Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving companies Moved to Main Forum

Moving companies Moved to Main Forum

Old Jul 24th 2008, 1:34 am
Just Joined

wiltshm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving companies Moved to Main Forum

Hi, we moved to NZ last year and used a UK company called Anglo Pacific. I thought they were great at the time but when we arrived we found we were completely unprepared for the paperwork we had to fill in at this end to clear customs. i.e. did you know if you pack prescription medication (I'm asthmatic) you have to have a doctor's note before customs will release it. Also, you need to complete an inventory of everything that's in your container before it is released. i wish we knew this before we came over. Hope it helps anybody in the process of packing up and moving over here! And good luck!
Old Jul 30th 2008, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

kayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving companies Moved to Main Forum

Originally Posted by wiltshm
Hi, we moved to NZ last year and used a UK company called Anglo Pacific. I thought they were great at the time but when we arrived we found we were completely unprepared for the paperwork we had to fill in at this end to clear customs. i.e. did you know if you pack prescription medication (I'm asthmatic) you have to have a doctor's note before customs will release it. Also, you need to complete an inventory of everything that's in your container before it is released. i wish we knew this before we came over. Hope it helps anybody in the process of packing up and moving over here! And good luck!
thank you for this, we are flying out in September, did your company pack the items themselves and were they competitive? We have a 20 foot container to ship which in a storage facility at mo and the amount of advice we are getting is confusing. Anglo Pacific havent come back to us and quote yet so decided not to pursue their services, any advice would be welcome
Old Jul 31st 2008, 1:24 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

The shippers you choose will come into your home and pack all your house contents for you. They will complete an inventory as they go , which is also used for the Bill of Lading. The Bill of Lading will have a number. When everything is packed , they will ask you to countersign the shipping inventory & you will should be given a copy.

As they pack, they will be noting damages and which items you may have packed yourself. This will be for the marine insurance. Mostly one goes with the Marine Insurers that the shippers recommend, but it is possible to shop around and find your own.

Prior to them packing up your home, your Marine Insurers will have sent you the insurance forms. You will need to list all items and their worth. The insurance premium is somewhere around 3% of the total value (from memory). Marine Insurance is not compulsory. Items you pack yourself may not be covered by marine insurance. Likewise check out about insurance of high value items.

Also before the shippers pack up your home, you need to go through your belongs and clean (Jeyes fluid) , scrubbed & pressure washed any items that MAF could be interested in. This includes such items as bicycles, vacuum cleaners, tools, garden furniture, camping gear etc. It is perfectly possible to bring these items into NZ provided that MAF consider them clean and no risk to bio-security.

The same applies to wooden artefacts, cane, wicker furniture. They are not totally prohibited from NZ. What you need to make sure of is that they are not carrying any threats to NZ via insects, dirt, larvae, eggs etc.

Pay attention to even items like work boots. They should have no dirt on or in them.

Keep a record/list of what you clean & keep this with you as you will need this for the MAF clearance forms once your container arrives in NZ.

If there are any items that MAF are interested in or they feel warrant further inspection , they will open the container. You need to be present for the clearance and you will need your Bill of Lading and ID - passport. You can elect to have the clearance done at your new home. It does not need to be at the port. Items which MAF feels are unsafe and a risk to bio-security will be quarantined. They may offer them to be fumigated at your cost or they may destroy the items.

Many shippers use a third party to deliver your container to your door here in NZ. Either White Van Lines or Moving Company. There is a bit of a scam going whereby these two companies try to charge you approx. an extra $400 for MAF clearance. They will call this a service charge. Be firm and state you will attend to MAF yourselves.

Customs will also be interested in your container. As the OP stated, if you bring in medical items you need to declare this with a doctors note & it is best to keep it in it's original packaging.

If you are thinking of buying furniture, white ware or even linen before coming, it is wise to unwrap it as customs could be interested in brand new items.

Once on the high seas, you will be able to keep track of your container using the Bill of Lading number or the container number.

When the container is being unpacked, don't just leave it to the delivery men. Check off the goods yourself, using your shipping inventory. If you can, have the goods unpacked there and then by the delivery people and inspect your goods. Make a note of any damages or missing items.

links:-

MAF

CUSTOMS
A Container Tracking link
Old Jul 31st 2008, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

kayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud ofkayos has much to be proud of

Wow, thank you for all this information, very useful. We are abit concerned now as we have already packed our goods and they are already in a storage container in a self storage unit. (We've sold our house and living in temporary accommodation at mo before we fly). They have all been marked on an inventory and waiting for a ompany to pick up, reload and ship. We have been told that we could load their container ourselves but I'm now worried about insurance, Any advise?