British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Money?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/money-904775/)

Jordon Oct 19th 2017 8:25 am

Money??

Been doing all the necessary research and job hunting.

I've noticed that the average person in my line of work (Machining) earns Around $850 ish a week after tax. I've done every bit of research I think I can, i could be wrong but it seems to me that I'll be coming to nz to be skint and working all the time? And all the relevant sites are telling me I'll be $1000 down a week!! I must be doing it wrong cause I'm desperate to get over in the next year or two. Planning a visit next April and I'm looking for jobs as we speak.

The prices are completely different to Sheffield where I live and I'd like it so my parter can stay at home.

Help????

Moses2013 Oct 19th 2017 8:32 am

Re: Money??

Originally Posted by Jordon (Post 12364387)
Been doing all the necessary research and job hunting.

I've noticed that the average person in my line of work (Machining) earns Around $850 ish a week after tax. I've done every bit of research I think I can, i could be wrong but it seems to me that I'll be coming to nz to be skint and working all the time? And all the relevant sites are telling me I'll be $1000 down a week!! I must be doing it wrong cause I'm desperate to get over in the next year or two. Planning a visit next April and I'm looking for jobs as we speak.

The prices are completely different to Sheffield where I live and I'd like it so my parter can stay at home.

Help????

A lot of people all over the world work and are skint. Some peoples monthly rent could be 2 incomes elsewhere, so you have to look at what you can get for your money in that specific place and see if it makes sense or not.

MrsFychan Oct 19th 2017 8:55 am

what visa are you looking at getting?

what is your actual job title and what qualifications do you have?

also please bare in mind that some visa's are only ever temporary and do not automatically allow partners or children.

Jordon Oct 19th 2017 8:57 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 12364404)
what visa are you looking at getting?

what is your actual job title and what qualifications do you have?

also please bare in mind that some visa's are only ever temporary and do not automatically allow partners or children.

It's not exactly set in stone, I'm an apprentice trained manual large turner, 6 year old daughter I'd be looking to settle really, my family would be a lot better over there by the sounds of it. Looking for the comfortable outdoors lifestyle.

Moses2013 Oct 19th 2017 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Jordon (Post 12364405)
It's not exactly set in stone, I'm an apprentice trained manual large turner, 6 year old daughter I'd be looking to settle really, my family would be a lot better over there by the sounds of it. Looking for the comfortable outdoors lifestyle.

How do you know you'll be better off and what do you mean with comfortable outdoor lifestyle? New Zealand is a big country and like anywhere each location will be better or worse for the individual.

MrsFychan Oct 19th 2017 9:09 am

so fitter and turner is on the skill level classification

Fitter and Turner Visa Options – Skill Shortage Lists, Immigration New Zealand

you would need to satisfy immigration that you fit their requirements, unfortunately just getting a job offer does not mean you will get a visa to take it up.

My OH's job offer had to be rewritten 3 times to satisfy Immigration and he was already working in the position on a temp work visa.

Please make sure you read up on the immigration website as to what is required and that any visa you may be able to gain would include whoever you want to come over with or if it does not the other applicants could get a visa off their own skills.

MrsFychan Oct 19th 2017 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Jordon (Post 12364405)
my family would be a lot better over there by the sounds of it. Looking for the comfortable outdoors lifestyle.

that will depend on what you are coming from and where to.

My life is much harder here than it was in the UK and we have older kids so no need for child care and both work, but every penny has to be accounted for and that is not something we had to do in the UK.

Jordon Oct 19th 2017 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 12364421)
How do you know you'll be better off and what do you mean with comfortable outdoor lifestyle? New Zealand is a big country and like anywhere each location will be better or worse for the individual.

I came over to nz about 7 years ago and loved it

Justcol Oct 19th 2017 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Jordon (Post 12364387)

your dreamin mate, wake up and get real

Unless you come with a shit load of money so you dont have a mortgage in NZ,
you will be sorely disappointed. $850 will barely pay the rent and cover the bills.
Pick a town and look at the rental costs, Rent alone will take around 400 bucks
add in the other essentials such as utilities, transport, food, and you've got nothing left

Moses2013 Oct 19th 2017 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Jordon (Post 12364449)

I liked Hawaii too but different if you're on holiday.

Jordon Oct 19th 2017 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 12364479)
your dreamin mate, wake up and get real

Unless you come with a shit load of money so you dont have a mortgage in NZ,
you will be sorely disappointed. $850 will barely pay the rent and cover the bills.
Pick a town and look at the rental costs, Rent alone will take around 400 bucks
add in the other essentials such as utilities, transport, food, and you've got nothing left

I wasn't saying I was coming. You answered the question, but next time don't be so rude you dingus

born_bred_red Oct 20th 2017 3:56 am

He is always rude. Youll probably be told not to take it personally. At least you didnt say anything negative about NZ.

NZ's ultimate defender. Actually surprised he didnt make up a story how you would be able to live on the wondeful air, grass and water.

Anyway keep your options open and do a little more research. But just on a glance it doesnt sound a very feasible option at the minute.

MrsFychan Oct 20th 2017 4:03 am

Originally Posted by Jordon (Post 12364449)

Lots has changed since then so please don't make any decisions on you experience back then. Significant changes have happened since 18 months ago so 7 years ago is not going to be relevant now I am afraid to say.

Justcol Oct 20th 2017 5:49 pm

Jeez there's some soft arses around, you need to harden up a bit.

Maybe I should spin a yarn about how if you keep your options open, do some research and choose areas to live carefully,shop at pak n save, claim a benefit here and there, buy clothes at the warehouse and don't go out much you could make it work. so when you can then come over and realise you hate living like a peasant and you don't like NZ, living here and being poor is actually nothing like being on holiday, but you've spent everything you had on getting here and mow you now can't afford to go home even though you want to.

BEVS Oct 20th 2017 10:26 pm

Back up everyone.

born_bred_red : Please contact me about this 2nd registration. Only one account is OK , so I can help if you have lost your original log in details.

Justcol : I know you like to come across no nonsense and blunt but there is a line between that & being basically downright rude to someone new to BE who has done nothing more than ask a question .
If you joined such a conversation with that manner in real life , your antagonistic words to a complete stranger would likely land you a lump in the chops.
Your PoV and info is spot on & valid so don't spoil that by being antagonistic for no reason. There is no need .
Here's the way it works. We welcome newbies & look to help and guide. If in doubt read Site Rule 1.

Jordan : I had to google 'dingus' . :unsure:

---------
to add:
If anyone sees something untoward then hit the 'report' button to alerts the mods.
If one find's another poster's posts annoying in anyway there is a facility to 'ignore'

OK. Keep it clean . Keep it helpful. This is my weekend after all.