Money??

Old Oct 20th 2017, 10:44 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Money??

Originally Posted by Jordon
Been doing all the necessary research and job hunting.

I've noticed that the average person in my line of work (Machining) earns Around $850 ish a week after tax. I've done every bit of research I think I can, i could be wrong but it seems to me that I'll be coming to nz to be skint and working all the time? And all the relevant sites are telling me I'll be $1000 down a week!! I must be doing it wrong cause I'm desperate to get over in the next year or two. Planning a visit next April and I'm looking for jobs as we speak.

The prices are completely different to Sheffield where I live and I'd like it so my partner can stay at home.

Help????
It's not exactly set in stone, I'm an apprentice trained manual large turner, 6 year old daughter I'd be looking to settle really, my family would be a lot better over there by the sounds of it. Looking for the comfortable outdoors lifestyle.
Let's start again.

Wages for a trade job can vary depending in which location you are in New Zealand, however from what you have written that would be a $27/$28 ph which seems about right .

As has been stated, unless you can be mortgage free then I feel that would be a very tough going living wage if you are hoping that your partner can be a stay at home mum. I've known a family or two that have survived on this BUT they have come from very different places and backgrounds so their expectations for their lives is far different.

Provided you have the relevant trade qualifications and experience , your trade is seen as skilled by New Zealand. However fitters & turners are not in shortage here in New Zealand at the moment. That makes it hard for any prospective employer to offer you a job as that employer will need to prove to the NZ Dept of Labour that there is no home grown that could take up that work or be trained up. That doesn't mean that a job offer couldn't be garnered. Just that offers will likely be very thin on the ground.

My husband and I survive on his employed trade wages. At his age now he prefers employment over self employed as it takes off the stress . However that comes with financial restrictions. We have no mortgage and no kids. We are certainly not frivolous in our spending but we do need to keep a tight grip on our budget to ensure everything stays on an even keel. That is our reality and it is restrictive . Yes. There is the free 'stuff' and all that but that can become dull.

For a young family looking for a complete change and new start NZ can be liberating but I think you are wise to really question if you will happily survive on that take home pay.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

born_bred_red is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Bevs. Yes I lost my orginal details. I think I set the account up in March/April though lost the login details. I couldnt remember my username. Possibly london_29 or something like that.
Old Oct 21st 2017, 12:27 am
`

Originally Posted by born_bred_red
Thanks Bevs. Yes I lost my orginal details. I think I set the account up in March/April though lost the login details. I couldnt remember my username. Possibly london_29 or something like that.
H'okay . Will sort for you.
Old Oct 21st 2017, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Been doing all the necessary research and job hunting.

I've noticed that the average person in my line of work (Machining) earns Around $850 ish a week after tax. I've done every bit of research I think I can, i could be wrong but it seems to me that I'll be coming to nz to be skint and working all the time? And all the relevant sites are telling me I'll be $1000 down a week!! I must be doing it wrong cause I'm desperate to get over in the next year or two. Planning a visit next April and I'm looking for jobs as we speak.
Good, you got it and understand what you will be walking into. That puts you leaps ahead of most intending migrants. Far from doing it wrong, you are doing it correctly.

New Zealand's famous "lifestyle" requires gobs of cash which most don't have.

Best thing to do on your visit to NZ is talk to hiring managers in your profession. They will give you an idea of hiring prospects and so on. That is, if you have the correct visa or have a clear path to one. Hiring managers don't take on the role of Visa Santa Clauses.

My advice would be slow down. Take stock and see if a move really would be in your best interests, financially, personally, and career-wise, rather than just trying to race to NZ as fast as possible.
Old Oct 21st 2017, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

Just to reiterate what everyone else is saying really. Surviving on one medium-ish income is not really doable especially in or near any of the cities or bigger towns where rents are higher.

We are a British couple with 2 kids (9 and 7) and all our friends with kids have one person working full-time and the other part-time (usually between 20-30 hours a week). The only exceptions are where one person is a high earner ($100K+ salary). Being a stay at home parent is not really an option financially for most of us, especially once the kids are at school.
Old Oct 21st 2017, 8:35 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

so Jordan as you say you would be coming over and being skint and working all the time.

The job is not on the skills list so as BEVS has pointed out any one wanting to hire from offshore is going to have to jump through some major hoops to satisfy Immigration that there is no one on both islands able to do the job.

If you do get a job offer and Immigration do accept that no one here can do the job and I am not sure under the current or any new criteria it will allow for your other family members to come as well and pay scale would determine if you would even get any other visa other than a temporarily one.

My suggestion would be to call NZ Immigration in UK and ask them. You could also check with them that you do have the relevant qualifications.

But what with the new government coming in with Greens and NZ First on board I think that immigration is again going to be hit by tighter controls and it is something that you need to keep a keen eye on going forward.
Old Oct 21st 2017, 9:47 pm
`

Originally Posted by carcajou
Best thing to do on your visit to NZ is talk to hiring managers in your profession. They will give you an idea of hiring prospects and so on.
Actually that is a good idea .

Some trade employers are what is called ' NZ immigration accredited' . Those employers can hire from overseas if they so wish.

Talk to Hays NZ who I know to be accredited .
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute

I came over to nz about 7 years ago and loved it
House prices doubled since then

And the houses built then are now starting to fall down (funny enough just after their 10 year warranties expire

Seriously if you cant find rental at 30% of your income (Gross) its not going to work out financially. Don't think "outdoors" means free entertainment.

I have friends who drive the bus route home in case they run out of petrol.
That day at the beach is wasted on them as they worry the whole time about how to get home.
Old Dec 23rd 2017, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

200k a year in whanganui or palmy is more than enough
Of course it depends on you expected lifestyle
Old Dec 23rd 2017, 9:04 am
Just Joined

jabu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Justcol
200k a year in whanganui or palmy is more than enough
Of course it depends on you expected lifestyle
Quick question is it possible to live in palmy and commute to wangunui or live in the middle between the two
Old Dec 23rd 2017, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

$195k will be fine.
Old Dec 23rd 2017, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jabu
Quick question is it possible to live in palmy and commute to wangunui or live in the middle between the two
It is if you don't mind an hours commute each way.

Not something I would do, I value my time at home too much

Last edited by Justcol; Dec 23rd 2017 at 7:31 pm.
Old Dec 23rd 2017, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

jabu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Justcol
It is if you don't mind an hours commute each way.

Not something I would do, I value my time at home too much
ok, makes sense...