British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Moving pets (dogs) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/moving-pets-dogs-757466/)

benndeb May 7th 2012 8:57 pm

Moving pets (dogs)

If you have moved you dogs out to NZ:

What exporter did you use?

What problems (if any) did you have?

What was the total cost?

What did you do (if anything) to make it cheeper?

Thanks in advance
Ben

MrsFychan May 7th 2012 9:04 pm

Re: Moving pets (dogs)

have a look through this thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=dogs+pets

sparkie down under May 7th 2012 11:08 pm

1-yep, 2
2-Airpets
3-no problems with the fight, but had a major scare with the countdown process with the vets with just 2 days to go - major stress - not the vets fault one of the dogs failed a test and only had the all clear minutes before I set off on the plane - phew
4-can't remember - but it was more than 1st class fare
5-there ain't nothing you can do to make it cheaper, 'cept perhaps make the buggers swim

babybella May 8th 2012 7:50 am

Lots of info already on here re bringing dogs. I know I posted re bringing our dog Bella.
We used Golden Arrow as have lots of others, and Bella arrived safe and well.
Can not speak highly enough of them. They were not the cheapest but not the most expensive either.
Honestly I was more worried about my dog on the flight than us (ours turned into a bit of an ordeal due to the ash cloud). Bella was fine and is now loving living by the beach and playing in the waves.
Everyday I know we made the right decision to bring here even if it did cost about £3,000
Kaz

ellenarosemary May 8th 2012 6:07 pm

Using Golden Arrow, found Airpets rather rude actually!!!

We got them to reduce a bit after we had a cheaper quote, also they do kenneling if you need it.

Jan n Neil May 9th 2012 6:26 am

AS EVERYBODY SAYS LOADS OF THREADS ON BRINGING DOGS OVER (SHIT CAPS LOCK) we brought 3 with golden arrow no probs at all :thumbsup:

Cant remember price but not cheap might have been about 6/7K sterling

benndeb May 9th 2012 3:52 pm

May be Im a bit crap at searching. I do the search and it brings up loads of stuff then I get reading something interesting grt sidetracked 4 hours later Im reading something completely unrelated. Having done this several times I thought Id ask as some of the threads are out dated and rules / prices have changed as have company standards. It would really help if their were more sub forums.
Ben

Philzbub May 9th 2012 4:15 pm

Hey Ben and Deb,

I've been looking at taking our GSD out with us, although that part is relatively easy - just crazy expensive - quotes coming in between £3200 and £4000 and I got about 8 quotes. Get measurements of your dog, they all want the same measurements, then you can just fill in forms online to get quotes back in 24hrs. But, like you, I asked BE's for their opinion and Golden Arrow came out pretty favourable with people.

Where about are you moving to in NZ? I'm really struggling to find anywhere that will allow big dogs in a rental property? I do need to be in the vicinity of Auckland though, so this hinders me somewhat. The further out you go, the more flexible people seem to be with pets - and of course they have more land with them too. So for us I may have to leave my girl behind! Which is gonna be difficult to put it mildly, but I can't pass up the opportunity presented in Auckland. Don't forget your dog will need a rabies jab now for NZ, and if your dog hasn't had that before it will be 6 months before he/she can travel. I think its 10days in quarantine the other side so thats not too bad.
Cheers and good luck..

Phil.

benndeb May 9th 2012 4:43 pm

Ive done the same as you with the quote and have ended up with similar prices the exception being what you get for your money. Im not so bad on the other side as Ill be staying at my mums (in Auckland). All the people I know in NZ who rent unanimously say that if see the owner with your dog thay can see for themselves how well behaved it is (that is if it is) and it will be sweet (in their words).
Ben

Philzbub May 9th 2012 8:51 pm

Oh right, mine is well behaved, she's excitable, but completely soppy! So do you think i should take her then? I'm in a bit of a pickle, I either board her somewhere until October as she cannot travel until then due to this rabies jab, or I re-home her before I go. But all the rental, or the decent ones that don't look like a shed with some nice wood or carpet in say no pets, or cats ok but no dogs! But you're saying most people will be ok if the dog is well behaved? Like house trained, not too noisy that kind of thing right?

Cheers for that info...

Phil.

BEVS May 9th 2012 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by benndeb (Post 10050468)
May be Im a bit crap at searching. I do the search and it brings up loads of stuff then I get reading something interesting grt sidetracked 4 hours later Im reading something completely unrelated.

:lol: No worries. Happens to me all the time.

It would really help if their were more sub forums. Ben
Tiz only a small place & chopping it up all the more wouldn't make for a welcoming look really. Folk here are always happy to help , so just ask away.

benndeb May 10th 2012 4:20 pm

Ive spoken to my sister who rents atm and has a dog. Shes told me its difficult but not impossible to rent with dogs because landlords biggist worry is being ripped off then its damage then hassle. So if you can prove to them that arnt going to cause any of that you will get a rent.

Philzbub May 10th 2012 9:36 pm

Thanks for that, great stuff.

Originally Posted by benndeb (Post 10052998)
Ive spoken to my sister who rents atm and has a dog. Shes told me its difficult but not impossible to rent with dogs because landlords biggist worry is being ripped off then its damage then hassle. So if you can prove to them that arnt going to cause any of that you will get a rent.