Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The negative New Zealand thread

The negative New Zealand thread

Old Jan 31st 2007, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

SecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud of
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Originally Posted by mazi
The euphamism 'boutique' used in front of anything masquerading as 'quality'
The euphamism 'european' used in front of anything that doesnt involve a pizza with pineapple on it or a shoddy dogmeat sausage in a slice of factory bread smothered in watties tomato sauce to mask the godawful flavour...
Old Jan 31st 2007, 9:26 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

milo
Old Jan 31st 2007, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel
and main roads.... that go north.... with names like "main road north"...
Well I spose that is as useful as "Station Rd" or "High St"...
Old Jan 31st 2007, 10:45 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo

We live on a tiny up itself Island
MMmmmm...I thought you were looking for a change?
Old Feb 1st 2007, 6:08 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazi
cheesecake shops... with names like 'The Cheesecake Shop'
"The Cheesecake Shop" is a franchise (just like McDonalds or Pizza Hut) that also operates across OZ
Old Feb 1st 2007, 6:21 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
"The Cheesecake Shop" is a franchise (just like McDonalds or Pizza Hut) that also operates across OZ
But it's still gross - and being a chain explains its plastic cheesecakes then.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 9:37 am
Account Closed

The same ads being repeated year after year after year
Old Feb 1st 2007, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
It has been slow to take off, until recently there were only a couple of them. We used to see the adverts when we arrived 3 1/2 years ago and were amazed how far we would need to travel to one.

Rob
Old Feb 1st 2007, 10:39 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel
a shoddy dogmeat sausage in a slice of factory bread smothered in watties tomato sauce to mask the godawful flavour...
How the heck can Watties tommy K mask the taste of anything, when it tastes so goddamn awful itself. Made me gag when i first had it. They put cloves in it here. CLOVES! Thankfully, good old Heinz is sold right next to it in Sack'n'Pave so there is hope.

And that's the only negative thing so far....

Note to self: Must try harder
Old Feb 1st 2007, 10:40 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
How the heck can Watties tommy K mask the taste of anything, when it tastes so goddamn awful itself. Made me gag when i first had it. They put cloves in it here. CLOVES! Thankfully, good old Heinz is sold right next to it in Sack'n'Pave so there is hope.

How long have you been here, I still can't stand it after 3yrs but the kids seem to have got used to the taste
Old Feb 1st 2007, 10:51 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
How long have you been here, I still can't stand it after 3yrs but the kids seem to have got used to the taste
Ha! I can see why. Don't think I'll be touching the stuff again. Will get Toni to carry some heinz sachets around in her Tardis of a handbag, just in case

Only been here 3 weeks now, but nothing is really bugging us. Still, early doors yet so give it time, and I'm sure we'll find something to winge about.

PS: Where's the smilie gone? That was the best one on there!
Old Feb 1st 2007, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

all tomato sauce is vile ...whether it be watties, pams, heinz, asdas or tescos...I hate them all and would say that regardless of whether I lived in NZ UK or timbucktoo..but my husband likes the stiff so i actually have to still buy this stuff

Last edited by kwprwn; Feb 1st 2007 at 11:27 pm. Reason: stupid me forgot something
Old Feb 1st 2007, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Ha! I can see why. Don't think I'll be touching the stuff again. Will get Toni to carry some heinz sachets around in her Tardis of a handbag, just in case

Only been here 3 weeks now, but nothing is really bugging us. Still, early doors yet so give it time, and I'm sure we'll find something to winge about.

PS: Where's the smilie gone? That was the best one on there!
the beer smilie is still there...click on the more bit and its the very last one
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Craigy123 has a spectacular aura aboutCraigy123 has a spectacular aura aboutCraigy123 has a spectacular aura about

Hey jayjaysaxking i'm in the same boat as you i got the job offer so should be heading to North Island soon, well pointed out that if you have a negative UK thread then you would have a field day, here is one to read to make you feel more confident on your plans TeamEmbo .

http://www.thesun.co.uk/discussions/...t/260/478.page

People will emigrate to a country they have not seen, i read it in the paper somewhere, people are that confident of the gamble or prepared to take the chance, me i'm heading out for 6 months maybe and see what i think, the wages for my for equate to about 7k less in sterling, i'm hoping the cost of living is cheaper, the housing rental and prices seem to show this.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Bermuda Girl is a jewel in the roughBermuda Girl is a jewel in the roughBermuda Girl is a jewel in the roughBermuda Girl is a jewel in the rough

I've just read this whole thread and loved it. I'm currently in Sydney, but will probably move to New Zealand at some point in the next few years.

I wanted to comment on people saying it is stupid to move countries without having been there before.

I've done it twice, and in both cases don't feel a two week "reccie" first would have helped.

Looking back at the first month or so in each place I loved them both, being suitably impressed by sunny days and beautiful beaches! Dislikes and dissatisfactions grew over time.

I think for me a holiday first would have been as mis-leading as those first weeks.

Before anybody thinks I'm prone to always thinking the grass is greener somewhere else, I was actually very happy in Bermuda for over 5 years. The decision to leave was much more based on the fact that I couldn't stay there indefinitly (there being no such thing as permanent residency there, unless you marry a Bermudian), so wanted to leave on my own terms rather than have a work permit refused in a couple of years time. There were definitely things I didn't like, but the positives outweighed the negatives (most of the time).

So to anybody moving to New Zealand (or anywhere else) without having been there first, enjoy the adventure. Make it through the first year - I really don't feel you can make a decision about a place in less time than that. If after that you decide it's not for you, you can go home or move on, but at lease you'll have tried. Hopefully you'll feel the move was the right decision for you.

Incidently, I've been to New Zealand three times now, for just over 3 months in total. I love the place, think I'd be happy living there, but am still no closer to deciding where abouts I'll move to! Will have to plan another trip this year...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.