Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Composting - South Island style.

Composting - South Island style.

Old May 9th 2012, 3:35 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Composting - South Island style.

Question for the Chch gardeners amongst you. When we arrived at our rental I peered into the garden compost bin.....it was full of old grass cuttings, bone dry and a nice little warm hide away for lots of spiders. We have been here 5 weeks and have not totalled that much rain, in fact 1 day. Is it possible to start a compost heap here and if so how?
Old May 9th 2012, 4:44 am
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Christchurch thread

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Question for the Chch gardeners amongst you. When we arrived at our rental I peered into the garden compost bin.....it was full of old grass cuttings, bone dry and a nice little warm hide away for lots of spiders. We have been here 5 weeks and have not totalled that much rain, in fact 1 day. Is it possible to start a compost heap here and if so how?
Put it somewhere it will get the sun and water it. A nice bit of carpet to cover the top of the pile works wonders too.

Although tis not the best time of year for these things, it will work, just slower. Also dont just use grass. You need a mix of things, egg shells, veg peelings , tea bags, borwn paper etc etc etc.
You can buy 'stuff' from the garden center to help the process along if that is you thing.
Old May 9th 2012, 6:24 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Composting - South Island style.

Did the 'pidies peer back?

Picture required

You can compost down there. It needs external warmth. Layering. Green ( grass cuttings a bit) , brown ( leaves , twigs, manure) and non-meat kitchen type scraps as GofDB says, plus a comfy blankie.

We stick a bit of corrugated iron on top of ours on and off of a winter .
Old May 9th 2012, 6:57 am

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Did the 'pidies peer back? .
They all ran and hid when I stuck my hand in to feel the temperature.......why a piccy ?
Is it the small red worms down here that do the munching?
Old May 9th 2012, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

You need to pee on it.
Old May 9th 2012, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
You need to pee on it.
Ah that will be a good excuse for more tinnies then......Speights Gold....

Thats another thing....why is so much NZ beer in bottles....
Old May 9th 2012, 11:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

You need to pee on it.
Yes I was going to say that he needs urine on it. Ask Bob Flowerdew if he can pop over & pi$$ on it for you
Old May 10th 2012, 1:52 am
`

You need to pee on it.
Thought that was for the lemon tree.

Originally Posted by stormer999
why a piccy ?
See the colour and content and coz I'm nosey about such things. My compost pile is in two apple crates.
Old May 10th 2012, 4:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Thought that was for the lemon tree.

Never pi$$ed on my lemon trees & they produce loads of fruit. Have got a glut of limes going on at present. Mandarins are ripening nicely too

Note to self: Must get a compost heap going
Old May 10th 2012, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Never pi$$ed on my lemon trees & they produce loads of fruit. Have got a glut of limes going on at present. Mandarins are ripening nicely too

Note to self: Must get a compost heap going
Is it the roots you pee on or a ladder for the branches....
Old May 10th 2012, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Is it the roots you pee on or a ladder for the branches....
Have you not seen the World's Fastest Indian?
Old May 10th 2012, 8:19 pm

Have you not seen the World's Fastest Indian?
Yes an excellent film and the family said it was well portrayed by Hopkins...
Old May 10th 2012, 9:37 pm
`

It is you Stormer999 , being a male of our species , that pees on the ground around said lemon tree. For some reason Mr BEVS refuses to do this as the tree is by the main gate. I argue that we are up a private shared drive & among kiwis and friends but that falls on deaf ears.

edit....

One would not pee on a ladder. It might rot.
Old May 10th 2012, 9:43 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

being a male of our species , that pees on the ground around said lemon tree. For some reason Mr BEVS refuses to do this as the tree is by the main gate.
What's wrong with Mr Bevs I thought all us blokes were the same, pee anywhere...............I'm like a dog, I've peed on it therefore it's mine