Moving back to NZ

Old Mar 1st 2018, 12:36 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to NZ

Originally Posted by Princess_Buttercup
Back to what I was asking is there anything you would have put into a container that you didnt originally but realised after the fact.
LOL - not what you meant but when we moved in 2010 we filled a 40ft container, the packers had just put the seal on when they realised they hadn't put in the box of screws/bolts etc that came from dismantling furniture.

"No problem" they said, "we'll just get that seal off and reseal it", the driver had a second seal in the cab. Then they discovered that as they were doing a "pack" and not an "unpack" they had lent their truck's bolt crops to another crew...well after beating the seal with a sledge hammer we had....a still-sealed container, at which point they offered to ship the screw & bolts box by courier...

So make sure everything is <in> the container before it is sealed is my advice
Old Mar 1st 2018, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
That's the problem. Someone who has a low mortgage and bought when house prices were low, will have a complete different life than someone moving now.

Because they aren't spending 50% of their salary on a mortgage or rent, higher prices won't bother them. I suppose to have a realistic view, you would have to look at someone moving now, no savings and on minimum wage. And again that will depend on location and priorities.
No savings and minimum wage is so realistic?
Old Mar 1st 2018, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

OP, I am coming back over from Australia in august, I am Aussie, was married to a Kiwi and we lived in NZ and Oz..I always take my full 20ft container as I feel comfortable with all my furniture and things, even if they are ugly and very 1990's!

Good luck with the move!

Michelle
Old Mar 1st 2018, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
That's the problem. Someone who has a low mortgage and bought when house prices were low, will have a complete different life than someone moving now.
Not necessarily the case.
My ex lext me without a pot to piss in...literally
7 years ago I had some clothes, an old car and a mountain bike What I have now is down to hard work and commitment. I if can do it anyone can or you can make excuses, carry on paying rent and buying houses for other people

Back to topic
Old Mar 1st 2018, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kotare
No savings and minimum wage is so realistic?
Well that's the easiest option to see if a place is affordable or not. Anybody will obviously look at the worst case scenario. Can I afford my mortgage with a minimum wage job etc.. In reality, most people don't have a career and have to rely on a job to make a living. Even with a career, you could lose your job tomorrow and will have to rely on a minimum wage job, which is becoming the reality everywhere.

Just saying that that's the only real way to compare what one can get in a certain location.
Old Mar 31st 2018, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Princess_Buttercup is an unknown quantity at this point

Tickets booked. Resignations made. Apparently it's all on!
Old Apr 10th 2018, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hopeto
Surfing here and I think I have found a pirate!
Hahaha 😉 No hiding my light under any bushels!
Old Apr 10th 2018, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Princess_Buttercup
Tickets booked. Resignations made. Apparently it's all on!
Good luck Princess Buttercup!

I've booked shipping, booked the dog, booked the daughter in year 12 (easy for us as we already have lived there and know the schools and she has friends), booked a furnished rental though someone I know for a few months, lined up job, all set to fly out from Brisbane 15th August...phew!

Michelle
Old Apr 10th 2018, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Super organised! Lol we've had the moving peeps around for quotes - luckily we don't have too much stuff to come. Will touch down in Dunners mid May! Bit of a shock to the system to be an unemployed soon!
Old Apr 10th 2018, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Ahh Princess Buttercup, I'm only super organised this time from experience, when we first did it in 2009 I was a mess ! I've moved six times, five within Australia since, this is the last move!

Michelle
Old Apr 10th 2018, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

john_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
Hmmm I think they have a point.To be comfortable here go for 2.75 to 3 x GBP to NZD in earnings, or you are gonna scrimp and save here.Chasing those specials at the local supermarket.

You work for the Otago Tourist Board?
My bold, so by that reckoning with the average current household income for NZ being $105,000 you would need to earn $315,000 or £163,000 every year just to be comfortable?

With that kind of money coming in you should be able to put champagne on your cornflakes. Or fill an entire fridge with cucumbers.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mishclark
Ahh Princess Buttercup, I'm only super organised this time from experience, when we first did it in 2009 I was a mess ! I've moved six times, five within Australia since, this is the last move!

Michelle
Yeah we've moved three times since 2009 - hate moving, hate dealing with the movers - I find it really stressful - TG for husbands Project Management roots. He loves that stuff - he literally sent me off to the shops the first time we moved in the UK
Old Apr 10th 2018, 10:44 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john_hepburn
My bold, so by that reckoning with the average current household income for NZ being $105,000 you would need to earn $315,000 or £163,000 every year just to be comfortable?

With that kind of money coming in you should be able to put champagne on your cornflakes. Or fill an entire fridge with cucumbers.
Nah you've gone the wrong way, he is suggesting a rough equivalence between GBP35,000 in the UK and $105,000 in NZ (using your example number).
Old Apr 11th 2018, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

john_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by simonsi
Nah you've gone the wrong way, he is suggesting a rough equivalence between GBP35,000 in the UK and $105,000 in NZ (using your example number).
Surely that's the same thing, 3 x to be comfortable.

Sorry, I used the NZ figure for my example as it's actually quite difficult to compare the raw numbers between UK and NZ. The UK ONS quote average household as net while NZ quote averages in gross.

So again by the stated 2.75 to 3x GBP to NZD figure, using the average UK net household income of £27,000 you would need a NZ net income of around $156,000 to have an equivalent "average" lifestyle. Which seems a bit extreme IMHO.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need $156,000 NZD to have an "average" lifestyle. Concur that this is extreme. Many Kiwis would be ecstatic to be on that salary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.