Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand! Where to live?

New Zealand! Where to live?

Old Jun 9th 2003, 9:56 pm
New Zealand Bound

rickandkara is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Zealand! Where to live?

We have just started the process of emigrating to New Zealand. We just don't know where we want to settle yet.
Could anyone recommend an area?

We want to move to the North Island but don't want Wellington or Aukland?
We want the following:
A beach close by.
A community with children.
Good schools.
Good golf courses for the hubby.
Reasonable travelling time to work my husband is a sheet metal worker and I'm a business analyst (although not moving to a main city will limit the job availability for myself).
Friendly people.
Better weather (heard the west side can be a bit wet, but not ruling it out).

Thanks
Kara
Old Jun 9th 2003, 11:17 pm
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New Zealand! Where to live?

Originally posted by rickandkara
We have just started the process of emigrating to New Zealand. We just don't know where we want to settle yet.

We want the following:
A beach close by.
Good schools.
Reasonable travelling time to work my husband is a sheet metal worker and I'm a business analyst (although not moving to a main city will limit the job availability for myself).
Friendly people.

Thanks
Kara
Why the north Island, have you ever been? That was my thoughts before we went to the south Island, there are places on the south that have comparable, if not better weather than the north. Less crowded (not that the north is really compared to UK) Incredible scenery!
My mind has changed since visiting, the south is wonderful, but so is the north.
Don't write it off until you experience it!

Like I have said on other posts on this forum, why limit where you live because of your proffession, try something different, you might like it!
We are choosing Nelson initially, because: It's a nice size city (not too big) wonderful beaches, nice surrounding areas (Abel Tasman National Park) we loved it!
But a complete change of mind again cannot be ruled out,.......live for the moment!!!

Good luck.
Old Jun 9th 2003, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Alan, just curious as to your planned career change! Have decided on what to do? I'm feeling the same really, I'm just not sure what I want to do yet!

Cheers, Gra...
Old Jun 9th 2003, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by garrisondamn

We are choosing Nelson initially, because: It's a nice size city (not too big) wonderful beaches, nice surrounding areas (Abel Tasman National Park) we loved it!
But a complete change of mind again cannot be ruled out,.......live for the moment!!!

Good luck.
Nelson is a good choice, it's recieves the more hours of sunshine than anywhere else in NZ. Their are some great beaches their as well. I expect house prices are pretty reasonable as well. Although calling it a city is a bit of a stretch as I'd say it's pop is approx 30,000.

If your looking for a lifestye change from the UK, this place would be a great choice.
Old Jun 10th 2003, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Scarlett G is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by rickandkara

We want the following:
A beach close by.
Good schools.
Friendly people.

Thanks
Kara
Try checking out Tauranga it has most of what you are looking for, loads of links on this site just do a search.
Old Jun 10th 2003, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by garrisondamn
Why the north Island, have you ever been? That was my thoughts before we went to the south Island, there are places on the south that have comparable, if not better weather than the north. Less crowded (not that the north is really compared to UK) Incredible scenery!
My mind has changed since visiting, the south is wonderful, but so is the north.
Don't write it off until you experience it!

Like I have said on other posts on this forum, why limit where you live because of your proffession, try something different, you might like it!

Good luck.
Did you get to see most of the South Island, CChch & Dunedin?

As for career change, I'm in IT but would do anything else, if the place is right and family are happy then why not!