New build!

Old Apr 9th 2017, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New build!

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
can you tell me how the cassette heat pump work, been looking at heating for ours and can't actually work out how these work. Ducted & multi split heat pump I can understand but not sure if the cassette is all all in one or still needs heat exchanger outside.

Obviously you wouldn't of used them yet but did they talk to you about how clean the ceiling around them remain and the noise of them??
It's just the same as a high wall with the external heat exchanger but the interior unit is ceiling mounted and where a high wall can only blow heat or cool air one way (i.e. outwards) but with the ability to change the direction up/down this unit blows in 4 directions and also with the same ability to move the air in a small arc.
We didn't really have many positions where we could have placed a high wall that would have been efficient so decided with the heating/air con engineers advice that it would be better to go for this solution as it meant we could place it in the middle or wherever was best. We have approx 80 SQM of open space kitchen/family room/lounge so having a high wall in one corner wasn't gonna be a good idea.
The cassette is very good even if it's a little more expensive.
To work out the size in watts that you need its the SQM of the area x 100 for a new build or 150 for an older property that isn't to the current insulation standards of a new build.
So for us 80 SQM x 100 = 8000 watts or 8 Kw heating.
This meant we had to go for the largest output cassette available from the company we used and it was $4086 + GST fully fitted with a 6 year guarantee and we also got one of those Pebble control units that connect to the wifi so you can control the heat pump from anywhere via an app on the phone. That was another $234 + GST so all up $4968.

Ceiling will stay the same colour as the vent doesn't blow the air along it. The unit sits proud of the ceiling by maybe 20mm or so, so it is unable to blow air along the ceiling.
As for operation it is completely silent. The only noise is a feint beep when you switch the on/off button.
Old Apr 16th 2017, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

jayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New build!

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Cheers. Yes we are looking forward to being in before Christmas....touch wood there's no delays.

Yes this'll be our first home in NZ. We've been renting for 4.5 yrs since we arrived back in 2012.

Sold their new build in Tauriko...sounds like it was on The Lakes ? Wouldn't live there for all the tea in China. It is a huge new subdivision and is going to be at least double the size it is now before it's finished as it is being extended right up SH36 in to Pyes Pa.
It's OK when you're in the thick of it, but it's right at the side of SH36 100kph road so lots of road noise and across that road is a huge industrial estate, so all the properties that claim to have "views", have views of huge warehouse units and a growing industrial estate......niiiiccccceeee! NOT!.
Completely understand people who have got in there early and bought a buy and build section (land and house package) as they are making a killing having not even moved in...$200 000 + as the houses there are going for insane prices.
Matua is a nice place to live but unfortunate it hasn't got a view as th ey are spectacular from the top of the hill
We moved into the Lakes in August and I think we're in a good spot but as pointed out some of those houses are being crammed in close together with no views and a lot of noise from Traffic. It's difficult to know how new building sites will pan out because there's a lot of hype beforehand. We lived in Matua 5 years ago but thought a new build was a good idea. Personally I would advise anyone to buy a near new established house with the garden sorted. That is my one regret as we're having major issues with the so called landscaping. drainage is bad.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

jensen is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: New build!

Originally Posted by Kotare
Given the average new build in England is about 80 sq m, don't you feel guilty squandering all those natural resources on your family abode - still you can feel good given it must be a lower standard than UK houses thus saving materiel :-)

I don't think there is lower standard than UK "lack of standard"