British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   money to be made with brexit exchange rate (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/money-made-brexit-exchange-rate-879318/)

wakeride Jun 23rd 2016 6:46 am

money to be made with brexit exchange rate

any one ready to transfer money on results of brexit rates could drop or rise massive any one else think there is money to be had

Pom_Chch Jun 23rd 2016 7:10 am

Re: money to be made with brexit exchange rate

Yes, we have had money in an account for a while waiting to see what happens ;)

Charismatic Jun 23rd 2016 7:45 am

Wouldn't want to get caught holding GBP if the UK votes out :blink:.

Charismatic Jun 24th 2016 3:15 am

GBP getting absolutely hammered on a Brexit lead, down 7%. When people panic the exits get very small very quickly. For those of us holding NZD we are flying. A NZD bought you about 48.3 pence at 10am and it now buys you about 51.8 pence. Pre-market indicates FTSE will slump 6% on open today.

Charismatic Jun 24th 2016 3:28 am

Now FTSE futures down 8%. Brexit looks worse for the UK than the financial crisis was.

BEVS Jun 24th 2016 3:40 am

....as many tried to caution.

UK rating could well be downgraded also.
What is odd to read is that people are still thinking an exit will somehow stop inward immigration & that Brits will be better off in the pocket for the UK not paying into the EU.

Oh well. Maybe this coming year is the year me and him should have a good holiday in the UK.

LoCarb Jun 24th 2016 3:44 am

I think this is a vote against neoliberalism and the banksters as much as against the EU.

It was the only way ordinary people could raise a protest.

Just as here in NZ, Labour, Conservatives/National have identical economic policies.
So who can you vote for in a general election to bring about genuine change?

paddy234 Jun 24th 2016 4:09 am

Originally Posted by LoCarb (Post 11982159)
I think this is a vote against neoliberalism and the banksters as much as against the EU.

It was the only way ordinary people could raise a protest.

Just as here in NZ, Labour, Conservatives/National have identical economic policies.
So who can you vote for in a general election to bring about genuine change?

I agree. i'm surprised and impressed with how Britain has stood up in protest at where the EU is headed and stood for it's national identity. Now Ireland needs to do the same

Pom_Chch Jun 24th 2016 4:51 am

Pound is at the lowest it's been since 1985. Perhaps a visit to the UK is on the cards after all...

Stormer999 Jun 24th 2016 5:06 am

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 11982259)
Pound is at the lowest it's been since 1985. Perhaps a visit to the UK is on the cards after all...

Better be quick before they shut the doors...;)

Charismatic Jun 24th 2016 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 11982138)
Now FTSE futures down 8%. Brexit looks worse for the UK than the financial crisis was.

US markets suspend trading on falls:
"S&P 500 and Nasdaq futures plummeted by 5pc in the wee Friday hours on the east coast, hitting overnight limit thresholds and causing trading to be suspended."

FTSE futures trading down between 8 and 9% now. This has to be a particularly unpleasant moment to hold FTSE shares heading into a market opening.

Edit to add: Sorry when I posted this it was down between 8 and 9%, it's now down over 9%.

pleccy2000 Jun 24th 2016 7:05 am

so right now it's 1.9 NZD to the pound. Do we think it will drop lower, say to 1.8?

Charismatic Jun 24th 2016 7:28 am

PM resigns.

Pom_Chch Jun 24th 2016 7:45 am

How long will it take until the whole of british expats goes crazy with everyone who wants out of the UK? Hedge your bets!

barnsleymat Jun 24th 2016 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 11982456)
How long will it take until the whole of british expats goes crazy with everyone who wants out of the UK? Hedge your bets!

I've seen some of my friends post on social media saying they want out of the UK and one suggested NZ. I have reminded him that NZ has strict immigration rules, we aren't ruled by bureaucrats from other countries and we sign our own trade deals. He would hate it here.