Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

This is a must have for the UK

This is a must have for the UK

Old Jun 17th 2015, 2:54 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This is a must have for the UK

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Definitely yes. I rented a car in the UK last year and used my NZ driving licence. Had absolutely no problems at all. Did show my passport and I think I took some address verification too. I booked my rental from here prior to going to the UK and the confirmation listed what I needed to provide re:identification .

Hope that helps chuck.
Completely off the point, but this reminded me... If you think you might be using your licence as an ID, make sure you take some address verification because the NZ licence has no address on it. I wanted to get into the records office at Kew to do some family history. I was able to use my UK licence with an invalid address on, but my mum only had a NZ licence and passport neither of which has an address on, so she couldn't get access to the records section (they needed address verification even if in NZ). She enjoyed a nice cup of tea though while I did all the work!!
Old Jun 17th 2015, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
Completely off the point, but this reminded me... If you think you might be using your licence as an ID, make sure you take some address verification because the NZ licence has no address on it. I wanted to get into the records office at Kew to do some family history. I was able to use my UK licence with an invalid address on, but my mum only had a NZ licence and passport neither of which has an address on, so she couldn't get access to the records section (they needed address verification even if in NZ). She enjoyed a nice cup of tea though while I did all the work!!
My NZ licence has my address on it, but it is optional, and means when one moves you have to renew your licence, which I haven't got round to yet!
Old Jun 18th 2015, 2:06 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
My NZ licence has my address on it, but it is optional, and means when one moves you have to renew your licence, which I haven't got round to yet!
I have my address on my NZ driving licence. I also changed my address when I moved house here. However, the police don't insist on your address being on the driving licence and some people prefer not to have it.
Old Jun 18th 2015, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
So when I rock up to the rental place in a couple of weeks I should definitely use my NZ licence?
I did find one little car rental place who wouldn't rent because of my nz license.
I just went to europcar three doors down and got one off them
Old Jun 19th 2015, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

I've used my NZ license in the US, France and the UK, no issues at all.

The (very attractive) lady at the Firefly desk at Nice Airport completely and positively changed her demeanor towards me once I handed over my NZ licence. I assume she'd previouslythought I was British and then realised I was a Kiwi - well, to her mind anyway.

I was quite amused.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 12:52 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately I have found that is how most European's see the British!
Old Jun 19th 2015, 1:03 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Unfortunately I have found that is how most European's see the British!
That is a huge shame for you.
I grew up with all manner of Europeans and have travelled extensively around Europe . I have honestly never, ever encountered any negative detrimental or derogatory issue because of being British.

I did encounter probs as a child from some British people because my Mum was Irish and I have encountered issues here for being British but sur le contintent ? Non.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 1:16 am

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Try asking some of the bar staff and Hoteliers in Prague what they think of the British Stag and Hen followers.....not nice replies, we British seem to drink ourselves into dislike where ever we go. Most countries have realised how to attract custom just hang out a sign saying real English Pub....almost catching up with the Irish bars.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 1:30 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
The (very attractive) lady at the Firefly desk at Nice Airport. I was quite amused.
What is it with French speaking females at car rental places ? We rented a car in New Caledonia in 2012 as were on holiday for my husband's milestone birthday.

I could have drunk/drank the car rental clerk's bathwater and I'm straight ! My husband agreed as he's straight too.

She was slim, pretty and dark skinned with a French accent to die for. I think she came from the French speaking world rather than being French.

Old Jun 19th 2015, 1:34 am
`

That's not confined to just British is it. Look at Waitangi Day pub crawl in London or the actions of peed up students in Dunedin. Then there are the party around the world backpackers . We see plenty of those out of their heads here and they are definitely a European & Scandinavian mix.

Why do you wish to do your own country and countrymen down all the time?

Not all stag and hen do's are the pits and not everyone behaves appropriately all of the time. Just look at John Key for that or, for that matter, take a walk in Nelson of a Friday/Saturday night. It now has 'street ambassadors' to deal with anti-social drunk/doped behaviours. It is not a place you would wish to be.

So if one wants to diss the British for OTT behaviour, then to be equal and fair, one must also diss the Kiwis & those Europeans that behave with the same ilk.

I'm guessing that bar & hoteliers owners all feel the same about OTT behaviours regardless of nationality involved.

I'm also guessing you may not be comfortable with that
Old Jun 19th 2015, 1:45 am

Dear dear did I suggest something anti Brit instead of anti Kiwi.......
better ask the nice girl at Nice Firefly desk...
Old Jun 19th 2015, 2:01 am
`

Good grief.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 2:05 am

Ah well back to the painting then......
Old Jun 19th 2015, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Just spent short of 6 weeks travelling, NZ licence totally fine, I just showed them my licence and that was all they needed. My UK one ran out a couple years ago (The card)
Old Jun 19th 2015, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

nikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond repute

About to renew my UK licence online... That way I technically have both... All angles covered!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.