Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

money to be made with brexit exchange rate

money to be made with brexit exchange rate

Old Aug 4th 2016, 12:24 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: money to be made with brexit exchange rate

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Exactly, why should ignorance be a bar? Maybe I should express my ill informed opinion as well. I mean I'm not an expert but I bet I must 'reckon' something .
^^^^ This. The rise of the opinion, perfectly expressed by Farage's "people have had enough of experts". I haven't had enough of experts! What's the alternative? Everyone just gets an opinion based on their own experience/ ignorance and that's that? Before we know it the NHS will be funding homeopathy for bowel cancer cos in the opinion of homeopaths ...

It has reduced its growth prediction for 2017 from the 2.3% it was expecting in May to 0.8%."
Didn't a few economic experts and expert organisations before the referendum make a few expert predictions about the economy in a post-Brexit vote world?
Old Aug 5th 2016, 2:02 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: money to be made with brexit exchange rate

Ben Broadbent (Bank of England deputy governor) saying they will cut again this year if economic conditions continue to deteriorate. Zero interest rates here we come!
Old Aug 5th 2016, 9:23 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Ben Broadbent (Bank of England deputy governor) saying they will cut again this year if economic conditions continue to deteriorate. Zero interest rates here we come!
Then negative interest rates followed by the cashless society. We pay the banks to hold our savings. Makes the conspiracy theorists look prescient.
Old Aug 16th 2016, 7:13 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
Then negative interest rates followed by the cashless society. We pay the banks to hold our savings. Makes the conspiracy theorists look prescient.

...wait should I be filling my pillow with the contents my savings account?

First data point post Brexit (just) to be released tonight, inflation. BoE have pushed liquidity into the economy, lets see if they have managed to provide breathing space.
Old Aug 16th 2016, 7:23 am
Truth is the safest lie.

55p. We are fast approaching the high set in 2013 @ 0.5607p, could be a new record.
So close to closing above this, 0.5606p although it did peak above this price level.
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I believe that's numberwang.
Old Aug 16th 2016, 8:15 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it got to 58p for an NZ Dollar in 2013.

Numberwang is totally brilliant. They're currency speculators aren't they ?
Old Aug 17th 2016, 3:27 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

...wait should I be filling my pillow with the contents my savings account?

No because cash will no longer be available - you put your money into assets, e.g property to get a return. What can possibly go wrong.
Old Sep 4th 2016, 2:16 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Prime Minister Theresa May warns of difficult times ahead for the UK.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Thought I'd just pop back in to this one to see how those who needed the Samaritans following Brexit are holding up

I've been lighting candles, singing Kumbaya and shouting Gouranga on alternate days to cover all bases.

I hope your all holding on in there
Old Sep 11th 2016, 10:50 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Still waiting for article 50. May has been most insistent that "Brexit means Brexit" but the details remain sketchy. No trade deals yet as everyone is waiting to see what the UK does regarding the EU.

Interesting to see that May ruled out a points based immigration system for the UK. I think she'll position to sell the EEA deal now like Norway, accept free movement, pay the contributions and accept most EU laws but exclude the UK from European politics. This will also avoid a passporting issue for financial services (which would give the EU excessive leverage over the UK) if they went along the route Canada/Switzerland did. The UK can likely achieve this by 2020.

Thoughts/views/opinions?
Old Sep 11th 2016, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Still waiting for article 50. May has been most insistent that "Brexit means Brexit" but the details remain sketchy. No trade deals yet as everyone is waiting to see what the UK does regarding the EU.

Interesting to see that May ruled out a points based immigration system for the UK. I think she'll position to sell the EEA deal now like Norway, accept free movement, pay the contributions and accept most EU laws but exclude the UK from European politics. This will also avoid a passporting issue for financial services (which would give the EU excessive leverage over the UK) if they went along the route Canada/Switzerland did. The UK can likely achieve this by 2020.

Thoughts/views/opinions?
Brexit politicians won't accept that - so she will have to call a new election and that could get interesting if she stands on your suggested platform ie Brexit Lite.
Old Sep 12th 2016, 12:51 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Hopefully they object.

Prime Minister May seems very happy to wait for those who supported invoking article 50 and have now been appointed to either piss or get off the pot.
Old Sep 12th 2016, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

There would be a massive backlash if she goes Brexit Lite or goes back on invoking Article 50. It would be political suicide, given that she has "promised" it will happen. I thought it was interesting and quite a lot of other people picked up on the "people want SOME control over migration". Actually, quite a lot of people want TOTAL control. She doesn't appear to be a lady that likes to be rushed and even though it is killing sterling (a nightmare for me!) it needs to be done properly and won't happen overnight. It would be good to know what the general long term plan is. I personally don't think there is a problem with a point system (perhaps I'm just bitter, going through the visa palaver for NZ!). If we need fruit pickers or brain surgeons and can't fill the roles in the UK, we should be free to invite those we need. I have no problem with that. Providing everyone gets proper working conditions and fair pay, I don't care who does what job. The current trend of Zero Hours contracts and "self-employed" courier drivers worries me - employees aren't being looked after in many lower paid sectors and widely-held opinion (depressingly) is that Indian and eastern European migrants will settle for far less in terms of working conditions and pay, and that is negatively impacting on the UK workforce. This isn't good news for anyone; the Indians, eastern Europeans or UK workers. I agree with your eloquent appraisal charismatic of her appointment choice - I think she was smart in distancing herself. In effect saying, "you said it would work, well make it happen". Interesting times.

Last edited by Damson; Sep 12th 2016 at 10:40 am.
Old Sep 12th 2016, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting that the Brexit champions are now backing out of the promises which they made without any ability to fulfil.

Apparently we aren't going to get £350 million for the NHS after all.

Who knew?
Old Sep 12th 2016, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
Interesting that the Brexit champions are now backing out of the promises which they made without any ability to fulfil.

Apparently we aren't going to get £350 million for the NHS after all.

Who knew?
But equally interesting that the biblical plagues promised by the 'remainers' haven't come to pass (yet).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.