Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Native New Zealand Plant Photos

Native New Zealand Plant Photos

Old May 27th 2005, 3:39 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute
Default Native New Zealand Plant Photos

Ok at the request of Franklin I am starting this photo thread of some plants that are native to NZ & hope that others may contribute some more!

This is called Pohutakawa & is a tree also known as The New Zealand Christmas Tree, have no idea why though because we dont use it as a christmas tree at all.

This is The Mt Cook Lily found in Alpine areas/

The Kowhai!

The Jaffa!

and finally The Wiri Gem.......hope you enjoyed these Franklin....getting late here so Im off to bed but will look for some more for you tomorrow
Old May 27th 2005, 3:53 am
Franklin

Default Re: Native New Zealand Plant Photos

Thank you!! Tried to send you karma, but I need to try again later. Thank you again!

This forum is like going to the Smithsonian, I learn so much.

NZ fascinates me, particularly its isolation. I know I want to visit and stay there for long periods. Maybe buy a place there. I just need some $!

Old May 27th 2005, 4:57 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it's called a Christmas tree as it flowers around Christmas time
Old May 27th 2005, 5:23 am
Franklin

Originally Posted by Don
I think it's called a Christmas tree as it flowers around Christmas time
But have you got any plant photos Don? Please!

Old May 27th 2005, 5:47 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Franklin
But have you got any plant photos Don? Please!
We have got a few of the kids in front of the rhodos - I will try to dig them out
Old May 27th 2005, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

extrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really nice

[QUOTE=shepslady]Ok at the request of Franklin I am starting this photo thread of some plants that are native to NZ & hope that others may contribute some more!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/attac...id=14662&stc=1

sorry if this is not what you are looking for. I don't read very many threads now so have no idea what started this, but here's a picture of the west coast 25 mins from Auckland. The trees are Tea treas (Ti Trees?) and the other stuff mostly flax. All very common, this is typical of the bush on west coast near auckland
Old May 27th 2005, 7:00 am
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent Idea Shepslady!!

Maybe animals and insects too. Flora and Fauna of NZ.

Kind Regards
Old May 28th 2005, 3:22 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Ok guess I will start with the obvious & most famous Kiwi huh?

Old May 28th 2005, 3:39 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

Hope this gives you some idea of what animals & birds etc that can be found in NZ!

Yellow eyed Penguin

Seal

Sea Lion

Last edited by shepslady; May 28th 2005 at 4:00 am.
Old May 28th 2005, 3:41 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

Romney Sheep

Tuatara

Dolphins

Last edited by shepslady; May 28th 2005 at 4:01 am.
Old May 28th 2005, 3:42 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

Kaka

Kakaha

Keas

Last edited by shepslady; May 28th 2005 at 4:02 am.
Old May 28th 2005, 3:44 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

Weka

Tui

Last edited by shepslady; May 28th 2005 at 4:02 am.
Old May 28th 2005, 4:13 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

Kingfisher

Fantail

Coromandel Shag

Black Bird

Bell Bird

Pukeko
Old May 28th 2005, 10:12 am
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point

Here' one to scare ya :scared:

Tunnelweb spider, Porrhothele antipodiana
With its sturdy body and 5cm leg-span, this is reportedly New Zealand's heaviest spider by weight. Males of this species are common springtime visitors to homes as they abandon their webs and accidentally stray indoors in their quest to mate.

:scared:

Last edited by Sega Mad; May 28th 2005 at 10:19 am.
Old May 29th 2005, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

extrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sega Mad
Here' one to scare ya :scared:

Tunnelweb spider, Porrhothele antipodiana
With its sturdy body and 5cm leg-span, this is reportedly New Zealand's heaviest spider by weight. Males of this species are common springtime visitors to homes as they abandon their webs and accidentally stray indoors in their quest to mate.

:scared:
Aw, the nice wee spider. I made some into paperweights. Actually, the one in the picture was the fastest spider I have seen. Didn't really like catching that one. There are a lot of unwanted spiders, including redbacks that live in New Zealand now, so you can never be sure what you are dealing with unless you recognise it.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/attac...id=14759&stc=1

And then there are weta's of course. male and female shown here. To give you an idea of scale, the yellow thing is about the size of a 2p coin.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/attac...id=14761&stc=1

http://britishexpats.com/forum/attac...id=14762&stc=1
Attached Thumbnails Native New Zealand Plant Photos-untitled-6e.jpg   Native New Zealand Plant Photos-maleweta.jpg   Native New Zealand Plant Photos-femaleweta.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.