Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving to New Zealand

Moving to New Zealand

Old Nov 22nd 2003, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

colinc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to New Zealand

We were hoping to move to Australia but looks like I would not be able to get in because of my age, I am 47yrs old married with 3 kids 18,16 and 13. I heard you can get in to New Zealand with a trade up to 55 years old. I am time served self employed contracting electrician, If we where to sell up our property in England we would be able to bring £220,000 with us. My wife works as a personal secretary and my eldest daughter is training in web page design the other 2 kids are still in school. Any advice would be much appreciated about the life style in New Zealand and the possibility of us getting accepted.
Colin
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

JanFree is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to New Zealand

Originally posted by colinc
We were hoping to move to Australia but looks like I would not be able to get in because of my age, I am 47yrs old married with 3 kids 18,16 and 13. I heard you can get in to New Zealand with a trade up to 55 years old. I am time served self employed contracting electrician, If we where to sell up our property in England we would be able to bring £220,000 with us. My wife works as a personal secretary and my eldest daughter is training in web page design the other 2 kids are still in school. Any advice would be much appreciated about the life style in New Zealand and the possibility of us getting accepted.
Colin
Hi...
I lived in NZ for a short time and there were so many Brits I was amazed. Many of them are in the construction business in some form or another, I personally knew a couple of guys from UK who were electricians. IF you go there and start up your own business offering employment to NZ citizens I would think you would be welcome. I went on a visitor's visa and was offered a job on the 5th day of my stay. Went to immigration and has a work permit in 10 days....due to the fact the job had been advertised and no one with the qualifications I had had applied for the job. The position was for a residential property manager....I had 14 yrs experience so I had no problems. I love NZ...it is a wonderful place for children, especially in the South.
Good luck!
JanFree
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 10:17 am
Just Joined

Phil & Karen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I Phil here. I am 49 and am going down the General Skills route. We just got back from 2 weeks in NZ and I found a job at Hamilton Airport pretty easily. (I'm in the RAF at the moment). They are short of skilled workers, all you need is a positive attitude and a bit bit of luck. Our application will go in mid-Dec when the new system comes into being. If you can get out there to look for a job and meet people face to face its probably easier than doing it across the miles.
If you can sort a job and get out there then you could always sort out your own business when you are settled.
We've got a bit less dosh than you but what we have will buy a beautiful house and give us a good quality of life.
We checked out a super school for my daughter, 10 yrs, and cant wait to get out there. Its fingers crossed for all to go well.
Good luck.
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

JanFree is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Phil & Karen
Hi, I Phil here. I am 49 and am going down the General Skills route. We just got back from 2 weeks in NZ and I found a job at Hamilton Airport pretty easily. (I'm in the RAF at the moment). They are short of skilled workers, all you need is a positive attitude and a bit bit of luck. Our application will go in mid-Dec when the new system comes into being. If you can get out there to look for a job and meet people face to face its probably easier than doing it across the miles.
If you can sort a job and get out there then you could always sort out your own business when you are settled.
We've got a bit less dosh than you but what we have will buy a beautiful house and give us a good quality of life.
We checked out a super school for my daughter, 10 yrs, and cant wait to get out there. Its fingers crossed for all to go well.
Good luck.
That's wonderful news....all the best to you and your family and the new job! I hope we can get back there one day too. We are doing my husband's immigration to USA right now so that's our main focus at the moment, but our dream is to return to NZ before we are 55...which will be here before we know it's happened. Take care.....Jane