Reload this Page >

Moving to Queenstown

Moving to Queenstown

Old Feb 23rd 2016, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

outback sunset is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Queenstown

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Perhaps the guy has been put off by the snippy responses so far and being spoken to like a 5 year old! This guy is clearly trying to make an effort and thinking the move through, which is why he is on here asking the relevant questions three months before leaving. He probably doesn't want to sit spending ages answering essay style questions in post #9 when all he was after was a bit of info on rental properties, cars and jobs. Or it could be something as simple as he doesn't have email notifications set up and he has completely forgotten to check back (perhaps he found more helpful responses on a different forum ) Anyway Tome9 if you're still there don't be shy, feel free to ask more questions if needed.
Agreed, and I wouldn't mind but if you look at some of the past posts of those making accusations of the guy not being organised they're not exactly great thinkers or very well organised themselves.. Still they can't seem to help themselves from sticking the boot into random strangers on line.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 6:09 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

as the OP is looking to go to Canada later on in the year I am guessing he is quite busy getting things sorted.

lets give up snipping at each other and wait to see if the OP still wants to carry on any sort of discussion
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

outback sunset is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
as the OP is looking to go to Canada later on in the year I am guessing he is quite busy getting things sorted. lets give up snipping at each other and wait to see if the OP still wants to carry on any sort of discussion
I was nearly going to say, lucky the OP isn't also considering another country or someone will drag up his post and accuse him of not knowing which country he wants to move to. I've seen that happen more than once. Anyway, I'm not sniping I genuinely believe this kind of thing has killed off the input of a fair few newbies who could have contributed a lot to a rather flat forum, but they've been driven away. The OP wasn't asking for a substitute parent, just some advice on renting. Anyway, that's it from me.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 8:06 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe he doesn't know what he is doing, he just wants to enjoy himself and take up new opportunities when he can
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

O.K. the "reality check" did come across as a bit harsh, however better to consider all these things up front than fly in and spend what should be an outstanding working holiday discovering that your dreams have been shattered.

I have a very real concern that the more naive can fly in on a dream, and then complain "but nobody told me". Could put them off NZ for life. Students on gap years do run out of money part way through even though they have been working part time. If they are lucky there is a parental emergency fund to bail them out.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I were discussing how much planning and research went into our move to NZ and we both decided if we had have done lengthy research and sat down and wrote some figures down we don't think there's a cat in hells chance we would have come. I'm glad we did come but sometimes researching and planning too much isn't the best way forward, you've just got to take a gamble and stop being all sensible and grown up.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Tome9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry for the late reply, it's taken me that long to read through #9's post, Christ. Thank you all for your advice and considerations, even if they were condescending, I merely started this thread to gain a bit more knowledge three months before I made the trip, next time I wont bother though as apparently I should have known beforehand.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

PB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tome9
Sorry for the late reply, it's taken me that long to read through #9's post, Christ. Thank you all for your advice and considerations, even if they were condescending, I merely started this thread to gain a bit more knowledge three months before I made the trip, next time I wont bother though as apparently I should have known beforehand.
you might have been better going to a forum dedicated to WHVs where like minded travellers gather and share information. NZ as you obviously know is not UK or Europe many things are more expensive even more so as the exchange rate falters and it takes longer to get from a to b ,. Also as you know forums generate some things you might want to hear and others will generate comments you dont want to hear. Most people here are discussing immigration issues and not temporary work or visas and I would expect you will find a lot of competition for any temp work let alone any marketing jobs degree or no degree on a WHV in Queenstown, more like casual work. Anyway having said all that you will have a great time regardless just be prepared.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
My wife and I were discussing how much planning and research went into our move to NZ and we both decided if we had have done lengthy research and sat down and wrote some figures down we don't think there's a cat in hells chance we would have come. I'm glad we did come but sometimes researching and planning too much isn't the best way forward, you've just got to take a gamble and stop being all sensible and grown up.
Haha me too. I had two holidays out here and thought okay I'll give it a crack. I got my nursing registration and moved down here on the first job I got offered, in a town I'd never been to, with no family just two suitcases and about $2000 in the world. I was absolutely nuts.

Lucky for me it turned out fine and I'm now in my dream job on a good wage in Christchurch but it was touch and go there for a while.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 1:36 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I don't see any reason for folk to be snippy with one another so cut it out guys.It's of no value to the OP at all.

With regard to Queenstown .

As far as I am hearing via the jungle drums, renting and finding bed space can be problematic. In the past few months we have hosted a couple of WHV young adults hoping to make their way down the NZ west coast to finally spend time in Queenstown. One could not find any accom or work at all so ended up heading back up the Nelson way before travelling down the East Coast and finally being able to stay in Queenstown. She didn't find any work. I don't know how the other couple fared.
I cannot be sure but you should also look to Mt Hutt & Christchurch perhaps .

You may already have this link

nzski

Nothing ventured . Nothing gained.

If nothing pans out for the winter, you could always consider starting your WHV a bit later and come for grape/apple picking & then put in early for ski season work 2017.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP, you may find this blog useful, it's a couple from the UK who spent quite a bit of time living and working in Queenstown while travelling round the world. The rest of their website may be useful to you too.
How To Get a Job And A House In Queenstown, New Zealand — Kinging-It
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

What day do you arrive here????

Enjoy the best place in New Zealand. Ski season there is great.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 11:34 am
Just Joined

Tome9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Bev and A Rush And A Push for that!

I arrive in Queenstown on the 23rd of May, I intend to have some CV's printed beforehand and just walk round handing them in where ever I can.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 2:06 am

try and tailor you CV to a Kiwi market, whatever that is but sure there will be some website somewhere about it
Old Apr 26th 2016, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tome9
Thanks Bev and A Rush And A Push for that!

I arrive in Queenstown on the 23rd of May, I intend to have some CV's printed beforehand and just walk round handing them in where ever I can.
There's a website I recommend called new kiwis. They can change your cv to a NZ format.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.