Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Morbid question - any advice on flying casket back to the UK?

Morbid question - any advice on flying casket back to the UK?

Old Jul 9th 2015, 3:59 am
Just Joined

hokeypokey has much to be proud ofhokeypokey has much to be proud ofhokeypokey has much to be proud ofhokeypokey has much to be proud ofhokeypokey has much to be proud ofhokeypokey has much to be proud ofhokeypokey has much to be proud ofhokeypokey has much to be proud ofhokeypokey has much to be proud ofhokeypokey has much to be proud ofhokeypokey has much to be proud of
Default Morbid question - any advice on flying casket back to the UK?

Hi - I wondered if anyone has had any experience of having a loved ones body flown back to the UK to be buried? Specifically, I wanted to know how easy this is to organise and how costly?

My mum emmigrated over here last year. My dad died some years ago and is buried in the UK. It was his anniversary yesterday and mum & I got to talking - I was really surprised to hear her say that, despite the fact she wants to be buried beside my dad when she dies, she had just assumed that it wouldn't be possible anymore because she lives here. She reckoned it would be too expensive.

So - I thought that maybe there might be someone out there who had been through this and wondered if they could give us any advice?

My mum still hasn't sorted out her life insurance yet since moving here as far as I know. Am thinking maybe there might be a policy out there which might help cover the costs of flying a casket back to the UK?

I should probably mention too that my mum isn't ill or anything - I would just like to be able to reassure her and give her peace of mind that she will be able to be buried beside my dad when the time comes because it is what she wants.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jul 9th 2015, 4:21 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Morbid question - any advice on flying casket back to the UK?

Whilst I don't want to die here (fate may have other plans), I've accepted that if that happens, my funeral will be have to be here. The logistics of flying a dead body overseas just don't bear thinking about.

I've made it clear that my ashes are to be scattered in Britain, not NZ. I'll get there one way or another !

I don't know how much it would cost to fly a corpse overseas. Would an insurance company cover the cost ?

Could you look it up online ? Or phone an undertaker and ask if they have experience of this. Or phone an insurance company and ask what's involved.

Back in 1988 I got a temporary job working on the cargo switchboard of an airline company. I swear I saw a metal coffin shaped box in the warehouse, which probably contained the actual coffin, the remains of the deceased probably lay within.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 4:35 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Would cremation and a promise to take her ashes back to be scattered over his grave offer her some comfort?

Blimey, emigration brings up some depressing conversations! I hope you have many, many more years with your mum in NZ
Old Jul 9th 2015, 5:57 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hey HokeyPokey.

Not a morbid subject at all . A very sensible subject which concerns migrants and expats worldwide. It should be spoken about more often and more openly.

With regard to a policy I think, but am not sure, that you should be looking for a Private Medical Insurance policy which covers repatriation of a body. Other than that, future proof as they call it nowadays. In other words, save $ for that time to come.

Contact the NZ British Consul , or if useless contact UK direct.

Originally Posted by nidirectuk
If you wish to bring the body back to the UK, British Consular staff will help by putting you in touch with an international funeral director. The body will need to be embalmed and placed in a zinc-lined coffin before it can be removed from the country. It may take some time to bring the body home, especially if a post-mortem examination is held.
There are international funeral businesses out there that offer repatriation services - probably for a fee. See HERE.You have nothing to lose by asking them their current costs.

If your Mum is comfortable with the idea, then a cremation here and you take her ashes back to the UK is perfectly possible. Just ensure with the relevant authority that it will be OK to partially open the grave for her ashes to be interred.

I do hope this help guide a little.

If you do find helpful info please do post it here for others.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 6:57 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

there are a number of repatriation sites for this sort of thing. Maybe just send them an email and see what they say
Old Jul 9th 2015, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute

The Welsh Dragon Bar in Wellington are holding a fundraiser to repatriate the body of one of their regulars to Ireland (the guy that drowned Saturday night). They haven't said what the target is, but I can let you know if they announce the total they raise.