Reload this Page >

BBQ's and Outdoor cooking

BBQ's and Outdoor cooking

Old Sep 24th 2017, 10:26 am
Just Joined

Mightymurph is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BBQ's and Outdoor cooking

Hi Everyone.
I am getting closer to my travel date in November.
I'm going to be staying with a friend at first.

Can anyone please information on how BBQ's are the same or different to UK.

At the moment my parents have a firepit that we put coal in to BBQ or wood for a fire.

Do you get this kind of thing in New Zealand?
Is it just gas BBQ's?
How much do the cost?
Do you get the disposable BBQ's?

I have heard garden fires in Australia are banned in some areas and seasons.
What are the laws and rules in New Zealand?

Are there smoke free zones?
I'll probably have more questions about this haha.

As always, thanks in advance.
Looking forward to a good summer.

Regards
Stephen
Old Sep 24th 2017, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBQ's and Outdoor cooking

BBQs & Accessories - Outdoor Living | The Warehouse
Old Sep 24th 2017, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Having a BBQ in NZ is considered an essential item. It's closer to the American approach than the UK approach to BBQ. Think of it more as outdoor cooking than strictly BBQing food.
The americans call it grilling to distinguish it from BBQ - one is a big metal contraption (with controls for the flames, a hood, temp gauge etc) that typically uses gas to cook food on; the other uses fossil fuel to cook on and the container for the fuel and grill set up is simpler and has little to no controls.

Personally I have lots of types.. lol

A large 6-burner grill with a hood and temp gauge and a side burner. I am planning on building an outdoor kitchen set up to house this on a new deck.

I also have a wood-burning oven that I built (call it a pizza oven if you must) in a separate area adjacent to the kitchen.

A weber charcoal BBQ, a small gas-fired 'camping' grill/BBQ and a 'pocket' charcoal BBQ - like a disposable tray style one but it isn't disposable.

Then I have a tall "Buschbeck" outdoor fireplace that is wood burning and has cooking inserts - that's next to an outdoor seating area. It's used as much as a heat source as for cooking.

Plus, I am planning on digging out a 'fire pit' southern-USA style thing in a square metre area next to the Wood-fired oven so i can make the wood embers in the oven and shovel them straight into my pit and do long-slow BBQ style cooking too.

TBH most people have the gas BBQ-grill and maybe the odd enthusiast will have a Weber. I am unusually obsessed, and it's not common/normal.
Old Sep 24th 2017, 7:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bearskin
.... The americans call it grilling to distinguish it from BBQ - one is a big metal contraption (with controls for the flames, a hood, temp gauge etc) that typically uses gas to cook food on; the other uses fossil fuel to cook on and the container for the fuel and grill set up is simpler and has little to no controls. ....
Gas is a fossil fuel, whereas I have never heard of any other sort of "fossil fuel" being used for BBQ cooking. FWIW. I live in the US.

Charcoal is scorched wood, typically hickory, and has nothing to do with fossils. Cooking over hickory charcoal is very popular and in my neck of the woods, and pretty much every supermarket has a pallet of sacks of charcoal outside for six months of the year, near the propane bottles, and DIY stores have a pallet inside near the gas grills and charcoal smokers/kettles.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 24th 2017 at 7:44 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mightymurph
At the moment my parents have a firepit that we put coal in to BBQ or wood for a fire.

Is it just gas BBQ's?
How much do the cost?
Do you get the disposable BBQ's?

Have never been to a BBQ that wasnt gas
If you tried a disposable one here you'd get laughed out of town.
This is NZ not the UK, smoke and fire regs wont apply to a backyard BBQ
you're over thinking it,
Old Sep 25th 2017, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
If you tried a disposable one here you'd get laughed out of town.
Nope, lots of people take them to the beach

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/samba-dis...rill_p00307750
Old Sep 25th 2017, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Yis https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/outdo...ating/c/RS2065
Old Sep 25th 2017, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

This is what we get every summer in the Waimakariri:

A Prohibited Fire Season is extended over the whole of the Waimakariri District from midnight Wednesday 16 December 2015 until further notice.
During the Prohibited Fire Season, it is an offence to light any fires in the open air. Gas barbecues lit in approved containers and situated in an area served by a domestic water supply are not deemed to be fires in the open.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Bearskin... When can I come over haha.

I do enjoy a good bit of meat cooking over a fire.

Sounds like I am going to fit in well.

Are there BBQ (outdoor cooking) clubs or societies? Hahaha
Old Sep 26th 2017, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Nope, lots of people take them to the beach

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/samba-dis...rill_p00307750
Nah. Bugger that they're crap. I bought a mini gas bbq specifically for the beach from Mitre10
Old Sep 27th 2017, 3:12 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

After being through a couple of bargain basement gas BBQ'a, we bit the bullet and got a three burner Broil King and we use it at least once a week in winter and just about every other day in Summer.

Also got a kettle style charcoal BBQ, can't beat the taste! But charcoal is expensive and can be hard to find quality charcoal here.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 3:51 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

BBQ Rabbit Island beach. Uses wood.

Attachment 128613
Old Sep 27th 2017, 5:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Catchafire
After being through a couple of bargain basement gas BBQ'a, we bit the bullet and got a three burner Broil King and we use it at least once a week in winter and just about every other day in Summer.

Also got a kettle style charcoal BBQ, can't beat the taste! But charcoal is expensive and can be hard to find quality charcoal here.
So it's cheaper in the long run to get a gas burner one?
Old Sep 27th 2017, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

As an FYI, some places here have built in BBQs in social areas.

We've got about 12 where I live. I tend to use those instead of having my own. Does the job and makes summer picnics by the lake enjoyable