Reload this Page >

Moving to Albany . A few questions

Moving to Albany . A few questions

Old Nov 10th 2017, 1:28 am
Just Joined

batesfamily is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Albany . A few questions

Originally Posted by Ericjotegs
Because my job is based in Albany and we’ve rented temporary accommodation there, hence why we’ve asked about areas to try get helpful advice!!!
Just asking, when we were looking from the UK we thought about North Shore and I would commute but once here we changed our minds and moved to Pakuranga.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
at least all the roadworks along the highway past AJHS and ASHS are finished.
Every time I drive that way home I always regret it whether it is school finishing time or later.

The road surface is nice and even now so that is something positive.
Old Nov 12th 2017, 4:48 am
MDD
Just Joined

MDD has a brilliant futureMDD has a brilliant futureMDD has a brilliant futureMDD has a brilliant futureMDD has a brilliant futureMDD has a brilliant future

Hi, congratulations on your move, you must be really excited and apprehensive at the same time.
I live very close to Albany, Browns Bay/northcross area and regularly walk to Albany mall, a friend has just bought a house off one of the roads off Albany highway, she is originally from Ireland and moved here from Leicester, we were looking at schools and things in the area because of her move, so I feel like I know it quite well. Obviously Auckland is a big city, which comes with traffic problems, however we recently had a year back in the UK, so it will depend on where you are coming from how much that will annoy you, because compared to lots of areas back there it is not as bad, I also think that it is a good compromise to rent in Albany if that is where you will be working and then you won’t be as affected by it. Albany is a little more urban than some areas, because it is more central and as some people have stated, it has seen a huge amount of growth, with lots of new housing developments and businesses. However, depending on where you are going to be living, it still has loads of green spaces, depending on traffic, it’s a short drive to lovely beaches and has lots going on. If your daughter is 12 and you are in Albany it would probably would be Albany junior high, which leads on to Albany senior, I have heard really good things about them. Albany senior is known as been a little alternative and more modern in their approach, compared to some of the more traditional set up, however people love it and have moved children out of some of the other local schools like Rangitoto and Long Bay college and thought it was great for their kids, I think you would just have to look and see what you think. My personal choice is to not get too caught up in it and just send them to the local one, unless there is something really terrible with it, then they meet others in their local area and they are not having to travel all over town for the sake of something only potentially slightly better. I have got anxious over the whole nz uk school thing and then schools, but realised that most kids do well where ever. My son is currently at Long Bay and had a year back in the uk doing gcse’s and did fine with both and they both have pros and cons. My brother went to Takapuna Grammar and did ncea’s and felt when he went to university, initially those that had done gcse/a level maths, were slightly ahead, but it quickly levelled out and he left with a first in civil engineering.
If your daughter wants to meet others quickly, you could put her in a holiday club run from the school she will be attending, or there are other things close that have holiday programmes there, such as the tennis arena, however she might want to just get used to things and enjoy the time before going to school because it isn’t long. We have an 11 year old daughter if she wants to meet up with someone, I am sure she would be really happy to do and tell her about the area and what life is like here in comparison to there. She will be attending Northcross intermediate next year.
If there is anything else that you want to specifically know let me know, happy to answer
Old Nov 15th 2017, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

Ericjotegs is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much for your knowledge and sorry for taking time to reply , we moved out of our house at the weekend and have move in with family till we fly out on December, all feels so real now 😁. We were telling our daughter about yourself and your family and by chance our daughter will be starting in north cross in jan too, she is already asking about has she got snapchat and asking all the questions about her as she is excited about meeting someone who has moved their already and knows to ins and outs of life over there. We would love to meet up with yourself if possible as we have prepared as much as we can but as you probably know their is things we probably don’t know 😂 lol