Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Nursery Nurse NNEB

Nursery Nurse NNEB

Old Jul 22nd 2013, 7:28 am
Just Joined

Grecian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nursery Nurse NNEB

Hello everyone! I'm new to this site. I am in the process of trying to establish my qualification,but it seems I will have to go through NZQA.
I am NNEB qualified (Nursery Nurse) with 25 years experience and 16 years of running my own private nursery. Anybody out there who has had this qualification recognised and under what NZ category and also how many points they were able to establish on the 'points system'
Any advice would be great - thank you in advance!
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 7:51 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nursery Nurse NNEB

Originally Posted by Grecian
Hello everyone! I'm new to this site. I am in the process of trying to establish my qualification,but it seems I will have to go through NZQA.
I am NNEB qualified (Nursery Nurse) with 25 years experience and 16 years of running my own private nursery. Anybody out there who has had this qualification recognised and under what NZ category and also how many points they were able to establish on the 'points system'
Welcome to our little part of BE.
sorry can't help on your qualifications but can point you in the right direction to get you started on whether you can gain a visa.

check out the Immigration website and see how many points you can possibly get on an EOI - everyone will get varying points dependant on things like experience, age, qualifications etc
https://www.immigration.govt.nz/pointsindicator/

check out the visa options as well whilst there.

I had a quick look on the skills list but could not find nursery nurse listed - but I am not that great at searching so hopefully someone with better Immigration website skills will be along soon

let us know how you get on

Last edited by MrsFychan; Jul 22nd 2013 at 7:56 am. Reason: added to
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 7:37 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Grecian,

I've had a quick look around for you. I cannot find nursery nurse on any of the long term skills shortage lists-this would give you bonus points on a Skilled Migrant application. I cannot find NNEB on the list of recognised qualifications either which means you would have to get it assessed by NZQA but...

Does this ANZSCO listing fit with your job, it has nanny listed as skill level 4.
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]+Child+Carers

Unfortunately only those on skill levels 1,2 or 3 can apply on the SMC.
Occupations are ‘skilled’ if they are listed as skill levels one, two or three on the Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO). These are all listed in our operational manual at Appendix 6: List of Skilled Occupations
One thing that I did think of is that as you managed your own nursery, I'm wondering about whether you could apply under the job description 'manager' rather than nursery nurse
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]+Managers
Indicative Skill Level:
In Australia and New Zealand:
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
Do you have any qualifications other than the NNEB? You could substitute the work experience in lieu of a formal qualification. It would mean you getting a job that was classed as skilled rather than a nursery nurse eg manager. Job as manager as a nursery? Worth seeing if that's a goer! If you do not have a qualification you would definitely need a job offer in order to claim enough points to apply.

Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear, you may have to be a bit more creative with your job description
P
Old Feb 18th 2014, 12:44 am
Just Joined

triksta42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grecian
Hi good luck with this one. I arrived here in 1995 with my NNEB & 10 yrs experience in social services, nursery school, hospital & nannying. I got a job in a private daycare centre & paid a phenomenal amount to get my NNEB assessed through NZQA they gave me 100 points & I had to do 1000 hrs! to get another 20 points to be a "person responsible" you can imagine my outrage as I was also training NNEB students in London & was a supervisor & acting director in Australia! I sent numerous letters asking why the basic needs of kiwi kids was sooo different to other children. I understood there would be some training needed to familiarise with Te Reo & Te Whariki. Any way I was not given equivalency & told to do 3 more years study. I was still able to work. At the present time I am looking at upgrading to bachelor teaching ECE through a correspondence course for people with Qualifications & experience who are working in the profession I am doing this through University of Waikato. It's a lot of hassle but after going back to England in 2011 for the 1st time in 17 yrs I couldn't wait to get back home to NZ. Good luck xx but think it's just a case of when in Rome.............