Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

North or South Island? Where to live in NZ?

North or South Island? Where to live in NZ?

Old May 24th 2017, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

CatLady1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile North or South Island? Where to live in NZ?

Hi there,

I have been on holiday to NZ and loved it. I am a nurse and am going through the process of applying to come out to NZ to work as a nurse. I am coming out on my own. I don't like loads of hustle and bustle but at the same time, coming out to a new country and not knowing anyone, I want to be in an area that also has some life! I love the outdoors and why I love NZ.

I just wondered from people's actual experience of living in certain areas, where they might recommend for natural beauty but not too isolated so can meet people and make new friends?
Old May 24th 2017, 8:28 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North or South Island? Where to live in NZ?

personally I wouldn't focus to much on area at the moment but think and look at that if/when you get a job offer.

FWIW - South Island is prettier but seems to have more earthquakes, North Island has active volcanoes & Tsunami risks but seems to have fewer less populated areas than the South.
Old May 24th 2017, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

carriem41 is just really nicecarriem41 is just really nicecarriem41 is just really nicecarriem41 is just really nicecarriem41 is just really nicecarriem41 is just really nicecarriem41 is just really nicecarriem41 is just really nicecarriem41 is just really nice

Id agree, focus on the job, travel when you get here , then decide. I work at Wellington hospital and love Welly. Neat city, easy to get around and out to the bush. Also, easy to make friends as there`s always something going on. Go to meetup.com and you'll see how many groups you can just turn up to! good luck
Old May 27th 2017, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I think some of your criteria are contradictory.

Look at where the nurse shortages are, and build a strategy around that - it will probably be easier to get a job somewhere first and transfer to desirable location later, than to get a job straightaway in desirable location.
Old May 28th 2017, 10:47 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Job offer, then work location, then your commute willingness gives you your possible areas within NZ. If you are lucky to get multiple job offers then you will have more choice but for example you will have a choice of fairly rural through to city apartment living if you get a job offer with any of the Auckland hospitals.

NZ is too big a place to start with a vague "desirable places" criteria, imagine the problem if some one asked you "where in the UK"...
Old May 29th 2017, 3:54 am
Just Joined

ployturn is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely the North.

I'm biased though because I've spent half my life there!
Old May 31st 2017, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say NOT Auckland.

South Island maybe? Christchurch is getting some positive commentary now - finding it's feet again. Personally i wouldn't discount the deeper South, but I get that it doesn't suit everyone. If I had to change I'd certainly give one of the more normal kiwi small cities a go rather than Auckland - New Plymouth, Dunedin, Napier for example.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

CatLady1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for responses everyone!

And thanks carriem41 for meetup site recommendation. That looks like a great site to meet people from. Thanks a lot!

Yes I appreciate what you are all saying....wait until I get a job offer first and be guided by that :-) I will do so.