Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand Teaching

New Zealand Teaching

Old Feb 28th 2004, 11:53 am
NZ or Bust!

Sazzle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Zealand Teaching

Anyone know what the current situation in NZ is for UK qualified teachers..

ICT teacher Years 7-13.

Also any idea as to how long NZQA take to evaluate qualifications?

What do you know about the "teachers Council" over there?

There is a two year "probation" period I beleive. What is involved?

We are looking at moving to Bay of Plenty. Ideas?
Old Feb 28th 2004, 10:34 pm
NZ or Bust!

bounce
Old Feb 29th 2004, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

MaryMc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Zealand Teaching

Try this

http://www.teachnz.govt.nz/pathways/overseas_map.html
Old Feb 29th 2004, 6:09 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Was in the paper the other day that training teachers was becoming a money making industry over here in nz and there are more graduates than there are jobs. But just quoting what I read in the paper so might be a load of rubbish
Old Feb 29th 2004, 7:24 am
NZ or Bust!

The link: I have been to that previously. I hoped for other ppls experiences. What government quangos say will happen can be quite different to reality

The article about teacher training. Again, read that. I think there is truth in it.. but how much, and how does it affect us....?

Also, do I really need to prove how many days I held each job for, including supply work?

Last edited by Sazzle; Mar 1st 2004 at 9:25 pm.
Old Feb 29th 2004, 11:23 am
NZ or Bust!

bounce
Old Feb 29th 2004, 2:41 pm
NZ or Bust!

bouncey bouncey castle
Old Mar 1st 2004, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

Gladrags is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sky
Was in the paper the other day that training teachers was becoming a money making industry over here in nz and there are more graduates than there are jobs. But just quoting what I read in the paper so might be a load of rubbish
This is unquestionably true of Christchurch. 2 Training Colleges but few job vacancies.
Old Mar 1st 2004, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

salmey is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife is a teacher, there are plenty of jobs in NZ in fact there is a shortage of secondary school teachers. The government will pay you $3000 toward relocation expenses so they must be rather desperate. check out the NZ education gazette online it lists all the jobs . The majority of jobs are advertised in Oct Nov to start in jan start of school year, but any time of the year you would pick up work.
Old Mar 1st 2004, 9:24 pm
NZ or Bust!

I have had this recently emailed to me...
Anyone else going to it..

"NZ Ministry of Education preferred recruitment agents Education Personnel and Oasis Education will have representatives looking to meet well trained, experienced and motivated teachers at Emigrate 2004, Fri 19 - Sun 21 March"

Also interesting about teaching. A colleague has returned from NZ this weekend.

Apparently no vacancies for primary, not enough teachers for secondary.. they say..

Ive tried the edgazette route... didnt see too much of interest in it..and nothing now.

I am mail dropping to schools in the area that were moving to. See if anything turns up.
Old Mar 1st 2004, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

Akaubear is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok - here's the reality in the Bay of Plenty!!

We arrived in Papamoa in January last year. My husband is a secondary school Maths teacher and everyone, and I mean everyone said "You'll have no problem finding a job!".

Firstly, we arrived just after all the vacancies had appeared (as salmey said - the majority are advertised in Sept/Oct/Nov) However, there were one or two relief (supply) positions. He applied, but didn't get them.

He then went on a course in Rotorua that was aimed at "retraining" teachers returning to education, and also teachers from abroad.

During the course, all the vacancies started coming out (in the Ed Gazette). He applied for all the jobs he could locally (Tauranga), but all he got asked was "Do you have experience of teaching in a New Zealand school�, which, of course he didn’t. One “kind� person even told him he’d never get a teaching job in the area! :lecture:

With that in mind, he applied for work outside the area, and he was able to get a teaching job at a school in Rotorua (with a two hour daily commute!) He started a year after we arrived.

Realistically, in my opinion, I think a teacher from the UK will find it difficult to get a position in Tauranga. After-all, it’s such a great place to live that everyone wants to live here, so they get the pick of the bunch!

There certainly are shortages, but they tend to be in the major cities, or places where people don’t want to work….

Sorry of this sounds a bit gloomy. And anyway - it may be different for ICT.

If there’s anything else I can help you with, feel free to reply and/or PM me.

All the best with the direct contact. That’s a good way to go here!!

Nicola
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 7:02 pm
NZ or Bust!

I had assumed that there may be a "we do it this way over here" situation, but had kindof hoped that in education it was less prevalent.

Oh well, hopefully I can use my NZ heritage at this point.. express myself as an NZer who had the fortune to be trained in the UK..etc etc

and, yes, lots of leg work
Old Mar 5th 2004, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

Akaubear is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello again!

We just got sent this from Teach NZ & I thought you might be interested.

Find a New Zealand teaching job on the M25

There's no limit to what secondary teachers - and their families - can achieve in the right environment. Ever-increasing rolls mean growing career opportunities for UK trained teachers in New Zealand secondary schools.

NZ Ministry of Education preferred recruitment agents Education Personnel and Oasis Education will have representatives looking to meet well trained, experienced and motivated teachers at Emigrate 2004, Fri 19 - Sun 21 March at the Sandown Exhibition Centre, Sandown Park Racecourse, Portsmouth Road, Esher, Surrey (Junction 10, M25).

They'll be joining TeachNZ in helping teachers explore their options and make registrations of interest. Demand is particularly strong for teachers of English, computing/ICT, maths, physics or other sciences, technology or physical education.

Or, if you can't make it to Emigrate 2004, TeachNZ, Education Personnel and Oasis Education are holding information seminars throughout the UK. You can also find us down the information superhighway at www.TeachNZ.govt.nz, www.oasis-edu.co.nz or www.edperson.co.nz

BRISTOL
4:30pm & 8pm, 23 March
University of Bristol
Department of Physics
Frank Lecture Theatre
The Hawthorns
Woodland Road
Bristol BS8 1UQ

CARDIFF
7:30pm, 24 & 25 March
University of Wales Institute Cardiff
Cyncoed Campus
Lecture Theatre
Cyncoed Road
Cardiff CF23 6XD

BIRMINGHAM
4:30pm & 7:30pm, 26 March
Apollo Hotel
Conference Room
Hagley Road
Edgbaston
Birmingham B16 9RA

EDINBURGH
3:30pm & 7:30pm, 28 March
Edinburgh First
The John McIntyre Centre
Prestonfield Rm
18 Holyrood Park Road
Edinburgh EH16 5AY

Education Personnel will run two additional seminars as follows:

BOURNEMOUTH
6pm & 8pm 17 March
The Elstead Hotel
12-14 Knyveton Road
East Cliff, Bournemouth

MANCHESTER
2pm & 4pm 27 March
University of Manchester
Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PL
Jubilee Room, Refectory Building
(www.man.ac.uk/welcome/maps.html)
Parking is in Cecil street car park

With the wide range of seminars available, we hope you will find one that suits. We look forward to meeting up with you!

Best wishes,
Irene Lynch, TeachNZ,
Hamish Watson, Education Personnel Ltd and
Martin Strang, Oasis Education Ltd