Reload this Page >

New here with small child

New here with small child

Old Oct 20th 2014, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

Brandysal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New here with small child

Hi
We have just moved here and we are staying in Auckland for a cpl of months while husband is training in his job, before we move to a more permanent location.
I have an 18 month old son and am in desperate need for places and groups to take him, and for me to meet other people. Or can anyone suggest any Facebook groups I could join?

Any info would be great, cheers.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 6:47 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New here with small child

HI and welcome

I would popping along to your local library and asking them if they know of any groups that are run around your area for meeting knew children and people. where in Auckland are you at the moment and where are you hoping to settle longer term?
Old Oct 20th 2014, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. Try contacting your local Plunket. I think they have info on all the community playgroups in your area.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info.
We are staying near the university at the moment, don't know where we will end up, depends on hubby's job.
What's a plunket???
Old Oct 20th 2014, 7:45 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Plunket

https://www.plunket.org.nz/?gclid=Cj...B-qxoCnILw_wcB
Old Oct 20th 2014, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

I think Prince George attended a Plunket playgroup while here. They provide community support to infants and parents. Theres one at 545 Parnell Rd ph 3793220, just the other side of the Auckland domain. There are probably several playgroups around the University.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

Plunket nurses are much the same as health visitors in the UK & visit mums & children up to age 5 to carry out growth & developmental checks as well as making sure that parents have all the support & information that they need to help with parenting. Your local Plunket nurse will be able to point you in the right direction for all the local activities/ amenities for young families. Plunket also has a big volunteer arm which run playgroups, music groups and the like, although those services vary a bit from area to area depending on demand. You can contact Plunket via the website. Or you can ring Plunketline, which is a free 24 hour telephone support line for young families.
Good luck, I'm sure that Plunket can help you.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 10:11 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Brandysal
Hi
We have just moved here and we are staying in Auckland for a cpl of months while husband is training in his job, before we move to a more permanent location.
I have an 18 month old son and am in desperate need for places and groups to take him, and for me to meet other people. Or can anyone suggest any Facebook groups I could join?

Any info would be great, cheers.
Hi there and a warm welcome to the wonderful world of BE.

Your local toy library may also be able to help.

Toy Library NZ - click the link

Hope you find a bit of a playgroup and some young Mums to chat with soon. Come back and let us know how you get on.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 1:29 am
Just Joined

Louiselouise03 has a reputation beyond reputeLouiselouise03 has a reputation beyond reputeLouiselouise03 has a reputation beyond reputeLouiselouise03 has a reputation beyond reputeLouiselouise03 has a reputation beyond reputeLouiselouise03 has a reputation beyond reputeLouiselouise03 has a reputation beyond reputeLouiselouise03 has a reputation beyond reputeLouiselouise03 has a reputation beyond reputeLouiselouise03 has a reputation beyond reputeLouiselouise03 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ! Welcome to central Auckland. I've been living in your area for a few years and my daughter's just moved on to the kindergarten stage ,so I can give you a few ideas.
There are regular singing and story-times at the main central library at 11am in the mornings.

As for playgroups, I tended to hop on the green link bus ( really easy to use even with a 3 wheeled buggy) up to Parnell. The playgroup is at 192 Parnell Rd on Fridays at 10 am. I recommend going there a few times as different people go on different weeks, and there are often people who have also just arrived in the country - it's very international. I didn't really click with anyone my first week, but tried a few times and managed to meet a nice bunch of people and my daughter made her first friends. Another activity, also in Parnell is " mainly music" it's on Mondays at 9.30 round the back of the Main cathedral. There's singing, instruments, dress up , then afterwards morning tea for the kids and drinks and biscuits for the adults, and they put out loads of toys so you can have a chat to people.It's also really popular and and people are nice and friendly.

A great playgroup that lots of mums from the cbd go to is in Mt Eden- it's in a church hall, loads of toys and activities, run by volunteers. You can get a bus on Symonds street. Tues 9.30 at 283 Mt Eden Rd, Mt Eden, Auckland 1024.

Good Luck !

Last edited by Louiselouise03; Oct 21st 2014 at 1:31 am.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at New Zealand Now website. The Citizens Advice Bureau network has now taken over responsibility for face to face with new migrants and there's also a freephone number to call which can help as well.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 7:06 am
Just Joined

Thanks so much for all the help and advice xx
Feel a lot better knowing that I'm able to take my boy to places on my own, also it's nice to know this support is here x
Old Oct 21st 2014, 9:54 am
Just Joined

chappie is a name known to allchappie is a name known to allchappie is a name known to allchappie is a name known to allchappie is a name known to allchappie is a name known to allchappie is a name known to allchappie is a name known to allchappie is a name known to allchappie is a name known to allchappie is a name known to all

Try Meetup.com - there are heaps of groups in Auckland for all kinds of interests.