Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New NZ Corrections transferee's

New NZ Corrections transferee's

Old Dec 1st 2016, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New NZ Corrections transferee's

Originally Posted by Pigdog
We came over in 2014, this is what our UK Immigration said to us ......

As your job offers do not meet the minimum base salary requirement under the Work to Residence category, your best option would be to apply under the Essential Skills category. The main difference between the two categories is that Essential Skills is a temporary visa and not a pathway to residency. For Essential Skills applications your employer must complete the Essential supplementary form (INZ1113) as well as provide any supporting documents listed on the form.

After we finished the Officer training, we applied for permanent residency. Gained it a couple of months later.

As Justcol says, the "Levels" are pretty easy to complete. I've only been in Corrections for two years and just passed my level 4's. Takes the salary to about $60K.
May I ask what it is like being a prison officer in NZ? I have heard a number of negative stories about the job, the shifts, the management. One bloke told me up here it was not uncommon to do 10 x shifts before he got a break. I hear that the staff turn over is very high. Is that the case? Would you recommend it?
Old Dec 1st 2016, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

Pigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud of

Like every job, it has its positives and negatives. If you have any HMP, background, I find it just the same. I have some managers and colleagues who are complete twats, however, I also have some managers and colleagues who I now call friends and have made us really welcome here.
The shifts are a bit crap, we do 7/8 days on the trot but CANZ, the union, are fighting to get that changed. It will also depend in what jail you work in. We didn't like our first jail or where we lived, so we made the decision and moved. Our current jail is and we live is a lovely place. The turn over of staff is high and that is probably to do with the shift work.
I have no interest in the job, it's what I do after work that makes it worth it. The job just pays for it.
Yes I would recommend it and personally I would recommend the South Island, that's just MY choice though.

You will never know until you make the move.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Like every job, it has its positives and negatives. If you have any HMP, background, I find it just the same. I have some managers and colleagues who are complete twats, however, I also have some managers and colleagues who I now call friends and have made us really welcome here.
The shifts are a bit crap, we do 7/8 days on the trot but CANZ, the union, are fighting to get that changed. It will also depend in what jail you work in. We didn't like our first jail or where we lived, so we made the decision and moved. Our current jail is and we live is a lovely place. The turn over of staff is high and that is probably to do with the shift work.
I have no interest in the job, it's what I do after work that makes it worth it. The job just pays for it.
Yes I would recommend it and personally I would recommend the South Island, that's just MY choice though.

You will never know until you make the move.
Thank you kindly for your insight, I am most grateful. Best of luck to you and your family. I am ex plod and have no experience of prisons other than a SCOPE day. I feel that having been plod for many means nothing re this job, having to deal with the rigours of your job must be exceptionally taxing and not sure it would suit my personality and I am not sure I have the pre requisite qualities to do what is a very demanding, intense job in more than one way.

May I ask please, is there much emphasis, on the wings to reduce reoffending? The latter is what really appealed to me.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

Pigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud of

There are lots of course and rehab in place, however, for every person you do help there will be another person who offends.
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

for every person you do help there will be another person who offends.
Don't forget your filenotes
That'll keep the bugger's from coming back
Old Dec 10th 2016, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Some of you guys might be interested in this:

Passing muster: The struggle to fix our sick, bloated, 'stinking' prisons | Stuff.co.nz
Old Dec 11th 2016, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

That's a load of bollocks

Despite the job we do, there are some people who are not happy
unless they are complaining about prisoner rights or poor
conditions, even where they don't exist.

This kind of bullshit journalism really pissed me off

Last edited by Justcol; Dec 11th 2016 at 9:11 am.
Old Dec 11th 2016, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
That's a load of bollocks

Despite the job we do, there are some people who are not happy
unless they are complaining about prisoner rights or poor
conditions, even where they don't exist.

This kind of bullshit journalism really pissed me off
Did you read it? What do you think is bollocks?(apart from the headline)

Seems just a boring, nondiscript, tame and nothing out of the ordinary article to me.

Some cells get extremely hot in summer, sometimes the water is crap(so is mine at home)and who wants to have a crap in front of someone else?

As I say just a boring article.
Old Dec 11th 2016, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I decided not to join and declined my offer of employment last week. Was due to go to 'prison college' 13th Feb 2017. Decided I do not have 'what it takes' to do this most demanding and what I see as a very difficult job. Having been a copper for 11 years does not even begin to prepare you for this role. Could not have stood being tucked for 9 hour shift either I finally realised at the 11th hour. Also spoke to a prison guard with 3 years experience. He was less than positive about the job, the shift pattern (sometimes working 8 to 10 days in a row) and my local prison in particular. I have no regrets.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

JaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond repute

Genesis - have you considered a probation officer role? In my experience it's a satisfying job and I had great colleagues.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JaneRiley
Genesis - have you considered a probation officer role? In my experience it's a satisfying job and I had great colleagues.
We are on the same page!!! It is what I have always wanted to do. When I declined the Corrections Officer role I did ask them (considering the application process is very similar), if I could be considered for a Prob. role if one came up. Alas ignored my question. All they had to say was "yes" or "no". I was surprised they blanked my question.

Thank you however for your kind thought.

Last edited by Genesis; Dec 12th 2016 at 3:41 am.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
We are on the same page!!! It is what I have always wanted to do. When I declined the Corrections Officer role I did ask them (considering the application process is very similar), if I could be considered for a Prob. role if one came up. Alas ignored my question. All they had to say was "yes" or "no". I was surprised they blanked my question.

Thank you however for your kind thought.

Another role with Corrections that you may wish to consider is Case Manager.

No harm in applying for that or Probation Officer. What's the worst thing that can happen?... Doesn't even cost the price of a stamp these days.

Last edited by Robbie2010; Dec 12th 2016 at 5:00 am.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

JaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised and saddened they ignored your query. Get online and apply when you see a vacancy! Good luck.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 6:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
As I say just a boring article.
Well it was just a snapshot of the real article(s) yet to come - being a series of episodes released each day this week. I watched yesterdays one and it poses a number of questions of Government policy and in fact I would go as far as to say one of the best piece of investigative journalism I have seen coming from an NZ media channel in a long time:

https://assets.stuff.co.nz/interacti...ure/index.html
Old Dec 12th 2016, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Well it was just a snapshot of the real article(s) yet to come - being a series of episodes released each day this week. I watched yesterdays one and it poses a number of questions of Government policy and in fact I would go as far as to say one of the best piece of investigative journalism I have seen coming from an NZ media channel in a long time:

https://assets.stuff.co.nz/interacti...ure/index.html
Gotta say, Corrections is a HUGE mess. They were desparate for staff at my prison yet I did not hear from them for months after each hoop I jumped through. I was ready to start immediately. I am not sure what takes them 6 months to get through.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.