Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is New Zealand a 3rd World Country

Is New Zealand a 3rd World Country

Old Apr 29th 2010, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is New Zealand a 3rd World Country

Originally Posted by irnbru14
It is imposible to get Birdseye Potato Waffles here, so yes, I think for that reason alone you could class it as a third world country
I find it kind of little funny that... Kiwis don't sell waffles ... neither popular here....? Why?
I do miss good Belgian waffles sometimes, but...just try to forget as I can't get them here anyway (and I don't want to make it myself)......... well I eat some rip-off crap plain crepe...instead...

Have you tried Waffles (Breaky menu) at the Leuven? They are pretty expensive and give you so little... but the taste ok...(to me... ) had waffles there every weekend last year,,, so... dont feel like having them any more!,,,,

as for the internet... I think internet is fine here (to me )

the damp leaky crud NZ housing -- it definitely makes me think NZ is a 3rd world country... Everyday I think my place...IS SO DISGUSTING and I HATE it!!! YES, It DOES BOTHER ME A LOT as it makes me unpleasant - (most Kiwis find ok....but I am NOT!!). My parents's house (Brooklyn) leaked so badly.. I don't even know how much money they had spent for that crap house for 8 years...My dad used to buy heaps of paint ... and lots of hard work...on a regular base.. shit.

I lived in several countries when I was young, and must say NZ housing is the worst so far.... I was shocked .. when I saw our first renting house in Auckland.... It was truly awful. the owner was Chinese and we lived with their big dirty noisy smelly old dog... unlawful. yucky Chinks.

Last edited by crap coffee; Apr 29th 2010 at 1:28 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pricklykina
If nz "grows up" to be britain then we're all in trouble...hopefully we "grow up" to be a scandinavian country.
No.. We are growing up to be a North American country.. that's what John Key s been doing... unfortunately..

Last edited by crap coffee; Apr 29th 2010 at 1:25 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pricklykina
If nz "grows up" to be britain then we're all in trouble...hopefully we "grow up" to be a scandinavian country.
No chance of that!!!!!!!!!!! NZ (but especially Canterbury) man will need to evolve a few thousand years to become that sophisticated.

Grunt grunt.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru14
It is imposible to get Birdseye Potato Waffles here, so yes, I think for that reason alone you could class it as a third world country

NZ has its benefits and its pitfalls like most places, our broadband is pretty awful at times and frustrates the hell out of me when you are trying to stream anything, there is a major issue with leaky and cold/damp housing stock and a issue of a brain drain to Aussie and WAY too much damned Rugby!!!

On the plus side the coffee is fantastic!!

But it is still a relatively young growing country and as long as the good things outweigh the bad then its all good.
Someone else who perchance does not like rugby..is it just the 2 of us..will you be my friend?
Old Apr 29th 2010, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

bro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Genesis
Someone else who perchance does not like rugby..is it just the 2 of us..will you be my friend?
Rugby is so overated in NZ and so boring I think everyone is bored of it. But if you took rugby away from New Zealand a lot of people would lose any identity that they have.

Still NZ is NOT a third world country I'm sure anyone who came from a 3rd world country would not believe how comfortable and warm the houses are. Yes we lack a few shops but if Primark is the place you miss go back and go there and be trampled for 30 minutes, queue for 40 minutes all for items of clothing that last for 20 minutes. Bonus!

A friend of mine lives in Rochester at the end of his street is a huge housing association block of flats, looks like Beirut and he takes the long way round because he doesn't like to walk that way. I have never come across this situation in NZ anywhere.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pestman

OK thanks Dad

Guess it all boils down to your idea of a dump for me and mine it's a far better life than we had in south london.
I had all of the entire country of NZ's problems just on the estate (Aylesbury) in camberwell I livied in. ALL the crime,tossers,pedophiles,muggings,burglary,gangs,n oise,domestic violence,car theft,fires,racists and so on.

Here we have all of the above but not all in one small area the size of most large shopping malls!

So thanks for the head up 'Dad' but get real please and see that NZ in the scheme of things is a far better bet for most.
But having said that not for all as it depends where in the UK I guess you hail from maybe it's that suburb just north of watford ,east of wales,south of manchester in the town of eutopia!

Camberwell....nuff said mate! I won't miss South London bandit country too much
Old Apr 29th 2010, 9:39 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perry Groves
Camberwell....nuff said mate! I won't miss South London bandit country too much
Wooooo there tiger although originally from west London, am now residing in a lovely leafy part of South London not a bandit in sight

Camberwell well yes, not for the faint hearted
Dewb
Old Apr 29th 2010, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dewb09
Wooooo there tiger although originally from west London, am now residing in a lovely leafy part of South London not a bandit in sight

Camberwell well yes, not for the faint hearted
Dewb
I'm from North London, anything south of Waterloo is bandit country for me!
Old Apr 29th 2010, 10:02 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perry Groves
I'm from North London, anything south of Waterloo is bandit country for me!
You wossie, ha ha

Dewb
Old Apr 29th 2010, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

For all the talk of career opportunity etc., let's realise that as the rest of the world becomes over populated people will seek less populated places to move to just liek all of us on here with NZ.

In OZ immigration is becoming a red hot issue with the Ozzies thinking that the gates are wide open and anyone and everyone can come in........ sound a little like the UK maybe?

Yes you may have career opportunties other places, and yes for our children there may be an importance to be in a certain country to pursue that however where there is any real sizeable population there are bigger and bigger issues, and you get older the career side tends to matter less.

We went for a week to Melbourne at Easter and the centre was just as dirty, smelly and a high quota of nutters as any other city. If we lived there we would live so far outside that the travel to work would be a living horror show, so the quality of life would be dreadful and locally there wouldn't be any more than NZ.

As Genesis keeps saying nowhere is especially better than another it is just what suits you personally at a given moment in your life.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

bro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud of

I think the real key is people are never happy, people always find the negative in everything.

This is not everyone obviously but it is human nature to find the worst of things, we get it from the news, the papers disaster and misery sells.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

I find it interesting that the 2 Kiwi's I have spoken to about coming to NZ have been very positive, and some of the Brits on here have other views. Is it about perception?
Old Apr 29th 2010, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Robbo25
Yes you may have career opportunties other places, and yes for our children there may be an importance to be in a certain country to pursue that however where there is any real sizeable population there are bigger and bigger issues, and you get older the career side tends to matter less.

might be true however if you are single and no kids (like myself I am not able to have my own kids forever), and wanna focus on your career then.. it would be a different matter I guess.

I personally think living in Melbourne, or Sydney - kind of similar to living in London or any major cities in England. Dirty, smelly, overcrowd, dangerous, traffic, expensive housing, not to mention rat race....etc etc I just don't see the point of moving from the UK to Oz.... the (only) major difference is the weather.

On the contrary, I find NZ is ..at least... it gives you good/relaxed lifestyle.... if unsophistcated.... But do you think Oz is more sophisticated than NZ? haha... bullshit. If you ever want anything sophistcated /intelligent etc then move to Europe... Why bother being here and moaning for? Such a thing doesn't even exist.

I don't expect anything.. as long as I live in NZ..

.. overall, (maybe) NZ is the 1st world country lifestylewise (except the crap housing/crap drivers/crap roads etc )...however,,, culturewise... its 3rd world. (IMO)

Makes sense?

Last edited by crap coffee; Apr 29th 2010 at 11:35 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see any benefit in living in Oz over NZ unless you are purely of the belief you will get some more money, but then you may well spend more just living. Best not open that chestnut!
Old Apr 30th 2010, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

The grass definitely isn't greener in Australia, they don't have much and it's full of spiders and snakes.

Give me clean green NZ any day of the week!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.