Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving to New Zealand

Moving to New Zealand

Old Jun 9th 2003, 6:37 pm
New Zealand Bound

rickandkara is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to New Zealand

We're a family (married with 2 children ages 8 and 9) from Manchester, England and have decided to emigrate to New Zealand. Currently I have 24 points, I'm a Sheet Metal fabricator and welder, hopeful I will get a job offer before I submit my application or we will have to go over with the work to residency visa. Not decided where we want to live yet but know it won't be Aukland, we want somewhere a bit smaller, we've thought of Taruanga but not sure yet, really depends on the job. Anywhere will do as long as there is a beach and good schools. Any advise on the best areas to live would be great.
Sent off for the police reports 2 weeks ago.
Mailed a request to city and guilds for a copy of my qualification approx 2 weeks ago.
Booked in for the medical on 17th June (considering postponing this for a couple of weeks to ensure it doesn't run out before we have everything else back).
Got one more reference to get for prove of employment.

It would be great if we could talk to people going through or have gone through the immegration process.

Rick and Kara
Old Jun 9th 2003, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

tom's mum will become famous soon enoughtom's mum will become famous soon enough

Hi Rick and Kara,

We are also a family of four. Our kids are 14 and 5. We had a telephone call today from our case officer to let us know that we have been approved in principle. We are going to New Plymouth in Taranaki on the Tasman Sea side of the North island. i have managed to get a job as a midwife. however it is an industrial town with a large deep sea port. Good luck with the job hunting. Any help i can give with the process just give me a shout.

Helen
Old Jun 9th 2003, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

WilfredSlipshod is an unknown quantity at this point

Good news. Heave ho!

Wilf Slipupyerbumifyernotcareful
Old Jun 9th 2003, 8:16 pm
New Zealand Bound

Hi Helen

When did you send in your application and what does 'approved in principle' mean?
How long has the process taken you?
Old Jun 9th 2003, 8:19 pm
New Zealand Bound

Hi Helen

When did you lodge your application and what does 'approved in principle' mean?

How long has it taken you?

Kara
Old Jun 9th 2003, 9:06 pm
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Moving to New Zealand

Originally posted by rickandkara
We're a family (married with 2 children ages 8 and 9) from Manchester, England and have decided to emigrate to New Zealand. Currently I have 24 points, I'm a Sheet Metal fabricator and welder, hopeful I will get a job offer before I submit my application or we will have to go over with the work to residency visa. Not decided where we want to live yet but know it won't be Aukland, we want somewhere a bit smaller, we've thought of Taruanga but not sure yet, really depends on the job. Anywhere will do as long as there is a beach and good schools. Any advise on the best areas to live would be great.
Mailed a request to city and guilds for a copy of my qualification approx 2 weeks ago.
Booked in for the medical on 17th June (considering postponing this for a couple of weeks to ensure it doesn't run out before we have everything else back).
Got one more reference to get for prove of employment.

It would be great if we could talk to people going through or have gone through the immegration process.

Rick and Kara
Check your Private messages, I have sent you one!
Old Jun 9th 2003, 9:08 pm
New Zealand Bound

Did you not get my message back to you?
Old Jun 10th 2003, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

'Approval in Principle' means your PR application has effectively been approved, subject to a few things:

You must pay the migrant levy (basically a migrants tax), the settlement information fee (which pays for a nicely produced 'information pack' NZIS send you that has information about NZ society, the Treaty of Waitangi, day to day things like buying a house/opening bank account. You know...the sort of thing that gets read once, then sits on a shelf for years gathering dust.) From 1st July NZIS include the settlement information fee in the PR application fee (so you get the info pack at the start of the process, rather than the end).

If you claimed points for settlement funds (eg proceeds from the sale of a house) you have to transfer those funds to NZ within 6 months of the approval in principle letter. All you need to do is send NZIS a NZ bank statement that shows the funds have been transferred.

Finally you will need to send your passports to NZIS so they can place PR and RRV labels in your passport.

As stated above, you are given 6 months to meet all of these requirements. If you don't, NZIS can technically decline your PR application however if you were having trouble (say, selling the house) you'd more than likely get an extension.

When you get your passports back with your PR labels in them, you are given 1 year to enter NZ. This doesn't mean you have to move to NZ within the year, although you must at least visit the country to validate your visas (or they expire). Several people on the board have done that - holiday to NZ to validate, then return to the UK to tie up loose ends/sell the house etc etc.

Russ.
Old Jun 10th 2003, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by rickandkara

Rick and Kara
Hi Rick&Kara,

how do you send of for police reports?

Is it through the local police station or direct to NSY?
Old Jun 10th 2003, 12:52 pm
Christchurch Bound

stephen john is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by GetMeOutOfHere
Hi Rick&Kara,

how do you send of for police reports?

Is it through the local police station or direct to NSY?

We went to the local police station who then fill in a form and you pay a fee,you need to take two id items eg passport, takes 42 days!!! if your lucky.

Does anyone know if there is a time limit on the returnig residency permit?

Is anyone going to christchurch and is it easy to rent accomodation?We are going in september but may have to come back for house sale.
thanks
Old Jun 10th 2003, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by stephen john
We went to the local police station who then fill in a form and you pay a fee,you need to take two id items eg passport, takes 42 days!!! if your lucky.

Does anyone know if there is a time limit on the returnig residency permit?

Is anyone going to christchurch and is it easy to rent accomodation?We are going in september but may have to come back for house sale.
thanks
Thanks for info, try PM to Don(PleasanceFamily) he's off to CChch, or JWW(lives there)

HTH
Old Jun 10th 2003, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, there is. When you get PR, you are given a Returning Residents Visa (RRV) which is valid for two years. If you applied for PR outside NZ, the two year period starts from the date you first enter (validate) your PR visa. If you apply from within NZ it starts from the date NZIS place the PR/RRV labels in your passport.

What happens after the two year period is up depends on you and your commitment to NZ during those previous 2 years.

If you were in NZ for 184 days (approx 6 months) or more a year for both years, then when your initial RRV expires you should be eligible for an Indefinite RRV - ie it never expires. You could then leave NZ for 20 years if you wanted, and still return as a permanent resident (assuming no major changes to immigration law!)

If you didn't qualify for an indefinite RRV, you may be given a 1yr RRV providing you spent at least 184 days in NZ in the preceding year. If you somehow didn't manage to qualify for a 1 year RRV, NZIS will only issue 14 day RRV's.

Once you have lived in NZ for three years, you would be eligible to apply for Citizenship anyway, however there are separate residence requirements for citizenship...do a search, I answered a question on citizenship recently, or look it up on the DIA website: www.citizenship.govt.nz

Russ
Old Jun 10th 2003, 4:50 pm
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by BritboyNZ
'Approval in Principle' means your PR application has effectively been approved, subject to a few things:

You must pay the migrant levy (basically a migrants tax), the settlement information fee (which pays for a nicely produced 'information pack' NZIS send you that has information about NZ society, the Treaty of Waitangi, day to day things like buying a house/opening bank account. You know...the sort of thing that gets read once, then sits on a shelf for years gathering dust.) From 1st July NZIS include the settlement information fee in the PR application fee (so you get the info pack at the start of the process, rather than the end).

If you claimed points for settlement funds (eg proceeds from the sale of a house) you have to transfer those funds to NZ within 6 months of the approval in principle letter. All you need to do is send NZIS a NZ bank statement that shows the funds have been transferred.

Finally you will need to send your passports to NZIS so they can place PR and RRV labels in your passport.

As stated above, you are given 6 months to meet all of these requirements. If you don't, NZIS can technically decline your PR application however if you were having trouble (say, selling the house) you'd more than likely get an extension.

When you get your passports back with your PR labels in them, you are given 1 year to enter NZ. This doesn't mean you have to move to NZ within the year, although you must at least visit the country to validate your visas (or they expire). Several people on the board have done that - holiday to NZ to validate, then return to the UK to tie up loose ends/sell the house etc etc.

Russ.
Good speach Russ, you ever thought of becoming a migrant agent? Good info, well said!
Old Jun 10th 2003, 5:07 pm
Christchurch Bound

stephen john is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, there is. When you get PR, you are given a Returning Residents Visa (RRV) which is valid for two years. If you applied for PR outside NZ, the two year period starts from the date you first enter (validate) your PR visa. If you apply from within NZ it starts from the date NZIS place the PR/RRV labels in your passport.

What happens after the two year period is up depends on you and your commitment to NZ during those previous 2 years.

If you were in NZ for 184 days (approx 6 months) or more a year for both years, then when your initial RRV expires you should be eligible for an Indefinite RRV - ie it never expires. You could then leave NZ for 20 years if you wanted, and still return as a permanent resident (assuming no major changes to immigration law!)

If you didn't qualify for an indefinite RRV, you may be given a 1yr RRV providing you spent at least 184 days in NZ in the preceding year. If you somehow didn't manage to qualify for a 1 year RRV, NZIS will only issue 14 day RRV's.

Once you have lived in NZ for three years, you would be eligible to apply for Citizenship anyway, however there are separate residence requirements for citizenship...do a search, I answered a question on citizenship recently, or look it up on the DIA website: www.citizenship.govt.nz

Russ
Russ

Thanks very much for your reply,much appreciated.

claire
Old Jun 10th 2003, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Russ
I thought Don knew stuff, but Russ your the main NZ man in the know

Thanks its appreciated

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.