New Zealand Hype

Old Sep 22nd 2017, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand Hype

Originally Posted by MattKay
Is it true about the Kiwis.. that they are really friendly and more laid back approach.
Kiwis certainly have a more laid back approach to life.....she'll be alright is a term often used here but can be infuriating at times.
Wouldn't say they are super friendly, just normal in that regard but making friends with a kiwi or kiwis can be quite a challenge but in my opinion they don't have a need to be your friend as they are in their own country surrounded by lifelong friends and family.
When one migrates to another country you need to have an excellent relationship with the person you are travelling with as you'll only have each other to talk to and support 24/7 for a while.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Is it true about the Kiwis.. that they are really friendly and more laid back approach.
I found Kiwi's to be friendly ... But even after 13yrs I wouldn't say any of them became "mates" like I had back home.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Is the the New Zealand Hype real?
When you say 'hype' what exactly do you mean and where are you seeing / or hearing it.

If you're hearing nothing but the glowing tourist brochure rosy tinted view of 100% pure, green, clean, friendly mantras then yeah that is a whole lot of hype.

As long as you are aware that you must balance out the hype and you only have to peek a little bit below the surface to see the reality. If you're reading the local news and keeping up with current affairs then you'll see the rosy glow start to fade, the clean and and green, well yeah and nah.

The challenges and benefits people face are as varied as they are elsewhere in the world, with benefits being unique to individuals and often difficult to see or quantify. As long as you appreciate that life in NZ is not all unicorns and rainbows; many people are are less well off, have way more stress and working harder and longer hours than in the UK. The list goes on but we have more than our fair share of crime, poverty, pollution, shocking social problems, unnaffordable housing, homelessness, family violence and a health system that fails a lot of people.

I'm not seeing the hype or where exactly is it coming from; nobody except perhaps some one-eyed Kiwis and folk that never left NZ and know no better are saying that NZ is the be all and end all.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
I found Kiwi's to be friendly ... But even after 13yrs I wouldn't say any of them became "mates" like I had back home.
I have been here a similar amount of time and can honestly say I have established more deep and meaningful relationships with folks I have met on a fortnight's holiday than I have in twelve years of being here.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 11:10 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I don't really get the word 'hype' in this context either.

For any country there is 'good hype' & there is 'bad hype' . Neither of which might be relevant to oneself .

Best thought I have is that if it feels right for you guys, give it a go. No-one else can say how it will be for you. They can only give their own personal opinions and experiences.

New Zealand is just another country with the self same issues as many other countries. It also has some really good points in its favour for many.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 3:07 am
Just Joined

Skoskie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I have been here a similar amount of time and can honestly say I have established more deep and meaningful relationships with folks I have met on a fortnight's holiday than I have in twelve years of being here.
Opposite for us - been here under two years but right from the get-go, we've found people to be really friendly and inclusive. Happy to accept us into existing groups of friends. And they are genuinely there for us and have proved it. Maybe we've just been very lucky.
But I think it's true what someone said on here - like anywhere else, people who have lived in one town all their lives are less likely to be out going to strangers than those who have travelled a bit .That's the same everywhere I think.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 5:52 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

All good from us 2 as well. Went back to UK in April, safe to say I was happy to be back in NZ. UK is just not for us and super pleased to be back on NZ soil. We have a fantastic lifestyle that we honestly can't replicate in the UK and that became apparent on our trip back. Some people would envy us, others will not. It's all subjective at the end of the day.

Come out on a WHV and enjoy yourself! See and do as much as you can. If you like what you see then look at staying more permanently if you can. If it's not for you then move on with a crap load of great memories and photos
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

nikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond repute

Basically... this is home!

We wouldn't change or move at all. Our friend network is amazing, got fantastic close friends. Our experience has been pretty easy. I know everyone's experience is different.

We never put a time limit on coming out, our view was that doing that stops you from settling. We came with the view this was us... and it is!
Old Sep 24th 2017, 9:13 am
Just Joined

GlynnY81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Justcol
We are Prison officer and nurse
have never had so much expendable income
homes have more space and bigger gardens than my UK home
I dont have traffic or congestion problems
love my job
love where I live
love NZ

come and embrace the difference dont come and compare it
Hi Justcol, Sorry to hijack your post MattKay, I am a Motorhome Technician and my wife is a nurse, we are planning a big move I have a post in this forum explaining and asking the questions
Where have you settled, the main reason I ask is for my wife and where is best to secure a permanent nursing job full time
Cheers
Glynn 👍😏
Old Sep 25th 2017, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

ah thats great news, well i am Quantity Surveyor and my partner is a nurse.
Where abouts do you live?
Originally Posted by GlynnY81
Where have you settled, the main reason I ask is for my wife and where is best to secure a permanent nursing job full time
Cheers
Glynn � ����� ����
I am now 9 years in NZ
I started in Cambridge in the Waikato for a few years, then moved to Auckland for a couple, hated it and moved back to Cambridge
Cambridge then grew at a ridiculous rate and I felt lost its charm, it became almost a suburb of Auckland with "Auckland types" pouring
in, driving up prices and taking away the friendly feel that the place had. We sold up and moved to a tiny town of just 450 people 100 km
south of Dunedin.

As for nursing jobs, there is no "best place". The wife was a nurse in Auckland when we met, we moved to Cambridge and she found a job
in Hamilton at Waikato Hospital, she also did some district nursing for a private company. We moved to Lawrence and she found a job at
the small hospital in Balclutha and also works casual at the near by prison. there are jobs everywhere.
Many UK nurses turn up in NZ thinking their UK experience will be of some benefit. Generally they start at the bottom
and prove themselves then move into the jobs they want. You have to get your "kiwi experience" under your belt first

I guess the point I'm trying make is, decide where you want to live and then find work, because you will find work where ever you are
Sometimes you might have to be patient and wait a little but it will come. Sorry if thats not very helpful but it's how we have found things and I can only speak from experiance
I guess bigger towns and cities will have more opportunities but they will also have more applicants

Last edited by Justcol; Sep 25th 2017 at 8:11 am.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 9:12 am
Just Joined

GlynnY81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Justcol
I am now 9 years in NZ
I started in Cambridge in the Waikato for a few years, then moved to Auckland for a couple, hated it and moved back to Cambridge
Cambridge then grew at a ridiculous rate and I felt lost its charm, it became almost a suburb of Auckland with "Auckland types" pouring
in, driving up prices and taking away the friendly feel that the place had. We sold up and moved to a tiny town of just 450 people 100 km
south of Dunedin.

As for nursing jobs, there is no "best place". The wife was a nurse in Auckland when we met, we moved to Cambridge and she found a job
in Hamilton at Waikato Hospital, she also did some district nursing for a private company. We moved to Lawrence and she found a job at
the small hospital in Balclutha and also works casual at the near by prison. there are jobs everywhere.
Many UK nurses turn up in NZ thinking their UK experience will be of some benefit. Generally they start at the bottom
and prove themselves then move into the jobs they want. You have to get your "kiwi experience" under your belt first

I guess the point I'm trying make is, decide where you want to live and then find work, because you will find work where ever you are
Sometimes you might have to be patient and wait a little but it will come. Sorry if thats not very helpful but it's how we have found things and I can only speak from experiance
I guess bigger towns and cities will have more opportunities but they will also have more applicants
Hi, thanks for your reply, any advice is appreciated in our circumstance, we are focused settling in Tauranga or the local area as my wife's brother, Sister-in-law and other extended members of family to her live there, a few people have mentioned that nurses struggle to find permanent positions in the area as I believe the Hospital is only small, my wife is looking all the time but is still in the process of getting all her competencies, IELTS, transcripts etc sorted so our move is planned for toward the back end of 2018, I'm sure she will find something as someone advised looking at working in the community nursing sector, thanks for the reply 👍
Glynn
Old Sep 26th 2017, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GlynnY81
Hi, thanks for your reply, any advice is appreciated in our circumstance, we are focused settling in Tauranga or the local area as my wife's brother, Sister-in-law and other extended members of family to her live there, a few people have mentioned that nurses struggle to find permanent positions in the area as I believe the Hospital is only small, my wife is looking all the time but is still in the process of getting all her competencies, IELTS, transcripts etc sorted so our move is planned for toward the back end of 2018, I'm sure she will find something as someone advised looking at working in the community nursing sector, thanks for the reply 👍
Glynn
Many people looking to live Tauranga way have to compromise and go for work in the bigger Waikato Hospital 100KM away or even Auckland. Means you get your foot in the door so to speak and are able to get a visa to live and work here. Use it as a stepping stone. Once here you can plot your way to Tauranga or wherever. You will be tied to a DHB job for probably 2 years depending on visa type.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 11:49 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
When you say 'hype' what exactly do you mean and where are you seeing / or hearing it.

If you're hearing nothing but the glowing tourist brochure rosy tinted view of 100% pure, green, clean, friendly mantras then yeah that is a whole lot of hype....

Reminds me, I was at a recent conference where a senior Tourism NZ marketing exec was talking about the 100% Pure brand. In answer to a pointed question from the floor, he responded that it is only kiwis who seem to have a problem with the brand. Overseas tourists never, ever complain that the brand did not live up to expectations. The opposite is true - customer satisfaction remains very high by global standards.

He didn't dispute that kiwis should keep focusing on the environment, but for the moment the 100% Pure brand was doing what it should - attracting tourist interest.

My take on it - is potential immigrants should be looking well beyond the Tourism NZ brochures. Seems obvious, but maybe it isn't.
I think that is what others are also referring to when inquiring about "what hype?"
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
I think the same, they are generally very friendly, but to actually make friends is another story. But I found the same working in Europe, takes months before people like the France and Belgians actually start to accept you.