Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

North or South Island ?

North or South Island ?

Old Jul 13th 2015, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Pigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud of
Default North or South Island ?

Hi

Me and OH currently live about an hours drive out of Auckland. There is a possibility we may get a transfer with our jobs to the South Island. We would live in Mosgiel / Waihola / Milton area.

We have met loads of people who have travelled the South Island and say it's fantastic, however, what's it like living there ? I know it's cold but so was Kent!!

We are both in our 40's, no kids, two dogs.

Thank you
Old Jul 14th 2015, 1:26 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North or South Island ?

Hi,
Fooferfish (Nigel) works at Otago Corrections and lives near Mosgiel, so should be able to give the lowdown on those areas for you relative to living in the city.

Pm him if he does not spot you post in the next few days.

Is sure cold at the moment, but even the aussies are moaning about the winter this year. Is probably 5 degrees cooler here on average than the Waikato and a bit more defined seasons, but still more annual sunshine than Kent.
Dunedin is a good sized city for having great facilities and easy accessibility to them as well as some stunning natural beauty with coastline and mountains.

Cheers,
Southerner
Old Jul 14th 2015, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

Dunedin is a lovely city I always enjoying visiting. What little I've seen of Otago is beautiful. It's not that cold down here in Chch, we have some very hard frosts but it never stays cold once the sun is up. Plus there's the glorious nor'wester

Of course Canterbury is better but...
Old Jul 14th 2015, 8:25 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LauraNotts

Of course Canterbury is better but...
LOL...everyone knows that Marlborough is the best.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
LOL...everyone knows that Marlborough is the best.
Don't be silly, all that fine wine and glorious sunshi...I may have lost this argument...
Old Jul 14th 2015, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Pigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud of

Thank you for your replies.

Southerner, I will pm Fooferfish, thanks for the advice.

Fingers crossed we get a job transfer.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Think Barnsley Matt also made the move from the Auckland area to the Dunedin area, he may be able to help (not sure on job wise). He may recommend you stay in kent mind

Unique place from my visits is Dunedin. If you go to Mosgiel - expect to hear umpteen stories about how Los Angeles stole their idea for Hollywood

The Otago Pennisula near Dunedin is fabulous for wildlife, scenary etc. Probably the best Pennisula around the South Island (sorry Kaikoura)
Old Jul 15th 2015, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

If you need any Dunedin questions answered hit me with a PM, I'm just on my journey back from the UK but I'll reply when I get back.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
Hi,
Fooferfish (Nigel) works at Otago Corrections and lives near Mosgiel, so should be able to give the lowdown on those areas for you relative to living in the city.

Pm him if he does not spot you post in the next few days.

Is sure cold at the moment, but even the aussies are moaning about the winter this year. Is probably 5 degrees cooler here on average than the Waikato and a bit more defined seasons, but still more annual sunshine than Kent.
Dunedin is a good sized city for having great facilities and easy accessibility to them as well as some stunning natural beauty with coastline and mountains.

Cheers,
Southerner
It should be said that Dunedin is not sunnier than let's say Canterbury Kent or most of Kent in general. It is pretty much the same when it comes to annual sunshine. Saying that, you have to look at all factors and what's the point of being in the sunniest location if you can only afford a small apartment with no outside space, or have long working hours. Weather is also just in peoples head.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute

With a handle such as 'Pigdog', is it fair to assume you are into hunting? The wild game in the south is brilliant and plentiful: Deer, Pigs, Goats, rabbits and even Wallabies. Not to mention the fishing - Trout and Salmon in the rivers, Cod, Crayfish, Oysters from the Sea. The landscape is breathtaking especially in winter with snow on the Southern Alps. Sure it's cold, but where else can you have skiing, hunting, rivers, ocean, wineries,lakes, and mountain passes all within an hours drive? The Summers are a bonus, good daylight hours warm weather - not hot, but warm.

I enjoyed living in Kent (Near Maidstone), but love the South Island!

Best wishes.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

chc4me - I'm vegetarian and hate hunting, however OH can't wait to get out there and kill all those furry little creatures and then re live and explain every last little detail to me about the kill !!!!! They say opposites attract.

We both love walking, spent a lot of time in The Lake District.

All these posts are selling the South Island to us even more, just need a job transfer now.

Thanks
Old Jul 16th 2015, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no, I've put my foot in it!! Apologies.....
There are loads of great walking (non-hunting) tracks around. My daughter and I completed the Able Tasman Walk which is around Golden Bay, and also the Queen Charlotte track is beautiful. Further south, Milford and central Otago are areas that change with the seasons and leave one speechless. Best wishes for the transfer.
Old Aug 1st 2015, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

South Island here we come. Transfer approved, be over before the end of October
YIPPEEEEEEEE
Old Aug 1st 2015, 5:10 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Very many congrats. I am pleased for you both.
Old Aug 1st 2015, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pigdog
South Island here we come. Transfer approved, be over before the end of October
YIPPEEEEEEEE
Whereabouts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.