Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving to NZ - Where to aim for?

Moving to NZ - Where to aim for?

Old Sep 20th 2016, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

alexkatethomas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to NZ - Where to aim for?

Hi there,

I'm a New Zealand citizen lived in the UK since I was 9 years old. I've always had aspirations to move back to the country where I was born and we are finally moving as a small family (my husband, 2 year old and baby on the way) to NZ in March 2017. It's very exciting and also very scary!

My husband is in the process of applying for permanent residency (off the back of my NZ citizenship). He is a senior mechanical design engineer (chartered) so we are hoping he won't have any major difficulty finding a job. I have a senior research management position at the University of Liverpool so again hoping that I have a range of transferable skills in the NZ higher education market.

The issue we have is where we aim for when we move. Auckland prices seem extremely high, almost comparative to
London now - and so we were thinking maybe aim for some of the smaller regional areas - Hawkes Bay, Bay of Plenty, also New Plymouth looks interesting. But jobs seem limited in these areas.

Does anyone have any advice on this? Pros and cons of these areas? We would prefer the north island because of weather.

Thank you!
Old Sep 20th 2016, 11:01 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to NZ - Where to aim for?

Do you want to work in a university? There is a University of Waikato campus in Tauranga and some Massey courses are offered in Hawkes Bay but they are very limited satellite campuses. For example, in Tauranga most lectures are streamed from Hamilton and tutors are poorly paid as sessional assistants, usually students themselves.

Unfortunately your careers sound more suited to the cities than the regional areas. However, you might be able to find a compromise by considering somewhere like Hamilton, which would have the warmer weather you want and is an hour from the coast or Dunedin, which would not have the warmer weather (comparable to UK South East) but you would be on the coast.

Have you considered Christchurch? South Island but decent summers.
Old Sep 21st 2016, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Have you considered Christchurch? South Island but decent summers.
Bit of an under-statement, Canterbury has the best climate in NZ, hardly any rain, long hot summers and crisp cold winters, no humidity or insects!
Old Sep 21st 2016, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute

Wellington has got two Uni campuses, plus two polys in the region, and the head office of the Open Poly is in Lower Hutt.
Old Sep 21st 2016, 7:29 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Bit of an under-statement, Canterbury has the best climate in NZ, hardly any rain, long hot summers and crisp cold winters, no humidity or insects!
Er.....sorry but that has to be Marlborough. NZ sunniest region, mild winters, no humidity.

Insects......maybe.
Old Sep 21st 2016, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Er.....sorry but that has to be Marlborough. NZ sunniest region, mild winters, no humidity.

Insects......maybe.
LOL! You may be correct, however you are too isolated and you don't have a rugby team!
Old Sep 21st 2016, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
LOL! You may be correct, however you are too isolated and you don't have a rugby team!
Really, I thought Tasman Makos beat the Crusaders occasionally :-)
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 10:17 am
Just Joined

alexkatethomas is an unknown quantity at this point

Bourbon-biscuit thank you - yes I had a feeling our careers were more suited to the bigger cities. We may have to stick to outskirts of Auckland - but Christchurch could definitely be an option, especially if summers are good
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 2:46 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alexkatethomas
Bourbon-biscuit thank you - yes I had a feeling our careers were more suited to the bigger cities. We may have to stick to outskirts of Auckland - but Christchurch could definitely be an option, especially if summers are good
OK, I'm just going to say it: have you considered Australia?

I ask because the cost of homes in Auckland is now just so ridiculous it's not worth even considering unless you are coming with mega bucks to earn megabucks.

I live in Newcastle, Australia and it is both a big city while also not being at all. My burb is dark and quiet at night but I can hear the ocean and the bush. We have heaps of bush for recreation and miles and miles of differing beaches. National Parks are a stone's throw for camping, tramping, kayaking but it takes me 15 mins to drive to all the city burbs and my husband cycles to work. Homes in burbs round me start at circa $5-600k for small family homes rising to $millions. There are cheaper burbs 20mins from the coast and round the lake.

The only problem is we are surrounded by Australians.

Last edited by bourbon-biscuit; Sep 23rd 2016 at 2:52 am.