanganui, (don't we snapshot) who has never been able to get a full time job in the years she has lived there.

Yup, that's me.

I've got full time work, just on a temporary basis each time. Even when I apply for jobs I usually get turned down with or without interview. That's even when the job is identical to what I was doing on a temporary basis.

Time and time again the job goes to the internal candidate. Kiwi team mentality. What's that ?

I'm prepared to be flexible but still they want someone identical to the requirements of the role. So, that'll be the internal candidate.

Out of all the jobs I've applied for and the few interviews I've attended only one, recently, had the backbone to admit the job was offered to the internal candidate.

Oh, and another one said it went to someone in a similar role in the organisation as they already knew how the internal systems worked. It's the only time I've had an interviewer apologise for wasting my time.

The fact that I recognised her from when I worked with her in a different organisation meant nothing. So once again, that gives the lie to it's not what you know it's who you know.

For the record we both looked for jobs in Auckland. IMO three weeks is plenty long enough to find an initial job in a, 'million dollar' city like Auckland.

We then continued on our journey to Christchurch as that's where we were we planned to go. I got a temporary job three weeks after arrival for what should have been three months but it ended after four weeks as they got someone in to do the job that used to work there (and therefore save the agency fee). My husband was getting job interviews but no job offers. So he applied for jobs all over NZ and was offered a job in Wanganui where we've been since June 2011.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jun 20th 2015 at 1:06 am. Reason: never ending story
Old Jun 20th 2015, 12:57 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

To be completely honest Kiwibird, your post doesn't come across well. You are looking for skilled work for good money with no NZ experience after only being here for 3 months in provincial NZ. And now you are realizing it can't be done it's all NZ's fault.

Your post has an air of entitlement and arrogance about it that doesn't sit well. Your "look at us we're amazing, bugger the locals, give us a job even though we're unsuitable just 'cos we're expats and we want to move here" attitude needs to change if you want to get ahead and be happy in NZ.

I understand you are stressed and frustrated but from your post you need to re-align your expectations and see the situation for what it is (refer to my second sentence of this post). I will not sugar coat it and say "there there poor you" because honesty is needed. I genuinely think you have walked yourself into a dire situation in packing up you, your kids, parents and pets to move to NZ without the guarantee of a job, home or any form of security. Now the blame lies with NZ - it's NZ's fault for not giving us a high paying job, a 5 bed house and the lifestyle to boot. I believe that frame of mind is so very flawed and massively entitled. As I said before - NZ owes you nothing.

Last edited by Pom_Chch; Jun 20th 2015 at 1:53 am.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 2:11 am
Just Joined

One thing I should have mentioned is that I lived in NZ for 16 years so do have some understanding of how the work!!
Yes you are right serving with the Armed Forces is not a given that u are provided with a job but I will stand with the fact that they are years behind when it comes to very poor communication!!! Manners cost nothing!!!!!!!
Old Jun 20th 2015, 3:49 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwibird75
One thing I should have mentioned is that I lived in NZ for 16 years so do have some understanding of how the work!!
Yes you are right serving with the Armed Forces is not a given that u are provided with a job but I will stand with the fact that they are years behind when it comes to very poor communication!!! Manners cost nothing!!!!!!!
Breath .... breath ... breath.... you're stressed and it's 2 in the morning over there. Maybe a few glasses of wine as well. I remember that feeling. Tight in the chest, head about to burst.... I think you need to pull back a bit and get some perspective. Otherwise you may hurt the ones you love.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

You should know how NZ works then if you lived here for that long! Contacts are very important when job hunting.

There's a job expo coming up in Taranaki. Maybe he should take the job he's been offered to gain experience and at the same time gain NZ job specific qualifications through a local college/evening courses. There are plenty of online courses. Has he looked at the Open Polytechnic (www.openpolytechnic.ac.nz)?

Taranaki Careers and Training Expo Trust - Welcome
Old Jun 20th 2015, 4:12 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

The OP states she is writing out of anger. She is allowed her emotions surely? I haven't read a sense of entitlement or arrogance at all . I have read disappointment , real worry, extreme anxiety & a need to have a bit of a vent. We allow that on BE. BE is for support after all ! A bit of care and understanding.

Great post jmh & I feel jmh has pegged this . Your husband now has a job offer & you may not feel this at the moment but it is worth its weight in gold to get you started in NZ if that is what you both still wish. I totally agree that NZD $20K is worryingly low but it is at least a start if you feel you can manage on that. JaneRiley mentions a military pension. Hopefully the two combined will make this doable for you.

It must be terrible hard to be so far apart and yet need to talk about this.

I suppose you may have set your hats on New Zealand as this is where you grew up.

It doesn't matter if other people don't understand or get it. They don't walk in you or your husband's shoes.

If you need to vent, you vent . Then when you talk with husband the way forward may seem clearer.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
The OP states she is writing out of anger. She is allowed her emotions surely? I haven't read a sense of entitlement or arrogance at all . I have read disappointment , real worry, extreme anxiety & a need to have a bit of a vent. We allow that on BE. BE is for support after all ! A bit of care and understanding.

Great post jmh & I feel jmh has pegged this . Your husband now has a job offer & you may not feel this at the moment but it is worth its weight in gold to get you started in NZ if that is what you both still wish. I totally agree that NZD $20K is worryingly low but it is at least a start if you feel you can manage on that. JaneRiley mentions a military pension. Hopefully the two combined will make this doable for you.

It must be terrible hard to be so far apart and yet need to talk about this.

I suppose you may have set your hats on New Zealand as this is where you grew up.

It doesn't matter if other people don't understand or get it. They don't walk in you or your husband's shoes.

If you need to vent, you vent . Then when you talk with husband the way forward may seem clearer.
I read it the same way Bev. Some people just want to have a go. Which is a shame. Live and let live. There is no need for snide remarks. There are ways of getting your point over without getting frankly rude.

I regard myself as a more than employable person but in two years after scores and scores of applications I only ever got 2 interviews. One I never heard back from and the other job had a caveat..spending almost $2k to get a 'P' endorsement.

I know of people who have left the Manawatu as they remained unemployed for eons, I have no idea what is going on and I gave up looking for a job and decided to go to college instead.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

I really dont understand what kiwibird is compaining about. It doesnt seem like they were forced to go to NZ, so if it sounds so bad there, why not stay where you are?
Old Jun 20th 2015, 7:56 am
Just Joined

Like people have said in previous posts, I'm not complaining, just angry with the lack of communication that prospective employers give, if employing foreigners is not for them why get them to that crucial point when the talk appears to be "in the bag" then companies act as though they have fallen off the face of the earth, I know things will b easier once I get there as now he has a job, be it low paid, employers asked my hubby the situation, he explains, one company asked if we would up and go to Palmy, he said yes but we just needed to know if he has the job to make plans for rented accom , all seem good now they not replying to emails and hiding behind voicemails!!! In the UK you would be shot for that (not literally ) yes I'm extremely anxious and know in time this will be the best move, and who knows maybe in 10 years when the recruitment system changes things will be easier for those coming in

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.