Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Returning to NZ after 12 years, any tips?

Returning to NZ after 12 years, any tips?

Old Jun 22nd 2019, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

devonport12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning to NZ after 12 years, any tips?

I have an indefinite PR visa and am planning to return soon. I lived in Auckland before but imagine living costs are very high and maybe I should try another area. Just wanted some tips about how NZ life has changed and what to expect or just book the flight and come home
Old Jun 22nd 2019, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to NZ after 12 years, any tips?

Originally Posted by devonport12
... or just book the flight and come home
If you have that option and are not under any pressure to stay in any particular place for work or family ties, then that's what I would do. Auckland and I guess rest of NZ in some regards has changed massively in the 15 years I have been here, not all of it for the good, but overall much better for me in terms of catching up (probably now just about where the rest of the world was fifteen years ago) but you may of course feel differently if you haven't been here for 12 years. LOL Interest and exchange rates and being able to shop and travel overseas relatively cheaply have also had a huge impact on affordability.

Many of the things that bothered me then were food and shopping related and have seriously moved up a notch and made life more bearable now. Like heating and insulation being in the mainstream, Specsavers, unlimited broadband, hot cooked chicken and a ready made salad from the supermarket, having Netflix and alternative solutions to NZ s dire TV and being able to buy things on line and have them delivered to your door. Wow, who knew they all could be so life changing?

It's 2019 and we just got 'Click and collect' shopping from Pak n Save (shame they still don't deliver) but I am still ridiculously excited about that, along with Mr Kiplings cakes being available at Countdown and generally being able to book and pay for things online - OMG game changer. You can now pay for parking on your phone which was also another fairly recent addition to my life which we had taken for granted in the UK. All of course seemingly little things but looking back they really were the things that made the move to NZ initially seem to me like such a backward step.
Old Jun 23rd 2019, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

If it has been 12 years, I would suggest you (more or less) take an approach like you are coming in brand-new. Research locations remotely, take (at least) two recces, speak to hiring managers in your field about job prospects.

Auckland being the place for you 12 years ago, as you noted, could well be entirely different today. So I think you are on the right track taking a fresh look but I think you should do so from the UK and not arrive in Auckland and then take the fresh look, if that makes sense.
Old Jun 23rd 2019, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

It's just like it was12 years ago except it's changed a bit due to technology.
whatever changes you've seen where you have been living have also happened here, it's as simple as that,

Last edited by Justcol; Jun 23rd 2019 at 9:15 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2019, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

I returned to Christchurch after just over 8 years since I left (although had visited four times since leaving but lived in Oz) , like previous posters have said, things have changed there like elsewhere, although I did notice some things like groceries on par with where I was in Australia as it had become expensive where I was living.

It was easier for me the second time though as I was more familiar with everything.
Old Jul 5th 2019, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Princess_Buttercup is an unknown quantity at this point

We returned home after 9 years - somethings haven't changed, somethings have. You couldn't pay me to live in Auckland - we're in Dunners (which is lovely and the weather is suprisingly good). Life is what you make it - helps to have a job before you touch down or one of you if you're part of a couple.