Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A New Zealand summer

A New Zealand summer

Old Mar 6th 2004, 6:21 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default A New Zealand summer

For you guys that have experienced one.

How do they compare to the long hot months over here in the UK?

Anything suprise you about them too hot, not hot enough, not long enough ect..?
Old Mar 6th 2004, 6:48 pm
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

this might be a touchy subject for the sunseekers over here.The North Island did'nt get much of a summer but the south of the South Island got a scorcher.We in Otago had a drought and days of fierce sunshine,but having said that its nothing like Australias hot spots.It was a darn sight hotter here these last two summers than i've ever had in the UK with more sunshine,less rain and more blue skies.Quite good if your into that sort of thing eh.
Old Mar 6th 2004, 11:18 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A New Zealand summer

Originally posted by Jack Daws
For you guys that have experienced one.

How do they compare to the long hot months over here in the UK?

Anything suprise you about them too hot, not hot enough, not long enough ect..?
a New Zealand summer has the ability to be too hot, not hot enough, too long, not long enough, too humid, too windy all in one year.

In the north, certainly more humid than in the UK....
Old Mar 7th 2004, 3:39 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Not more chat about the weather

I tell you - it is like been in the UK the way everyone goes on about what a bad summer it has been over here - without exception every single Kiwi we have spoken to has assured us that this summer is NOT typical and they are very sorry we have had to endure such awful weather.

The last three days have been bright and sunny with fantastic views of the mountain and fairly warm - beats March in the UK!!
Old Mar 7th 2004, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

sven37 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OOOoooooo

Don't want toooo hot, thats why we chose NZ....

How's it going Poll?
Old Mar 7th 2004, 6:51 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Dunedin is on the coast so benefits from coastal breezes which cool things down a bit. Eg we travelled inland from Dunedin (16 C) to QT, steadily increasing temperature all the way until we hit 33 C) , then same thing in reverse on the way back.

Overall: not bad as a summer, still enough showers to keep the garden green and pleasant though they did slap a hosepipe ban on us. Plenty of sunbathing weather though you can't enjoy it like in the UK with all the slip slop slapping being so necessary.

Probably not as good as a UK '76 summer in Cornwall but better than most bits of the UK summer in most years.
Old Mar 7th 2004, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

Akaubear is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll let you know once Summer is over (it's been gorgeous here today )

Nicola
Old Mar 7th 2004, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Same with us Pollster, every Kiwi assures us this has not been a typical first summer for us. My Mum and Grandma are here visiting us, and people keep blaming them for bringing all this unseasonal weather, but they had a glorious summer last year in the UK. Must add the last few days have been just perfect, not too hot, not too sunny and only a hint of humidity.

Gill
Old Mar 7th 2004, 9:18 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds alright.

But which do you prefer UK summer or a normal (not this year) New Zealand one?
Old Mar 7th 2004, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

Ambrose is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Gill and Rob
Same with us Pollster, every Kiwi assures us this has not been a typical first summer for us. My Mum and Grandma are here visiting us, and people keep blaming them for bringing all this unseasonal weather, but they had a glorious summer last year in the UK. Must add the last few days have been just perfect, not too hot, not too sunny and only a hint of humidity.

Gill
Auckland has yet to have a summer!

I have a digital thermometer that reads inside & outside temps as well as humidity. Last year it peaked @ 34.2 deg with 10 days of straight 30’s, but this year it has only broken the 30 mark once. 88% humidity tho…

But as they say if you don’t like the Auckland weather just wait 5 minutes.

Overall, probably the worst summer I can remember.
Old Mar 8th 2004, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Ambrose
Auckland has yet to have a summer!

I have a digital thermometer that reads inside & outside temps as well as humidity. Last year it peaked @ 34.2 deg with 10 days of straight 30’s, but this year it has only broken the 30 mark once. 88% humidity tho…

But as they say if you don’t like the Auckland weather just wait 5 minutes.

Overall, probably the worst summer I can remember.
Thats the beauty of Auckland you don't get the scorching temp you get in most of Oz. I seem to remember that from about Nov to Easter the daytime temp would be between 20-30C with night time temp about 10C less.
For me thats pretty ideal, and thats why I prefer Brisbane winters now I'm in Oz as they are like Auckland summers.
Old Mar 8th 2004, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice

[Quote) Same with us Pollster, every Kiwi assures us this has not been a typical first summer for us

They've been telling us that for the last THREE years !!
Old Mar 8th 2004, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pollster
Not more chat about the weather

I tell you - it is like been in the UK the way everyone goes on about what a bad summer it has been over here - without exception every single Kiwi we have spoken to has assured us that this summer is NOT typical and they are very sorry we have had to endure such awful weather.

The last three days have been bright and sunny with fantastic views of the mountain and fairly warm - beats March in the UK!!
They kept telling us that 2 years ago; blamed it in the Sydney bush fires then
Old Mar 8th 2004, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Have to say this non event Kiwi Summer beats a summer in the NE of England

Gill
Old Mar 8th 2004, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice

Yes, it's not been a bad few days, probably gets darker earlier than in the NE of England though !
I would say, it's not so much that the summers are better but that the winters are definately more pleasant.you get lots of gorgeous sunny days and clear blue skys, you can walk around in T Shirt and Shorts and pretend its'summer.....untill it gets dark at 4.30 !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.