Mammogram

Old Aug 14th 2008, 10:25 pm

SavBlancGal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mammogram

When I turned 45 I registered for my 'freebie' mammogram and waited and waited for an appointment. I phoned and got told I was on the waiting list and it would happen, but the queue was fairly long. Next thing I discovered a lump, went to the doctor and got sent for a mammogram, which I paid for privately. I don't know what would have happened if I'd gone through the public system re waiting times.

Anyway, had the mammogram, followed by an ultrasound, then a biopsy. The radiologist/doctor that did the ultrasound was horrified that I hadn't been going for annual mammograms and an ultrasound every second year as she said that was the optimum screening procedure.

I pointed out to her that no one (being my GP really) had ever given me this information and she said "I doubt they're allowed to as it goes against Ministry of Health guidelines".

I was disgusted at that. Surely we should be given the choice of whether or not we want to have a certain level of screening carried out.

Rant over.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 10:31 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

BRAVA ---- BRAVA ------- BRAVA -------- BRAVA ---------- BRAVA
Old Aug 14th 2008, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wilma & co
Just had a quick peek at the Siemens website and they describe the Mammomat 1000 as a 'mid-tier' piece of equipment so I would expect it has a few 'bells and whistles' but not the whole range of fancy bits.

The clear plastic bit you mention is known as the compression devise (la-de-da!) as it basically squashes - gently!- the breast against the lower 'plate'. The x-ray film cassette will be in the bottom piece - you will notice the radiographer change this after each picture.

I found it took a while for me to get used to grabbing other ladies boobs but you soon view it as a technical exercise - you have to get all the breast tissue on the picture so the more thorough you are at positioning the breast in the first place (by pulling it around a bit) the better image you obtain. You also learn to lean a little into the lady's back so that she can't reverse as the compression devise is used!
Thanks for the extra info...the last time I went in a radiography room was when one of my kids needed their foot x-raying about 5 years ago and I have to say this mammogram set-up was much less intimidating...and the contraption does look pretty 'user friendly'....I got instant feedback as well (after a short wait) and you keep your x-rays (collect or have couriered next day) so they can compare them next time if you take them along...so maybe 'going private' has more benefits than just the speed of the appt. I'm sure a private mammogram in UK would be much pricier than $117.

When I phoned the Breastscreen NZ helpline originally before telling me I wasn't eligible...the woman said 'I've phoned to make your mammogram appt...when the time comes blah blah...'....when the time comes? So I'm guessing I may have ended up going privately even if she hadn't knocked me back (rightly or wrongly?).

So don't put it off..either way..it's no big deal.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

This is a message from the heart - please DO NOT delay going for a mammogram - ALWAYS find the time.

My best friend lost her fight with breast cancer aged 40 & died within 9 months of being diagnosed. And any preventative measures offered should be a PRIORITY and grabbed with both hands.

JUST DO IT x