Reload this Page >

NEW ZEALAND CHCH arrive Jan 11 2004

NEW ZEALAND CHCH arrive Jan 11 2004

Old Dec 6th 2003, 11:38 am
Adios UK, I'm in ChCh, NZ

DMAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NEW ZEALAND CHCH arrive Jan 11 2004

Hey all,

Thought I'd do a post to give some of you who are thinking of moving to NZ, and some of you "pulling your hair out" some optimism.

We decided to get the ball rolling back in July 2003 properly, reference emigrating from the UK.

We spent a good month researching everything, from finding this GREAT www site, (www.britishexpats.com) and looking into ALL possible catgeories you could apply under to get into NZ, to childcare costs, costs of electrical goods, cars. We were also lucky to have a great friend living in ChCh who did a lot of ground work for us.

In August I secured a job with an Australian company who wanted a NZ office. My new employer contacted NZIS and discussed the business plan and with help from NZIS it was decided that a "Specific Work Permit" would be relevant. The main criteria of this is that the business would be a New Zealand incorporated company and registered for tax, with NZ bank accounts. Also it is critical to document and explain the business plan. For our business we showed how business would be increased through import and export, how we would employ local staff, all with the financial and logistical support of an Australian parent company.

To cut a long story short...... we went to NZIS in London on a Thursday, took along job offer documentation, signed contracts, copies of Company incorporation, bank account details, basically bloody everything we had, the 3 year Work VISA's turned up a week Monday after. 12 days.

We also sold everything, we have shipped 34 boxes of clothes, photos and sentimental pieces, but thats it. Allied Pickfords were great and really professional.

I think we were lucky, BUT, we had ALL the documentation we could ever have had, we had done medicals and police checks even though these were not necessary for the category we were applying under. Specific Work permit is meant to be for 12 months, but when we showed we had our medicals and police references, they decided 36 month work visas on the spot.

In our case, I believe we got a swift result due to:

PLENTY OF RESEARCH, know about the area you are going to. (The chap we saw did a bit of digging when we saw him, maybe to test us ?)

If you are joining a company, KNOW EVERYTHING about that company, what it does, why your company is a success, who its customers are, who its competitors are.

Make sure your paperwork is in a clear and concise order. We didn't have it in gold wallets or anything, but we had, relevant paperwork together, not just a great big pile in any old order.

Lastly, be passionate about what your doing, hopefully you already are passionate about moving to NZ by this stage, SELL YOURSELF, ask the person at NZIS where do they come from, ask questions. With the new Immigration procedures it is clearer and clearer that NZ wants people who can "add value" to NZ, so make every effort you can to make a good impression.

Good luck to all of you thinking about the move, go for it, whats the worst that can happen ????

Darren
"sweet as"
Old Dec 6th 2003, 11:44 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: NEW ZEALAND CHCH arrive Jan 11 2004

Originally posted by DMAN
Hey all,

Thought I'd do a post to give some of you who are thinking of moving to NZ, and some of you "pulling your hair out" some optimism.

We decided to get the ball rolling back in July 2003 properly, reference emigrating from the UK.

We spent a good month researching everything, from finding this GREAT www site, (www.britishexpats.com) and looking into ALL possible catgeories you could apply under to get into NZ, to childcare costs, costs of electrical goods, cars. We were also lucky to have a great friend living in ChCh who did a lot of ground work for us.

In August I secured a job with an Australian company who wanted a NZ office. My new employer contacted NZIS and discussed the business plan and with help from NZIS it was decided that a "Specific Work Permit" would be relevant. The main criteria of this is that the business would be a New Zealand incorporated company and registered for tax, with NZ bank accounts. Also it is critical to document and explain the business plan. For our business we showed how business would be increased through import and export, how we would employ local staff, all with the financial and logistical support of an Australian parent company.

To cut a long story short...... we went to NZIS in London on a Thursday, took along job offer documentation, signed contracts, copies of Company incorporation, bank account details, basically bloody everything we had, the 3 year Work VISA's turned up a week Monday after. 12 days.

We also sold everything, we have shipped 34 boxes of clothes, photos and sentimental pieces, but thats it. Allied Pickfords were great and really professional.

I think we were lucky, BUT, we had ALL the documentation we could ever have had, we had done medicals and police checks even though these were not necessary for the category we were applying under. Specific Work permit is meant to be for 12 months, but when we showed we had our medicals and police references, they decided 36 month work visas on the spot.

In our case, I believe we got a swift result due to:

PLENTY OF RESEARCH, know about the area you are going to. (The chap we saw did a bit of digging when we saw him, maybe to test us ?)

If you are joining a company, KNOW EVERYTHING about that company, what it does, why your company is a success, who its customers are, who its competitors are.

Make sure your paperwork is in a clear and concise order. We didn't have it in gold wallets or anything, but we had, relevant paperwork together, not just a great big pile in any old order.

Lastly, be passionate about what your doing, hopefully you already are passionate about moving to NZ by this stage, SELL YOURSELF, ask the person at NZIS where do they come from, ask questions. With the new Immigration procedures it is clearer and clearer that NZ wants people who can "add value" to NZ, so make every effort you can to make a good impression.

Good luck to all of you thinking about the move, go for it, whats the worst that can happen ????

Darren
"sweet as"
The worst that could happen is what happened to us....$30,000 cost for nothing, but to return to the UK.....it's not always a bed of roses....

Rich.
Old Dec 7th 2003, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Good luck to you. Have been in Hawkes Bay 3 months and love it.
Roger
Old Dec 7th 2003, 12:04 pm
Banned

sado is an unknown quantity at this point

hi roger we will be arriving in hawkes bay mid jan and was wondering about the rental market any info would be good 3 beds is what we need