Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Petrol or diesel camper - car

Petrol or diesel camper - car

Old Aug 30th 2015, 9:30 am
Just Joined

john2015 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Petrol or diesel camper - car

Hi I'm wondering what's a better choice, buying a petrol camper or a diesel camper to drive in New Zealand. And what are the advantages or disadvantages?

Thanks,
Old Aug 31st 2015, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Petrol or diesel camper - car

Petrol camper monthly or annual vehicle license is cheaper than a diesel.
Petrol camper will travel less distance on a tank of fuel.
Petrol camper will have a higher mpg or higher Ltr's/100 KM's than a diesel (usually) unless we are talking a super efficient petrol camper.
Petrol camper has less torque for the climbs so you'll be changing gear more and using more fuel and more than likely need a bigger petrol engine so it has decent power and torque.
Petrol is more expensive on the forecourt.
Petrol camper will be cheaper to maintain.

Diesel camper monthly or annual vehicle license will be more expensive than a petrol camper.
Diesel camper will travel further on a tank of fuel as engine more efficient.
Diesel camper will have better mpg / Ltr's per 100KM's.
Diesel engine will have more torque assuming it's a turbo diesel engine.
Diesel is near half the price per litre than petrol.
Diesel engine will be more expensive to maintain.
Diesel engine will last many more KM's in the long term.
You have to purchase Road User Charges for any diesel vehicle and the cost depends on the class - a motor caravan is either $246 or $283 per 1000 KM's.

In all honesty it's a fine line and will depend on the mileage most likely.

I had the same dilemma when thinking about which car to buy as a commuter. The car had to be a decent size and have enough power/torque to climb up and down the Kaimai's and cruise with easy but still be efficient on fuel.
Do I buy a diesel or a petrol.......

So lets say a Holden Cruze petrol car around 8 Ltr's/100KM's average. Tank size 60 ltrs.
Costs $120 to fill it up and I manage to get 750 KM's out of a tank. To get 1000 KM's I'd need another 20 Ltrs fuel that costs another $40. So, to travel 1000 KM's it costs $160 in that car. I do around 30 000 KM's a year so that costs $4800 per year. Vehicle license is $130 per year. Not factoring insurance and maintenance as the differences are negligible.

Holden Cruze diesel car around 6 Ltr's/100KM's average. Tank size 60 Ltrs. Costs $60 to fill it up and I manage to get 1000 KM's out of a tank. So, to travel 1000 KM's it costs $60. I do around 30 000 KM's a year so that costs $1800 per year, BUT since it's a diesel I have to pay for road user charges at $62 per 1000 KM which adds another $1860 giving a total of $3660. Vehicle license is $250 per year so $120 more expensive, but in comparison I'm saving over a grand a year by having a diesel.
Old Sep 1st 2015, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

john2015 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Petrol or diesel camper - car

Thank you very much for your information escapedtonz, it is very usefull. In October I will go to New Zealand on a Working holiday visa so that's why I asked for this information.