Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand Horse and Dog Life

New Zealand Horse and Dog Life

Old Nov 10th 2003, 10:42 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by mumomonty
Hey JaneyRay, I'm sorry but I might HAVE to go to NZ. Long story andwe've all got em us Expats. Take care, appreciate your info.

oh well, wherever destiny takes you.
Old Nov 11th 2003, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Back to dogs - must say there is a surprising lack of horses here. My Lab arrived on Sunday and after a nervous start was swimming in the sea and being her normal cheeky self by Monday. It is very worrying though - poor blighters haven't got a clue waht is going on.

Roger
Old Nov 11th 2003, 4:30 am
Have only gone and GOT IT

Bed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: G Gs in Oz

Originally posted by mumomonty
Hi Ya'all, Here's my experience on horse life in Oz. I don't know about NZ.

It's a word doc.
Thanks for the doc wifie will read with great interest.
Old Nov 11th 2003, 4:36 am
Have only gone and GOT IT

Bed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: G Gs in Oz

Originally posted by janeyray
Western Australia has loads of horses and livery/aggistment yards but you would have to have a good look around to find a decent one. I kept my horse on a livery yard back in the UK and it was nothing like the yards here.

If you are coming here to carry on where you left off in the UK as far as Novice eventing goes, think again! I competed in Affiliated dressage at Elementary level and it's a world apart here.

The Australians have a different attitude to 'working animals' than the British and a far lower standard of riding/animal care.

Events are so far apart that a friend of mine thinks a 6 hour journey with her horse in a trailer/float is a short journey!!!

The majority of events are held though the winter because as the warmer weather draws in it is far to hot to compete. The flies are a constant battle and when it's in the 30's riding is no longer a pleasure. Bush riding is very limited as horses aren't allowed on many trails, and no-one rides out on the roads!!!

The 'hard feed' is very different to that in the UK and expensive. They have hay shortages and it can be very pricey! the majority of horses I see are skinny due to the lack of grazing as you can imagine, further south the grazing is better.

As mentioned before the farrier care is some what hit and miss too! A lot of the methods are behind the UK.
Most of the horses are expensive warmblood imports or TB's from the race track, which for you would be great!!

The vets are ok but you have to wonder why most of them go to the UK for training and experience. I don't know many British vets that train in Oz!!! They seem to be less concerned than the large animal vets in the UK.

Have an open mind and learn Western riding, they love that here!!
Yea i could cope with western riding alot more comfi for sure, read post with interest have experienced working horses in Oz and i would agree to care etc. Wifie is the event rider i the lorry jocky, was thinking of exporting lorry and hos, but @ 18 hands hes to big for the suit case so was looking at Int race horse transport. Pound for pound its far far far cheeper than exporting a doggie or pussy.
thanks again.