Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Planning the Big move to NZ

Planning the Big move to NZ

Old Sep 26th 2017, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning the Big move to NZ

It might pay to do some comparison online shopping to get an idea of prices and cost

supermarkets
https://www.countdown.co.nz/
New World | Proudly 100% NZ Owned and Operated | New World Supermarket
Home | PAK'nSAVE

Fro Car prices look on https://www.trademe.co.nz/
New cars are similarly priced but used are much more expensive
In NZ a 10 year old low mileage jap import (and there are 1000's every week)
would still be considered relatively new...!!!

furniture
https://www.freedomfurniture.co.nz/
Home | Harvey Norman New Zealand
https://www.targetfurniture.co.nz/
Old Sep 26th 2017, 6:47 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
I see not much has changed on here in the months I have been away.
Its still full of people grumbling and moaning about life in NZ
I used to have this or that in the UK and I dont have it here, everything is so expensive
You cant buy the same food here, its not the same, they talk funny and dont drive very well.

These are the same things that have gone round and round in 90% of the threads for years
Are any of you lot actually happy to be living in New Zealand, because it doesn't sound like it
it seems most of you are here because you cant afford to go back to the UK
Correct, not happy here, health has suffered, money is less, working environment is shocking, have depleted savings in UK just to get a warm less weepy house and can't afford to save.
Not going to sugar coat it or lie about my experience of day to day living.
Comes down to what lifestyle you left in the country you moved from and for me life was better there on all aspects apart from local scenery.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MAZ-10
We've been here almost 9 months, so still new at this game! We live in Cambridge and my husband and I both work in Hamilton, so can't comment on getting work in Tauranga.

I agree with the comments made above regarding the cost of living and what you will have to pay for. A considerable increase to things back in the UK.

And I can only speak from our point of view, but something we didn't know before coming were the poor t&c's regarding employment, and again this is in relation to our employment, not sure if it's the same across the board. We had well paid jobs with great t&c's in the UK (i.e. my husband had 5 weeks annual leave, I had 6), he had private company health care, I had up to 6 months sick pay (pro-rata over 3 years). We were able to afford for me to work 3 days a week. Here I have to work full time (40 hours a week), my husband works in excess of 50 hours a week with less pay in a job that he doesn't particularly enjoy, as his skill set is very unique. We get 4 weeks annual leave, which you have to 'accrue' weekly, and 5 days sick leave in the first year, increasing to 10 days in the second year.

Our primary concern is how to afford to live here if one of us is off work due to illness and we have used your sick and annual leave?

Don't get me wrong, NZ is an amazing country. It's stunning, safer, more spacious, but the financial implications are definitely something I would recommend you consider, particularly if you have a good standard of living in the UK.

Best of luck to you and your family whatever decision you make.
Cambridge is pretty nice place to live. We contemplated it for my work transfer in Hamilton but decided we wanted coastal more so moved to Tauranga and I commute a few times a week instead. I've only been in NZ 5.5 years but have seen Cambridge grow from a sleepy farming town with a few posh cafes to what it is today
I agree with the difficulty in getting work in Tauranga. My Mrs is a practise nurse and only now after nearly 3 years in Tauranga has she managed to get offers of a permanent contract. Not even looked at work for me in the BOP as it'd be like banging my head against a brick wall. There are a couple of possibilities for me but unfortunately they wouldn't pay as much and what I'd save in commuting costs wouldn't cover the loss in salary so I'll have to stay where I am.

I've not experienced any t's&c's issues here in NZ. Maybe I've just been lucky? Yes I don't get paid anywhere near as much as I did in the UK even though the similar job I have here was a step up, more onerous with more responsibility but I feel the t's&c's are better and my work/life balance is better. The company I work for seem way more family friendly than the company I worked for in the UK. Far more easier going here and more casual in the office. My annual leave entitlement is normally the same (5 weeks) although this year I have 6 weeks as I've been here 5 years and sickness entitlement is the same but I also get a few insurances that I didn't have in the UK and I also get family health cover so can't really complain.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

MAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond repute

Justcol, we are all entitled to our opinions. The facts are that it is more expensive here. Working conditions are generally poor in comparison.
We had a good life in the UK - good jobs, lived in a gorgeous part of the country. However having visited family several times in NZ, we were perhaps swayed by them and rose tinted glasses, that NZ had more to offer. So we took the leap as we didn't want to sit in the UK wondering "what if..." so we are giving it a go, but we are definitely financially worse off, and having to work a lot more for a lot less, and there's no sugar coating those facts.
Fortunately we do have the funds to return to the UK, so your comment about people having to stay here because they can't go back is very sweeping.
Perhaps you could try being more supportive to those who are not finding it as rosey as you. Just a thought!?
Old Sep 27th 2017, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Remember you get 11 public holiday days in NZ compared to 8 in UK. It's more generally accepted to have days off sick I've experienced and mine accumulate but even if they don't, if it worries you so much that an illness (and no money coming in) could cripple you financially then look at income and or mortgage insurance.
Most firms I've dealt with in NZ do have 38-40hr weeks as basic hours but paid overtime is more likely than UK in my industry anyway

Last edited by Timmy Chch; Sep 27th 2017 at 4:34 am.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps you could try being more supportive to those who are not finding it as rosey as you. Just a thought!?
Again it comes down to homework. You cant turn up here and start
grumbling about things when, with family already on the ground here,
you had more information and resources at your disposal than most
to make an informed decision.

Its not personal, I get tired of people moving to NZ then whinging about
this, that and the other. If you don't like it go home, if you don't want to
go home, at least do the rest of us a favour and stop complaining

You'll be home in a year or two...bye
Old Sep 27th 2017, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

MAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timmy Chch
Remember you get 11 public holiday days in NZ compared to 8 in UK. It's more generally accepted to have days off sick I've experienced and mine accumulate but even if they don't, if it worries you so much that an illness (and no money coming in) could cripple you financially then look at income and or mortgage insurance.
Most firms I've dealt with in NZ do have 38-40hr weeks as basic hours but paid overtime is more likely than UK in my industry anyway
Thanks Timmy, I am only going on what I know within the field I work in, but will definitely look at the insurance cover. Cheers
Old Sep 27th 2017, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

Again it comes down to homework. You cant turn up here and start
grumbling about things when, with family already on the ground here,

Family, to be fair though supportive gave a very rose tinted view of NZ. We were aware of the cost of living, though not so much about the increased working hours etc. Shoot me for not doing enough homework! And I'm not grumbling, I was giving my opinion and thoughts as I've experienced NZ, in order perhaps to help others consider ALL aspects of making a move.

You could really benefit from trying to be a little more understanding and not being so rude, or perhaps that's what puts a smile on your face, if that's the case I'm happy to have helped 👍
Old Sep 27th 2017, 5:32 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Again it comes down to homework. You cant turn up here and start grumbling about things when, with family already on the ground here,

Stop being a grouch.
This poster is simply reaching out to help her gather her muddled , worried thoughts. You've done the same in your time.
Being concerned about a choice made is not grumbling, it is being concerned and it is OK to bounce off others as it can help to clear the mind.

Cut some slack Col . I know groans over the price of bananas does your head in somewhat. but there is a difference here.

Oh and as you well know, sometimes it is not so easy to up sticks and leave. Just as sometimes it is not so easy to remain. It can be very hard.

By the way, it is nice to see you, you grumpy fart.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 8:30 am
Welly bound

Munchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Stop being a grouch.
This poster is simply reaching out to help her gather her muddled , worried thoughts. You've done the same in your time.
Being concerned about a choice made is not grumbling, it is being concerned and it is OK to bounce off others as it can help to clear the mind.

Cut some slack Col . I know groans over the price of bananas does your head in somewhat. but there is a difference here.

Oh and as you well know, sometimes it is not so easy to up sticks and leave. Just as sometimes it is not so easy to remain. It can be very hard.

By the way, it is nice to see you, you grumpy fart.
I can't understand why you are making excuses for him. His words are just obnoxious bullying on any level.
This is supposedly a forum for people going through a tough life changing event and not helped by this sort of intolerant nonsense. There is a word for it and I'm afraid it's nothing short of trolling to get a reaction...and I've fallen for it again. Perhaps the forum could do with a section for people going through the notoriously difficult 6-18 month period, that way Justtroll can avoid it and carry on!
Old Sep 27th 2017, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

I was sharing my view and didn't expect a backlash.
You have to expect the backlash

Some of the people that live in this country only wan't to hear about how fantastic everything is (they don't need evidence for it, just the assertion will do). They have no interest in how anything can be improved, they live in a bubble and strike out violently at anything that might threaten that bubble.

For example;

One of my friends (who is a Kiwi that has spent time living in China and in Europe) tells me that her mother is one of those. Her mother is adamant that NZ is the greatest place on the planet and will aggressively shout down anyone that is critical of it. Her mother has only ever been abroad once, and that was to Australia for a short holiday, so her Mother's experience of the rest of the planet is somewhat limited but that doesn't stop her.

At a previous employer, a new Director was visiting from an overseas office and gave his introductory presentation to the staff covering the changes he wanted to implement to make improvements. The local staff spoke out to complain that he talked about that and had not praised them for their previous triumphs.

I gave up any hope for these people some time ago.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 9:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Munchkjn
I can't understand why you are making excuses for him. His words are just obnoxious bullying on any level.
This is supposedly a forum for people going through a tough life changing event and not helped by this sort of intolerant nonsense. There is a word for it and I'm afraid it's nothing short of trolling to get a reaction...and I've fallen for it again. Perhaps the forum could do with a section for people going through the notoriously difficult 6-18 month period, that way Justtroll can avoid it and carry on!

Couldn't agree more. I rarely post on here now because of this sort of thing. I suffer from depression and have been through a couple of tough years with mine and my OH's illnesses. This should be a safe place to discuss the good, the bad and the ugly but bullies such as Justcol make it hard. I wouldn't care but he received a lot of support on here when he was going through a tough time.

Well that's my 2 cents.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 10:22 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I can't understand why you are making excuses for him.
There is nothing in my words that makes any sort of excuse.

he received a lot of support on here when he was going through a tough time.
Yup. I did make that point.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 10:30 pm
Welly bound

Munchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
There is nothing in my words that makes any sort of excuse.
I guess not, sorry BEVS. I remembered how I felt and empathised with Maz, I suppose I just felt you were going too easy on him.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 10:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess not, sorry BEVS. I remembered how I felt and empathised with Maz, I suppose I just felt you were going too easy on him.
Me too. I just hate bullying behaviour wherever it is. Sad that others lack empathy. I put it down to Justcol being a Man U supporter

Cucumbers currently $2 in Countdown

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.