Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Motorhome or Caravan?

Motorhome or Caravan?

Old Aug 4th 2008, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

NermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really nice
Question Motorhome or Caravan?

Hi there, I've seen a few threads on Caravans and whether to import or not but I wondered from any of you already in NZ whether having had a caravan in the UK that you would want one in NZ? Looking on TradeMe the prices of caravans are astronomical in comparison to UK but the Motorhomes more reasonable to here. We were over there for a few weeks some years ago and I think the roads are not up to alot of towing so feel a motorhome would be better, hubby can't bear to be parted from our precious caravan and wants to import it to NZ. What do you think?
If we did import it do you think we could sell it easily and buy a motorhome??
Old Aug 4th 2008, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Motorhome or Caravan?

Originally Posted by NermaltheCute
Hi there, I've seen a few threads on Caravans and whether to import or not but I wondered from any of you already in NZ whether having had a caravan in the UK that you would want one in NZ? Looking on TradeMe the prices of caravans are astronomical in comparison to UK but the Motorhomes more reasonable to here. We were over there for a few weeks some years ago and I think the roads are not up to alot of towing so feel a motorhome would be better, hubby can't bear to be parted from our precious caravan and wants to import it to NZ. What do you think?
If we did import it do you think we could sell it easily and buy a motorhome??

Hi

Our biggest regret is not bringing out touring caravan here from the UK. We had a brand new twin axle and in hindsight (great that isn't it) we should have brought it with us and paid the shipping as we now cannot afford one here - well not the standard that we were used to back in the UK. We are however thinking about buying a motorhome at some point in the future simply because freedom camping is better with a motorhome and you can use if for days out around the lakes fishing etc whereas a caravan is litterally tow and stay. Hope that helps. You would not have too much problem selling your caravan here especially if it is a modern one. Roads are OK down here in the south island for towing and they are much wider than in the UK.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of people tow big heavy boats all around the country so I wouldn't have thought towing a caravan would be much of a problem - a good excuse to get a big diesel 4x4 if nothing else
Old Aug 5th 2008, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

NermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really nice

Thank you for your thoughts. It's the go anywhere anytime idea of a motorhome that I like the sound of but you can't pitch camp in one and leave it there a while if you want to explore around. I think we'll look into exporting the caravan, anyone done this recently? I saw a thread a while ago on this and all about steam cleaning.

Thanks again