Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Holiday Visa with no ongoing flight

Holiday Visa with no ongoing flight

Old Sep 28th 2017, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

shuvit is on a distinguished road
Default Holiday Visa with no ongoing flight

Hi - our residency visa is being processed and I am hoping (finger crossed, touching wood etc etc) that all will go through smoothly, my husband is currently in Wellington working under a work visa, we had the points for eoi so applied in August for residency visa
So - our home has been sold in UK and myself and children are hoping to join him next month, but as I don't have a residency visa as yet, wondering how strict they are letting people in without ongoing flight tickets for when the holiday visa expires - obviously we will have the money from the house sale to prove we have the $$ to show we can provide for ourselves and enough to buy a flight ticket to leave the country 'if' our residency visas aren't processed beforehand
Anyone any ideas/suggestions??
Old Sep 28th 2017, 6:50 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday Visa with no ongoing flight

My understanding is if you do not have an outgoing flight booked they will not let you board. Maybe some one knows differently but your could call the airline.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 10:19 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
My understanding is if you do not have an outgoing flight booked they will not let you board. Maybe some one knows differently but your could call the airline.
Yup, second that. You wont get on the plane.

If you can afford it, book a return ticket, that you can cancel the return portion or get a cheap onward flight from NZ to OZ or some such place.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you both, I shall arrange for flights out of the country after 3 months in that case xx
Old Sep 29th 2017, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. You'll be refused access to the flight without onward travel arrangements, but you can be smart about it.....the onward travel doesn't have to be back to the UK. So long as you are able to enter the country you are travelling to from NZ you'll be fine, therefore you could book a ticket to Aus via an Air New Zealand cheapie deal...you'll just have to make sure you have applied for an AUS tourist visa (which are free and electronic).
Old Sep 30th 2017, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Money in the bank counts for nothing, if you aint got a ticket, you're not coming in
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info guys

Could I just double check - that I don't need to apply for a holiday visa being a British citizen as the UK is a waiver country - I'm just convinced that there will be a hicup when I get to the airport with the children

Thanks for advice re. OZ tickets, found some at a decent price too
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 1:27 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shuvit
Thanks for the info guys

Could I just double check - that I don't need to apply for a holiday visa being a British citizen as the UK is a waiver country - I'm just convinced that there will be a hicup when I get to the airport with the children

Thanks for advice re. OZ tickets, found some at a decent price too
You will need an eVisa for Oz for your ticket onward there to be valid...free and online (bit like the US ESTA but free to obtain)
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by simonsi
You will need an eVisa for Oz for your ticket onward there to be valid...free and online (bit like the US ESTA but free to obtain)
Yes, as I thought - thank you
But nothing required for NZ visiting visa (if residency visa still hasn't been sorted?)
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 2:15 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, as I thought - thank you
But nothing required for NZ visiting visa (if residency visa still hasn't been sorted?)
Nope. You can walk in and stay for 6mths (I think), with nothing else required than the onward ticket/visa and enough funds.

Note a US ESTA is still required if you are transiting on the way here (even on the short LA-stop NZ flights).
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by simonsi
Nope. You can walk in and stay for 6mths (I think), with nothing else required than the onward ticket/visa and enough funds.

Note a US ESTA is still required if you are transiting on the way here (even on the short LA-stop NZ flights).
That's great - going via Abu Dhabi and Sydney, staying away from the US - but now you have me wondering if I need anything for transit there...
...another thing to add to my check list 😭
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Could I just double check - that I don't need to apply for a holiday visa being a British citizen as the UK is a waiver country
This is copied from New Zealand Immigration website list of visa-waiver countries
United Kingdom (must have the right to reside permanently in the United Kingdom)
https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...ver-countries/

- I'm just convinced that there will be a hicup when I get to the airport with the children
Make sure that you can produce evidence of your onward-ticket at the airport when you check-in.

That is what usually catches out people that visit New Zealand on holiday then arrange a separate side-trip to Australia while they are here. At the airport in Australia returning to NZ they find they are not allowed to board because they haven't taken their travel documents showing their departure from New Zealand with them.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

The passenger card you all need to complete on the flight in to NZ acts as your visitor visa and once through Immigration it is held electronically. UK is a visa waiver country and you can stay for 6 months.
You do not need anything for Dubai.
You may need a visit / transit visa for Sydney....all depends how long you'll be there. If its just transiting through the airport under 8hrs I think you'll be good. If its more than 8hrs you may need a transit visa. If you wish to leave the airport then you'll need a visit visa ? All pretty simple to arrange free online. Check out Immigration Australia website.
Dubai are shit hot on baggage weights and sizes. The check in desk staff are ruled with an iron fist. Make sure your within the airline stated limits (assume your Emirates) or they'll be slapping you with charges. We got stung for 440 quids worth, argued the toss for over an hour to no avail.
Also, if you are flying onwards from your entry airport in NZ remember the baggage allowances are different between Emirates and Air NZ or Jet Star.

You will need a visit visa if you do end up flying to Aus prior to your NZ visit visa expiring.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

PB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond repute

That's great - going via Abu Dhabi and Sydney, staying away from the US - but now you have me wondering if I need anything for transit there...
...another thing to add to my check list 😭
Etihad then but check their luggage allowance if flying economy as could be a mean 23kg if buying their saver fare versus Emirates/Qantas/Singapore 30kg. The economy classic or flex fares though seem very generous 2x23kg on Etihad, check anyway as they are always changing

Last edited by PB65; Oct 3rd 2017 at 1:51 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Bobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PB65
Etihad then but check their luggage allowance if flying economy as could be a mean 23kg versus Emirates/Qantas/Singapore 30kg
Pretty sure it was 23Kg when I flew with tham last year, but PB65 is correct, well worth checking before you travel.

Last edited by Bobogib; Oct 3rd 2017 at 1:51 pm. Reason: hit my numbers the wrong way round.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.