Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving January 2019.

Moving January 2019.

Old Mar 8th 2018, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

Alicia151 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving January 2019.

Hi there I’m new to this expat site and moving to newzealand in January next year... from England
Moving with partner and two young children.
For people that have moved with family’s already how did you find it? Kids too?
Best bits? Worst bits? Best place for family’s?
Thanks Alicia
Old Mar 8th 2018, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving January 2019.

Originally Posted by Alicia151
For people that have moved with family’s already how did you find it? Kids too?
Best bits? Worst bits? Best place for family’s?
Thanks Alicia
I think the tiny village where I live in Otago is the best place for kids, others will think their suburb of Auckland is better. Its like asking where is the best place for them in the UK ??

Where are you thinking of settling when you get here, that'll help us to answer
Old Mar 9th 2018, 10:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Justcol
I think the tiny village where I live in Otago is the best place for kids, others will think their suburb of Auckland is better. Its like asking where is the best place for them in the UK ??

Where are you thinking of settling when you get here, that'll help us to answer
Thanks for reply, my parents are in Hamilton atm and more then likely will be getting jobs near Auckland but I don’t know where to start! Not keen on living in a city...
How long have you lived in nz? Did you settle well?
Old Mar 9th 2018, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

This is my 10th year here and after the usually bouts of homesickness I settled in OK. Its home, I love it and don't think I could live in the UK again.
I settled in Cambridge just outside of Hamilton and enjoyed my time there. Unfortunately the town changed and grew so much I decided to leave as it didn't suite anymore. I still have friends there with young families and its a great place to raise kids.
Hamilton is an OK place, its got everything you could need, is an hour and half from Auckland on a weekend, double that for commuting. If you have fans in Hams I'm guessing youll want somewhere between there and aux. Be warned that is a very expensive stretch of road so take a look on trademe and realestatenz to gauge house prices. Personally I wouldn't I go within a million miles of any of the south Auckland suburbs, let alone consider raising kids there but I'm sure others will disagree.
NZ is a fabulous place to raise kids. Its nothing like the UK.
Old Mar 11th 2018, 1:53 am
BE Enthusiast

inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alicia151
Thanks for reply, my parents are in Hamilton atm and more then likely will be getting jobs near Auckland but I don’t know where to start! Not keen on living in a city...
How long have you lived in nz? Did you settle well?
Ive only been here 5 months, we live in flagstaff 20 mins outside the tron CBD, everytone takes the mick out of Hamilton ( i mean the place still has a video shop lol) but i like it and our local schools are great. The new expressway to Akl goes past our front door l,which may be interesting,have much in the UK so can honestly say no homesickness. The only things i miss is Hobgolin and trooper ales....sorry Good George but you just dont cut it and a decent curry. my good lady misses decent back bacon.
Old Mar 11th 2018, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by inkedneonurse
The only things i miss is Hobgolin and trooper ales....sorry Good George but you just dont cut it and a decent curry. my good lady misses decent back bacon.
We all miss bacon

I was lucky, I could still get a decent pint of Boddingtons when I was In Cambridge or a dodgy pint of Guinness at Bidddy Mulligans on Victoria St
Old Mar 11th 2018, 3:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

The only things i miss is Hobgolin and trooper ales....sorry Good George but you just dont cut it and a decent curry. my good lady misses decent back bacon.
Freedom Farms produce Back Bacon which is available in some (not all) supermarkets. It has the claim 'Fancy English Style' on the label.

I miss a decent curry too - most 'Indian' restaurants here present a terrible attempt to replicate what would be presented in the UK . Having said that there are two restaurants in Auckland that produce 'fancy' Indian food that is spectacular (not the same as a British curry - better).

Back on-topic, I don't have kids so can't help with that.

Last edited by Clappy; Mar 11th 2018 at 3:59 am. Reason: Clarifying myself.
Old Mar 11th 2018, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Justcol
This is my 10th year here and after the usually bouts of homesickness I settled in OK. Its home, I love it and don't think I could live in the UK again.
I settled in Cambridge just outside of Hamilton and enjoyed my time there. Unfortunately the town changed and grew so much I decided to leave as it didn't suite anymore. I still have friends there with young families and its a great place to raise kids.
Hamilton is an OK place, its got everything you could need, is an hour and half from Auckland on a weekend, double that for commuting. If you have fans in Hams I'm guessing youll want somewhere between there and aux. Be warned that is a very expensive stretch of road so take a look on trademe and realestatenz to gauge house prices. Personally I wouldn't I go within a million miles of any of the south Auckland suburbs, let alone consider raising kids there but I'm sure others will disagree.
NZ is a fabulous place to raise kids. Its nothing like the UK.
Have been doing a lot of research as parents are not keen on Hamilton so would possible be moving too...
Also the prices in Auckland...even Suburbs are shocking 😂
Old Mar 11th 2018, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

Ive only been here 5 months, we live in flagstaff 20 mins outside the tron CBD, everytone takes the mick out of Hamilton ( i mean the place still has a video shop lol) but i like it and our local schools are great. The new expressway to Akl goes past our front door l,which may be interesting,have much in the UK so can honestly say no homesickness. The only things i miss is Hobgolin and trooper ales....sorry Good George but you just dont cut it and a decent curry. my good lady misses decent back bacon.
Haha brilliant, Yes not overly keen on Hamilton looking around surrounding areas ...
All very confusing so thank god for this site
Old Mar 11th 2018, 9:34 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clappy
...most 'Indian' restaurants here present a terrible attempt to replicate what would be presented in the UK...
But why would they be trying to emulate a UK curry? The UK is well-known for having a much hotter curry market than India...

Bolliwood in Auckland is pretty good, either restaurant or takeaway but you have to be prepared to lift the ordered spice level a notch or two if that is what you want.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 6:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
But why would they be trying to emulate a UK curry? The UK is well-known for having a much hotter curry market than India...
I tried to avoid describing a British curry as 'Indian Food'. A British curry is a British version but since this is a forum for British expats I would expect it to be the version most are familiar with.

In a New Zealand regular Indian restaurant the menu has the same dishes* that would be seen in a British Indian restaurant but when they are served they have little heat.

*With the exception that I don't ever recall seeing 'Butter Chicken' as an option on a menu in the UK.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clappy
Having said that there are two restaurants in Auckland that produce 'fancy' Indian food that is spectacular (not the same as a British curry - better).
Cassia in Britomart?
I do also like Paradise in Sandringham Rd.

But, if you have time to stop when passing through Paeroa for a feed - Kumars is indeed 'something special'. Spectacular.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Justcol;12460199]We all miss bacon

You could treat yourself:

https://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/...?action=search

for your birthday maybe?