Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ is so expensive

NZ is so expensive

Old Oct 27th 2011, 8:15 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ is so expensive

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Suck, don't bite
tis what I always tell MrsL
Old Oct 27th 2011, 8:16 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

seriously I did suck for a while but was so tempted to bite too early.....and it was too gooey......

anyway tempting fate later with a gold Morro straight from the ice box
Old Oct 27th 2011, 8:18 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
seriously I did suck for a while but was so tempted to bite too early.....and it was too gooey......

anyway tempting fate later with a gold Morro straight from the ice box
You'll be fine with the Morro Gold; suck, don't bite!
Old Oct 27th 2011, 8:25 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
You'll be fine with the Morro Gold; suck, don't bite!
but I'm such a wimp, I used to be able to break the morros into 4 pieces but in 3 I can't get them into my gob......
Old Oct 27th 2011, 8:43 am
Banned

tweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lardyl
anyway NZ is expensive - just work out how many hours you need to work to buy such and such an item or service. very little works out cheaper than it was in the UK or that it is in the US, etc

I don't see many dentists claiming benefits, many of them are driving Astons, etc The only dental work I've had done here was OK but not great so I'm not an expert but many Kiwis I know have done some tourism/dental work holidays and they aren't complaining.
Tens of thousands of $$ in student fees are not a great deal of dosh, the newly qualified dentists I knew in the UK could see that off in a couple of years. Just another excuse for expensive services. The dental cartel here will be broken at some point just as the opticians one is being dealt to by Specsavers, etc.

I'm also finding it hard to see how so many people earn more here than in the UK. Talking to plenty of expats over trhe past 5 years I've only come accross it in about 1 in 20 cases. Lots of people I know have gone back having been here for a couple of months or 3 - 5 years (usually) cause they couldn't make it work. MrsL is on about 60% of UK salary, I was on 40%, even without the benefits, which were useless here, in terms of leave, sick pay, medical insurance, permanent health cover, parental leave, pension, etc, etc.

Anyway good luck to those who can do better here, best of luck to those of us who struggle and have fun to those who are about to come.
We are a couple
We Lived in Uk, we now live in Nz.
difference in our standard of life and outlook:

UK

worked 6-7 days a week
always lots of work
one of us studied a bit of the time
mortgage and bills about a third of salary per month
saved regularly
did not go out to restaurants - dinner parties instead and bbqs and parties
went on international holidays once a year, Uk a couple of times a year and Europe a couple of times a year.
bought cheap clothes from Primark
books from charity shops
groceries sainsburys/asda (never worried about 'special deals')
drank NZ and Chilean wine
ran two cars
regular dentistry - no worries about the bill
MOT and services - no worries
good health - visited doctor for jabs for travel
did loads of sport, clubs: swimming tennis gym

NZ
one in regular work, the other has very little work
both studying
bills equate to about three quarters of salary per month - left with one quarter to live on
no savings. struggling to pay off bills
never restaurants - hardly any social life - have not really made any friends here
have not been on an international holiday since we left UK, cant afford it.
we go camping in NZ instead. We are saving up to travel the south island next year (camping!)
buy very cheap clothes on trademe and in op shops
cannot afford new clothes here
groceries - try and get Everything on special!! otherwise wait til it is on special
grow some vegetables
get all our crockery, household goods from op shops
dont drink wine often
run two cars
regular dentistry - the bills are sometimes more than a week's wages.
WOF and services - missed the services recently as cannot afford them
do loads of sport but cant afford clubs

NZ is fine if you are not worried about the future, dont worry about having any savings, dont have a pension fund to pay into, dont want to travel the world, are happy to read books, go for walks, camp, dont have children to look after and can live on very little.
we live on http://www.oilyrag.co.nz/
or unless you can get a well paid job!!
books recommended - being and nothingness - john paul sartre

Last edited by tweetweet; Oct 27th 2011 at 8:54 am.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 8:47 am
you dewty owld maan!

yep that sounds very like us - the variability in the work I do means sometimes we can buy luxuries and sometimes not.

although we are renting with a property in UK that has tenants covering the mortgage

living in NZ for our first 3 months was the only time I have ever felt hungry most of the day, ate less then than as a student, plus had kids to look after, housework, etc
Old Oct 27th 2011, 9:01 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by welshrgeordie
hey great reply,s from every-one ...isn,t it lucky we all have such different opinions...otherwise nz would be full of winging poms

I can live with it getting dark for a little while at 5-15 BJ ....because at least at the end of that spell of darkness there will b blue skys....

My sis who has lived in nz for 28 years was over here in the uk last october for a month and she couldn't cope with the constant grey skys and grey outlook of most people ....granted she did love a good session in the local pub for a super sunday session
Oh gawd. Give me a break from the UK & NZ fiction. Or not.

Wot rubbish TBH.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

$21 for a box of muesli seems reasonable after what we paid for fish and chips recently.

A couple of weeks back we went 'up town' to have a wander and a mooch around and ended up at the fish market. Now this is no fancy schmancy dining experience, you queue up at the counter order your fish and chips, grab a drink from the fridge yourself type of affair. Like most cafe style places, you get given a number and plonk yer bum down wherever you can find a space outside at one of the benches. To complete the scene for those not in the know, there is absolutely no view, it's essentially an internal courtyard area surrounded by other buildings.

We had two lots of fish and chips (small portion with a slice of lemon and a sprig of parsley on the plate) and two juices - $46 thank you very much and not even a glass supplied for your drink. Quite thankful that we don't really drink alcohol, because I really don't know how people can afford to do $8 or $9 a time on a glass of wine.

I often wonder how some people manage to support their daily coffee habits. Their weekly / monthly bill must be huge: especially when they're grabbing a takeaway on the way to the office, throw in a slice or muffin with the double flat white or bowl of latte at morning tea, followed by the iced chocolate and afternoon teas. It absolutely staggers me and all these thousands of cafes manage to churn a living!!
Old Oct 27th 2011, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Oh gawd. Give me a break from the UK & NZ fiction. Or not.

Wot rubbish TBH.
I chose not to bite BUT honestly it's the kind of rubbish I have come to expect from those that know it all already from having family living here long term. They're generally full of it and get fed the old diatribes about how wonderful is in NZ compared to bleak, dark and wet old UK with the warm beer, concrete and cobble stone streets that we all suffer. Funny that we see so few of them offering up their British passports for ritual burning ceremonies, since they're no longer required.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Oct 27th 2011 at 9:19 am.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 9:22 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I chose not to bite BUT honestly it's the kind of rubbish I have come to expect from those that know it all already from having family living here long term. They're generally full of it and get fed the old diatribes about how wonderful is in NZ compared to bleak, dark and wet old UK with the warm beer, concrete and cobble stone streets that we all suffer.
I know.
It's the parable of the sower in a way. It all depends on where one comes from. What one goes to and , candidly , what one has for ones dream new life.

Reality is all I would ask coz we all need to be careful out there these days
Old Oct 27th 2011, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by tweetweet
NZ is fine if you are not worried about the future, dont worry about having any savings, dont have a pension fund to pay into, dont want to travel the world, are happy to read books, go for walks, camp, dont have children to look after and can live on very little.
we live on http://www.oilyrag.co.nz/
or unless you can get a well paid job!!
Yep, that about sums it up Tweet, the longer term future is a worry as we age and undoubtedly will need to start looking out for our health a bit more. I haven't seen a dentist in six years and been once to the doctors in the same period of time; I am just getting to the point when glasses are no longer doing their job.

Like lots we talk to and live amongst; the Plan B backup plan is long gone, the savings are zilch and we get by from payday to payday. I shop on the long haul slog of looking for specials between three supermarkets, waiting until the things we want are on special at a price we are prepared to pay. Living like we're expecting the blitz, stockpiling the likes of tins of tomatoes and getting excited when whooop de doo they're ONLY 99 cents a tin. (remembering they're 9 pence a tin in the UK).

You know it's bad when you think the clothes in the Warehouse are nice and looking like quite good quality; they're getting more attractive by the week.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 9:59 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Living like we're expecting the blitz, stockpiling the likes of tins of tomatoes and getting excited when whooop de doo they're ONLY 99 cents a tin. (remembering they're 9 pence a tin in the UK).

They come from warmer climates....Italy/Spain etc......they cost 9p a tin because 65 million of us all club together and buy by the big boat load.....we get cheap tinned tomatoes but have to squeeze together to eat them. They will send them to you at 99 c because you only put in a small order.......
Move to Shanghai or Mumbai they are cheaper again......
Very soon we are forecast to reach a population of 72 million people.....how much a tin then BJ.............
Don't read the lines read between them.....
Old Oct 27th 2011, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

I am prepared to bet anyone a crate of tinned tomatoes that they cannot be bought for 9p a tin today in the UK.

PS. A quick look at the Asda website suggests 58p...

Last edited by DC10; Oct 27th 2011 at 10:05 am.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

mazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud of

I work in the Dunedin post shops and see plenty of people struggle on a daily basis, paying $20 here and there on their bills when they can afford to is so so common.
We both have reasonably paid jobs yet I have to watch every cent, never did back in the UK, wages v cost of living is a joke and the views dont pay my bills.....rant over!
Old Oct 27th 2011, 10:37 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
My point exactly; you must undoubtedly have the money sloshing around in order to be able to afford to take the hit in the first place. If the answer is, it is what it is and it doesn't make you cry, then you're a prime example and appear to be so desperate to get away no matter what the cost is. You must ergo be able to afford to gamble all you have on that last spin of the wheel or still have some in reserve
Or have a different set of values. If you value everything in GBP terms, both generally (as money) and specifically (as GBP as a currency), then you may never be happy outside the UK. Tesco's economies of scale on a population of 60M will NEVER apply to P&S in NZ with a pop of 4M and the lower density.

Amazes me that many come here quoting they value the lower population density as a draw, then bemoan facts of life here that are down to the very same lower population density....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.