Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Planning the Big move to NZ

Planning the Big move to NZ

Old Sep 28th 2017, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

MAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning the Big move to NZ

Originally Posted by Munchkjn
I can't understand why you are making excuses for him. His words are just obnoxious bullying on any level.
This is supposedly a forum for people going through a tough life changing event and not helped by this sort of intolerant nonsense. There is a word for it and I'm afraid it's nothing short of trolling to get a reaction...and I've fallen for it again. Perhaps the forum could do with a section for people going through the notoriously difficult 6-18 month period, that way Justtroll can avoid it and carry on!
Well said with regards the bullying and I totally agree that perhaps Justcol should avoid any threads from people who have been here less than 18 months πŸ˜„

Last edited by MAZ-10; Sep 28th 2017 at 8:23 am.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

MAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clappy
You have to expect the backlash

Some of the people that live in this country only wan't to hear about how fantastic everything is (they don't need evidence for it, just the assertion will do). They have no interest in how anything can be improved, they live in a bubble and strike out violently at anything that might threaten that bubble.

For example;

One of my friends (who is a Kiwi that has spent time living in China and in Europe) tells me that her mother is one of those. Her mother is adamant that NZ is the greatest place on the planet and will aggressively shout down anyone that is critical of it. Her mother has only ever been abroad once, and that was to Australia for a short holiday, so her Mother's experience of the rest of the planet is somewhat limited but that doesn't stop her.

At a previous employer, a new Director was visiting from an overseas office and gave his introductory presentation to the staff covering the changes he wanted to implement to make improvements. The local staff spoke out to complain that he talked about that and had not praised them for their previous triumphs.

I gave up any hope for these people some time ago.
Thanks Clappy. I love the country and the people so it's frustrating that we're having difficulty with finances etc. We're still battling on and trying to find solutions to the problems, but I appreciate all the views and feedback.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Thank you to everyone for the comments and suggestions even though this wasn't my original thread πŸ˜¬πŸ˜€. I was just giving my view which I thought might be helpful and somehow it turned into something else.
I appreciate all the support and good to know that others have views which aren't all through rose tinted specs! πŸ€“
Old Sep 28th 2017, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Don't wanna be telling you how to suck eggs as I'm sure you're on top of it if outgoings are an issue but have you had a sit down and itemized all your incomings and outgoings to see where you can save ?
Rent will be your highest outgoing I'd expect so have you considered moving to somewhere cheaper, moving in with relatives or building a temporary cottage at a relatives or even getting your own place and paying mortgage etc so at least you're getting something out of it going forward ?
Old Sep 29th 2017, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
To be fair, the amount of sick leave you had in the UK was not common. Most would have nothing like those conditions so to throw them up to someone else is silly.
It sounds like you simply didn't do your homework before coming to NZ because there are literally dozens of threads on here and other forums about the cost of living and related costs of life in NZ.
Depends on the company but the one I used to work for had unlimited sick leave, 4 weeks annual leave is pretty standard
Old Sep 30th 2017, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Don't wanna be telling you how to suck eggs as I'm sure you're on top of it if outgoings are an issue but have you had a sit down and itemized all your incomings and outgoings to see where you can save ?
Rent will be your highest outgoing I'd expect so have you considered moving to somewhere cheaper, moving in with relatives or building a temporary cottage at a relatives or even getting your own place and paying mortgage etc so at least you're getting something out of it going forward ?
We’re taking into consideration all aspects, and what we can do to help make it work.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

kingacat is an unknown quantity at this point

I work at Tauranga hospital as a nurse.
Have a look on the BOPDHB website for job vacancies.
I really enjoy working at the hospital and recommend it.
Happy to answer any questions πŸ˜€
Old Oct 1st 2017, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

OP - New Zealand can be a really tough go, for a lot of the reasons already said - less pay, more work, high cost of living, remoteness and isolation.

The stuff in the tourist brochures looks great but you have to be able to afford it, to take advantage of it. The idea that you may be sacrificing salary but will be making it back through some nebulous concept of "lifestyle" is a naive one. Lifestyle costs $$$ and as others have already discussed there is less of it in NZ. You also won't be working any less than you do in the UK. There is a reason 15% of all New Zealand Citizens live in Australia.

While some forum members have done very well in NZ, posters like MAZ and MrsFrychan are by no means alone or outliers in their New Zealand experiences.

Hopefully you will come and make it, and the locals will be open to you.

But some will also treat you with suspicion and envy because you are an outsider, and delight in trying to haze you into the "Kiwi Way."

If you want to come, come. But watch your money very carefully, and keep a reserve amount set aside that is your "Back to the UK" fund.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by carcajou
OP - New Zealand can be a really tough go, for a lot of the reasons already said - less pay, more work, high cost of living, remoteness and isolation.

The stuff in the tourist brochures looks great but you have to be able to afford it, to take advantage of it. The idea that you may be sacrificing salary but will be making it back through some nebulous concept of "lifestyle" is a naive one. Lifestyle costs $$$ and as others have already discussed there is less of it in NZ. You also won't be working any less than you do in the UK. There is a reason 15% of all New Zealand Citizens live in Australia.

While some forum members have done very well in NZ, posters like MAZ and MrsFrychan are by no means alone or outliers in their New Zealand experiences.

Hopefully you will come and make it, and the locals will be open to you.

But some will also treat you with suspicion and envy because you are an outsider, and delight in trying to haze you into the "Kiwi Way."

If you want to come, come. But watch your money very carefully, and keep a reserve amount set aside that is your "Back to the UK" fund.
Very well said, thank you.
Knowing both sides and being realistic can only help with a well informed decision. My family are very much in the NZ camp of it being the best place on earth and are making good lives here. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for all. Best of luck to everyone making life changing decisions.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Carajou, I think its a fallacy to suggest moving to NZ will necessarily mean a drop in pay these days. There are some areas where this is so, but others where it isnt, and still others where NZ salaries are better, nursing being one example. Not saying NZ is better or worse but I know there are plenty of Brits on average salaries able to afford an enjoyable lifestyle here. It isnt a given that there are less $$, or longer work hrs for that matter. Most people would know their likely working conditions and salary before arriving, wouldnt they?
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garethwm
Most people would know their likely working conditions and salary before arriving, wouldnt they?
You'd think so, but apparently not
Old Oct 10th 2017, 2:45 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Most people would know their likely working conditions and salary before arriving, wouldnt they?
They might well (hopefully!) know them on paper and they might have done the sums and have an idea about how it will be but nothing compares to the lived experience. You don't know a long, damp, boring winter in a cold house until you've done it a few times. You don't know what it is to miss family and your first culture until it kicks in. Those things can make the employment conditions that you knew about before arriving seem less doable and more stressful.

I feel for you, OP. Hang in there though: it'll either get better or it won't. If it doesn't, be brave and make a new plan.

JustCol has had a lot of support from this forum over the years. I can remember two periods when he wanted to return to the UK and during one of those he was quite negative about NZ and both those times he got so much support! Some folk just have short memories and minimal empathy.
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

aklbob is an unknown quantity at this point

NZ is a difficult move, but start in Auckland, then explore the rest of NZ. We are a family who started in Auckland, but have moved in the last two years down to Tauranga. <little snip>

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 23rd 2017 at 10:31 pm. Reason: You can link to your blog in your BE signature.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Carajou, I think its a fallacy to suggest moving to NZ will necessarily mean a drop in pay these days.
My job in the UK pays $20k less than here
Old Oct 24th 2017, 10:23 am
Just Joined

Northern Man 49 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi GlynnY81
My wife and I are in the same boat in that we're starting this process. Our daughter is at Uni and looking at finishing her degree there.
We liked Tauranga when we visited a few years back so I get where you're coming from. We'd like to go to the Wellington area (similar family reasons) if we can but what I've seen a lot of is comments about try not to be too picky - what I mean is that you get in and then look to move to Tauranga at a later date. You might have to consider other areas (to be honest Rotarua and Taupo are nice as well) in which to find work. Napier is a pretty cool place to visit as well if you're prepared to look further afield.

I've seen a few threads about the fact you get taxed on every cent and there's no NI. Apparently (I'm sure others will correct if wrong), the medicals include a standard check for syphilis - unless someone's pulling my leg!
I think there are taxes on some things we import (cars, white goods like fridges etc). Not sure if taking a car is worth it tbh but it might depend on its age. I'm sure others will clarify for us.

Most contributors will say that we must do the due diligence and homework; after all it’s a massive challenge and risk with our families so that's our next step. I've already asked about if using an agent is better to help us with immigration, looking for work etc. (The Emigration Group for example) so any comments from any others would be great

Finally, the best of luck to us both in our adventure!

Last edited by Northern Man 49; Oct 24th 2017 at 11:10 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.