Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Pegasus Development, Christchurch - Parklands/Waimairi Beach ?????

Pegasus Development, Christchurch - Parklands/Waimairi Beach ?????

Old Jul 10th 2008, 7:58 pm
** My Beautiful Angel **

mum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant future
Default Pegasus Development, Christchurch - Parklands/Waimairi Beach ?????

Hi there
We are looking for places to rent before we arrive and are interested in finding some more info on the new Pegasus development if anyone has any info that would be great. All i have read is people negative points, are there any positives about the development???
Also looking around the Parklands and Waimiari Beach as well has anyone got any experience of these areas please.
Happy for any other info on nice places to look at to if anyone would like to suggest some. Hubby looking at working in CH but don't want to live to close to the city. Happy to commute a bit.
Thanks everyone
Jackie
Old Jul 10th 2008, 11:57 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pegasus Development, Christchurch - Parklands/Waimairi Beach ?????

Personally I wouldn't buy a place at Pegasus. I'm not even sure they've actually built any houses there yet! But I could be wrong. We hear lots of negative stuff about it and its all built on sand and there are a lot of restrictions, even down to what garden ornaments you can have, if the local press is to be believed. Parklands is ok but no real township/town centre - nice beach and golf course and easy commute to Cch city. You could also try Kaiapoi, Woodend, Rangiora. We live in Rangiora as do many others who commute into Cch daily. Easy commute (25-45 mins depending on which side of city you need to get to and what time of morning you leave) and Rangiora and Kaiapoi are both great townships that have all facilities / shops to save you going into town and it is also an easy drive if you do want to visit the malls, like The Palms (Shirley) or Northlands.

Kaiapoi has the river and beaches, Rangiora I think is a little larger and has the Ashley river, if you like fishing, walking, swimming in summer, 10 minutes from Waikuku and Woodend beaches, 1 hr to ski fields, 1 1/2 hrs to Hamner Springs. both have a mix of new and old houses. Newer houses tend to have smaller sections, some older house still have the Kiwi acre. But this is a generalisation - a 700-800sqm section would be a good size. House prices here are generally lower and at the moment it's a buyers market. There's plenty to rent too. And there is a good choice of schools, if that's a consideration.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

I think that Pegasus gets has received some negative attention, but particularly with respect to the covenants on the sections. Yes, they address what sort of laundry line you can have, the number of pets and so forth. Where we live there are also covenants such as minimum roof pitch, the maximum size of house on the sub 700 meter sections and the minimum sized house on the larger sections. We also cannot keep any fowl on our property and our fence cannot not be over a certain height in the front without being set back a distance. There are lots more covenants but these are for our benefit. It prevents others from building just anything and then keeping their camper and boat parked out front blocking your view of the street. Where I come from, many of these issues are addressed by local by-laws. I have seen the Pegasus plan and it looks terrific. There will even be heated swimming areas. Houses have commenced construction recently. A few months ago there was an article in our local paper describing the commencement of the first house. Stories in the press have played up on the Pegasus covenants giving everyone the opportunity to snicker, but I can see the impact of covenants in our area. The street scape is very pleasant and the openess of the front gardens is very pleasing. This is also what they are going for in Pegasus.

I think the biggest risk to Pegaus, and us to here in Rangiora, is that the price of petrol should it stay this high, could impact on the desire people have to live out here. I wonder if house prices in these areas outside the city will be less resiliant as people look at the cost of commuting. Longer term we could see a revival in city living if the costs stay up.

Anyway, I like it out here. My son went to the movies today with his friends. He would never have been allowed at just shy of 12 to go to the mall and the movies with his friends in Christchurch, but here in Rangiora it is just ifne.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 8:35 pm
** My Beautiful Angel **

mum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant future

Thanks for you input everyone, its great to get the inside info from people who are actually there
I think we will have to look and do a bit more research on Pegasus. We have looked at all the plans and all the gardens do look small.
We have also looked at Rangiora and it really does look appealing, but living in a small community here in Cyprus and with hardly any shops of any significance we have got used to living away from towns and their facilities. It takes us 45 mins to get to supermarkets/decent shops etc and we like that and have got used to it, although i wouldn't want to commute it daily. So info on small villages would be good
The covenants sound like a good idea as long as there not to restrictive. Will look out for those as i didn't know about them.
We will be looking at schools/Kindys and Crèches as my little ones will be 5,4 and 2 by the time we arrive in Feb.
We would like good commute, beach and views (not much really ha ha) same as everyone but not sure were to rent for a while before we buy?
Any more suggestions for us to research would be really appreciated.
What are the outskirts of Rangiora like?
Jackie
Thanks everyone
Old Jul 11th 2008, 11:03 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

LOL! Rangiora is what you might call a small village by UK standards! In NZ its a town but there's only one main town street of shops and cafes really. It is small, friendly, flat - so easy walking.

http://www.rangiora.net/directory/photos-map.php
http://www.waimakariri.govt.nz/
Old Aug 26th 2008, 1:44 am
Banned

Melza will become famous soon enoughMelza will become famous soon enough

2 houses nearly finished in Pegasus, one couple brought wanting to be the FIRST there, but hmmm tight finish, wonder who it will be!
Couple showhomes being built at the mo.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

Oh, how did you know? Did you do a drive by? I had been thinking to drive over myself and have a look.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 5:15 am
Banned

Melza will become famous soon enoughMelza will become famous soon enough

nah i havent had a look since ummmm January!!
I have something to do with it, well casually work at Pegasus. Don't know much though sorry!
Old Aug 26th 2008, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

I like the idea of it. But you know, I fly to Wellington sometimes from Christchurch. With all the rain we have had it was interesting to see how much of the coastline was flooded out. It is so flat here, that I think next time, it will be a hill for us in Loburn.