Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Medical Costs for Expats Pre-existing Conditions...

Medical Costs for Expats Pre-existing Conditions...

Old Jan 24th 2015, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

Dunengel is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Medical Costs for Expats Pre-existing Conditions...

Hello all - first post!

Posted this on another forum so apologies if it looks like spam; keen to get a few opinions...

I've recently been made a job offer for an engineering position in Wellington. I've done a bit of research and planning (rent, food shopping, etc), and I'm satisfied I can survive on the salary that has been offered; however, the last remaining unknown is healthcare costs.

In this respect, I have two questions;

As I understand it, I will be obtaining a Talent (Accredited Employer) work visa - am I right in thinking that this will mean I AM eligible for publicly funded health and disability services from the moment I arrive and register with a PHO in New Zealand?

Secondly, I'm currently medicated for epilepsy in the UK, where I currently receive around 6 prescriptions of medication (Sodium Valproate) a year. I have checked and this IS on the list of medicine subsidized by the government (i.e. "The Schedule"). So am I right in assuming that for one of these prescriptions, I will pay $5 per prescription and nothing else - despite being an immigrant with a pre-existing medical condition?

As an aside, whilst I have not yet obtained my immigration medical, I do not anticipate the above pre-existing condition will prevent me from doing so. I currently have a full UK driver's license, several occupational health medicals (mainly for offshore oil& gas work), and based on my own calculation of healthcare costs for this existing condition, will not exceed the threshold cost to the public health system of $41,000 in my lifetime - so don't believe there's any basis to have my medical withheld.

Thanks!

Last edited by MrsFychan; Jan 24th 2015 at 7:38 pm. Reason: removed forum name
Old Jan 24th 2015, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Pigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud of
Default Re: Medical Costs for Expats Pre-existing Conditions...

Hello

Can advise on the epilepsy. I am also new to NZ with epilepsy.
I spoke to NZ doctor about getting meds, I will have to pay $75 to see doctor to get first prescription ($5) second prescription is a repeat, no doctors cost, 3rd prescription, have to see a doctor $75.
Basically, see doctor every 6 months at $75 a time.
I had a very good doctor in the UK who prescribed me six months worth of meds before I left the UK.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 7:43 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

$75 sounds like an unfunded cost. depending where you register but funded costs can vary from anything from $30 odd to $50 odd from what I have seen on various members costs from here
Old Jan 24th 2015, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

When I went to register with my GP on my 3 year work visa I had to pay $70 odd dollars for my first appointment then whenever I have gone back it's been $50. I was told that as my work visa was valid for at least two years I was eligible for publically funded care so I'd imagine the same would be true for you on your Talent Visa.
Old Jan 25th 2015, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

So long as your work visa is valid for at least 2 years you will be able to get subsidised health care.
Once you register with a GP practice you will have to pay ACC subsidised costs for a new patient medical and first GP consultation fee which, if required will include a prescription for meds....Costs for this vary practice to practice so maybe $75 - $100.
You will only get 3 months worth of meds as a maximum and the fee at the chemist is $5 per item.
When it's time for your next script you can just ask for a repeat which will cost around $20 plus the cost of the meds.
You may well get away with repeating for a year until the GP wants to see you again and the cost of a subsidised consultation is around $50 which will include the script again plus the cost of the meds at the chemist.
Have a look at Hutt Valley Health Centre, Wellington. We were registered there nearly 3 years until recently. The website has a list of prices.

Your application will most certainly be passed to Immigration's medical assessors since you have a pre-existing condition but if you've done your homework about costs it should be a formality.
Old Jan 25th 2015, 9:18 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

we are with accredited employer. Drs will see and treat you for any pre existing health conditions.

Our dr chargers $34 for drs appt( from what Iv read this is quite cheap what I pay)
Plus $5 prescription.

I never had a new patient medical not sure what that entails

Your medicals I'm sure will be passed to medical assessors. That can be held by them for some time so be aware. Lots of medicals are given to them and then passed.

Good luck

Last edited by moving2NZ2013; Jan 25th 2015 at 9:20 am.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

Dunengel is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all for the replies - these have confirmed my understanding of the situation for the most part! I was slightly concerned there might be some massive cost lurking somewhere - this doesn't seem to be the case, and routine prescription/doctors fees are not unreasonable.

I suspected my medical would be referred to the assessors, however as you say escapedtonz I've done my homework with respect to how much I anticipate I will cost the public health system in my lifetime - and don't expect many problems with this.

At the end of the day, my epilepsy is well controlled (last episode was over 8 years ago!) so expect it will be a formality.

Cheers again all!