Reload this Page >

Obtaining a job offer

Obtaining a job offer

Old Mar 19th 2015, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

Craigshirley179 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Obtaining a job offer

Hi everyone
Can anyone help? My husband and I are looking to move to nz but the points system States we need to have an offer of employment, can any one help with advising how to obtain a job offer,my husband is a wall and floor tiler
Thanks in advance
Shirley
Old Mar 19th 2015, 11:14 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obtaining a job offer

Hi and welcome to BE

so you need to find a company prepared to take you, look on sites like Trademe and Seek.
as you seem to know about the skills lists I am assuming that your partner has the relevant level of experience and qualifications to uplift a visa if a job offer is made?
Old Mar 19th 2015, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

Yes he has an nvq level 3 in tiling and over 20 years experience, we have only just started looking into emigrating but everything looks so complicated and we thought the best thing was to join the forum and seek advise from others that have already been through the process
Thank you for your quick reply

Also unsure of job availability in my work field, I work with young vulnerable adults that have autism and challenging behaviour. I have just completed my level 5 diploma in leadership and management of health and social care but I'm totally oblivious of the job potentials relating to the field of work in nz

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 22nd 2015 at 9:06 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 11:27 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

sorry no idea if that would be transferable but if it is I think it would need to be accessed by a appropriate body.
so have you checked out if you occupation is on the skills lists? and if that maybe gives you more points?
Old Mar 19th 2015, 11:31 pm
Just Joined

Yes my occupation is not on the list, My husband also thinks he may have to go on an assessment course for his trade? Nothing looks as if it's straight forward. We have looked at several job sites in nz but they are all asking for citizens of nz or an appropriate visa which we cannot obtain until an offer of employement has been issued!!!! Think this is going to go round in circles for some time!!!
Old Mar 20th 2015, 12:12 am

employees over here don't know how the visa system works, so you can always apply stating that you have a visa in the system you just need a written job offer for it progress
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 9:33 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Craigshirley179
Hi everyone
Can anyone help? My husband and I are looking to move to nz but the points system States we need to have an offer of employment, can any one help with advising how to obtain a job offer,my husband is a wall and floor tiler
Thanks in advance
Shirley
Hi there and welcome to this cosy New Zealand forum on BE.

I am not sure how many points you have gained under the official Points Indicator but it is likely that you would need a job offer to up those points. Points means prizes and it improves the quality of the application as it shows ability to settle.

Wall and floor tiler (333411) is seen as a skilled occupation so it is possible for you to apply for residency under the skilled migrant category.

This occupation appears on the shortage list for Canterbury. That means that an employer in the Christchurch/Canterbury area is able to employ your husband without going through the usual checks to ensure there is no NZ citizen/resident that could do that work. That is because it is known that there is a shortage of skilled tilers in this area of New Zealand.

Your OH NVQ3 may not need NZQA, i.e. C&G. He will need to show evidence of his apprenticeship/training and have copies of his trade certificates.

For your own occupation , please trawl & search through HERE - ANZSCO & come back with the occupation that most matches your current work experience, skill set and qualifications.

Please note that Christchurch is not a cheap place to live but as this is where your OH's skill set is in shortage, this is perhaps where you should start your job search for the time being.

Try Opportunity Christchurch . Also you could contact CanStaff or Tradestaff as well as Seek and TradeMe.

Here is a bit of a list of master tilers/plasterers in that area. No harm in trying to cold call. You never know your luck. You will have to include a phrase which states that the NZ employer is able to offer your OH work because of the Canterbury shortage list.

You should be looking in excess of $25 an hour and given this is Christchurch more towards the $30 .

Come back to us with which ANZSCO occupation your own work matches.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

darbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud of

Hi and welcome. My husband and I have recently moved to NZ having both obtained job offers prior to obtaining a visa.

Is your husband's occupation on the skill shortage list? If so, then employers tend to be more clued up on the visa process and indeed more open to recruiting from overseas (well my husband's certainly was).

I was like you - noticed a lot of jobs stated the need for a NZ citizen, but all it took was a covering letter stating that I was going through the application process and was serious about moving. As my husband already had a job offer due to skill shortage, the process for me was quite straight forward.

The key is to reassure the employers that you're serious and clued up on the process so that they don't have to worry about it.

Have a good read of the immigration nz website - there is heaps of information on it. It will soon make sense though