Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Migrating with Infants?

Migrating with Infants?

Old Aug 9th 2017, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

Scottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Migrating with Infants?

Hi all,

Two of my kids are under 18 months and therefore are still in car seats, I'm wondering about taking their car seats out with us.

I was thinking of shipping them with the rest of our things, can I hire car seats in nz until their own arrive?? We aim for our belongs to hopefully arrive about 4wks after we do, as our first 4wks accommodation is temporary and covered by my husbands employer, during this time we will definitely be in the car as we need to sort schools out for my older two and find a rental etc! On this end we can borrow my nephews from when they leave until we do.

Thanks for any help .
Old Aug 9th 2017, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Migrating with Infants?

Yes, The Baby Factory is a nationwide chain of shops that sell baby stuff, they also hire out child car seats. If there isn't a branch where you are going there are a few smaller operators who hire them out.

Welcome to The Baby Factory
Old Aug 10th 2017, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

Scottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A Rush And A Push
Yes, The Baby Factory is a nationwide chain of shops that sell baby stuff, they also hire out child car seats. If there isn't a branch where you are going there are a few smaller operators who hire them out.

Welcome to The Baby Factory
Fantastic thanks!
Old Aug 10th 2017, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

Plunket also hire them - they are an organisation set up to support young families. Singapore airlines allowed us to bring a massive pram which didn't count as luggage so I think this is fairly standard. You might be able to sneak a carseat on the flight - you should ask the airline...
Old Aug 10th 2017, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by desmondo84
Plunket also hire them - they are an organisation set up to support young families. Singapore airlines allowed us to bring a massive pram which didn't count as luggage so I think this is fairly standard. You might be able to sneak a carseat on the flight - you should ask the airline...
Thank you, we already have a double buggy to take and a travel cot, we plan the hire another travel cot when we arriving while waiting on their own cots.

Immigrating with two babies we must be mad 🙉🤣
Old Aug 10th 2017, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Also now worrying about what formula to use in nz. My 3.5 month old son is currently on cow & gate which doesn't seem widely available in nz - and which nappies for them both??!
Old Aug 10th 2017, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scottishedo
Also now worrying about what formula to use in nz. My 3.5 month old son is currently on cow & gate which doesn't seem widely available in nz - and which nappies for them both??!
Huggies and Treasures are the main nappy brands in the supermarket as well as the supermarket's own brand. They're quite pricey in supermarkets, I used to get them from online retailers like Baby Online. The Dryups nappies from there are good value.

https://www.babyonline.co.nz

Plunket used to hire car seats but I think they've stopped now. I've had 2 babies here so any baby/child questions, fire away 🙂
Old Aug 10th 2017, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by A Rush And A Push
Huggies and Treasures are the main nappy brands in the supermarket as well as the supermarket's own brand. They're quite pricey in supermarkets, I used to get them from online retailers like Baby Online. The Dryups nappies from there are good value.

https://www.babyonline.co.nz

Plunket used to hire car seats but I think they've stopped now. I've had 2 babies here so any baby/child questions, fire away 🙂
Fantastic thank you!

Did you use formula? If no which brand?

Will have a look on that website. We use pampers here in the uk.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

From a little research I'm thinking it may actually be cheaper just to buy them new car seats out there when you take into account hire costs etc!

We have one travel cot they we are allowed to bring so will def need to hire another one when we get there too until their own arrive.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

From a little research I'm thinking it may actually be cheaper just to buy them new car seats out there when you take into account hire costs etc!

We have one travel cot they we are allowed to bring so will def need to hire another one when we get there too until their own arrive.
Yeah it could well be as cheap
just to buy new car seats. Same for the travel cot, probably same price to buy one as hire one.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Oh and no, I didn't use formula so can't advise on brands. Might be trial and error to find the best one for your baby.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic thank you!

Did you use formula? If no which brand?

Will have a look on that website. We use pampers here in the uk.
We use Pampers here in NZ. They are sold in the warehouse. Around $25 for a pack of 40/50 I think? They are slightly different than the UK version but in our opinion better than what's on offer otherwise. We did initially order the UK Pampers via some online shop in Auckland but got a bit expensive so ditched that idea and baba has been fine.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
We use Pampers here in NZ. They are sold in the warehouse. Around $25 for a pack of 40/50 I think? They are slightly different than the UK version but in our opinion better than what's on offer otherwise. We did initially order the UK Pampers via some online shop in Auckland but got a bit expensive so ditched that idea and baba has been fine.
Perfect thanks! I don't suppose you use formula and could recommend any? My son is on cow and gate here in the U.K.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Perfect thanks! I don't suppose you use formula and could recommend any? My son is on cow and gate here in the U.K.
Yes. After 4 or 5 months breastfeeding we used S26 Gold Newborn (1). Put on to it by the midwife/health visitor I think and kept him on that until we swapped to normal cows milk. We did try to move him on to the next stage but he didn't seem to like it over the newborn formula. $30 for a 900g tin.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Yes. After 4 or 5 months breastfeeding we used S26 Gold Newborn (1). Put on to it by the midwife/health visitor I think and kept him on that until we swapped to normal cows milk. We did try to move him on to the next stage but he didn't seem to like it over the newborn formula. $30 for a 900g tin.
Thanks so much for your help!!

What's the second hand market like over there considering may buying a second hand travel cot just for those first few weeks....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.