Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

MAF approved disinfectant

MAF approved disinfectant

Old Aug 15th 2008, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Soppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud of
Default MAF approved disinfectant

Can anyone tell me whether Jeyes Fluid is a MAF approved disinfectant. We're setting about cleaning the outside stuff this weekend and I forgot to ring our removal company about it today. I've also got to sign a disclaimer stating I've used a MAF approved disinfectant.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MAF approved disinfectant

Hi

We are currently cleaning with Jeyes Fluid - the removal guy who came round to quote said Jeyes Fluid was okay, and I am sure I have read on the forum that many people have used it.

Good luck with the cleaning - it's a bit of a pain trying to do it when the weather is so miserable! I am trying to do it during dry spells and then bringing the stuff in (the stuff that fits in the house that is).

Best wishes
Moomoo
Old Aug 15th 2008, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Soppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud of

Thanks Moomoo.

I'd hoped that it would be dry this weekend - doesn't look like we're going to get it. Will have to hope its not torrential all weekend!! When and where are you off to?

Good luck with your cleaning also.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We are heading to Auckland - hubby has job in Manukau. Looking to live south east Auckland (near Howick/Whitford, etc).

We booked our flights a couple of days ago. We have had the visas approved, but are just waiting for the passports to come back. Flying out via Singapore on 15 October.

I see you are going on 28/08/08 - not long now. That's when we have the packers in (26/27/28 Aug). We are letting our house out from 29 Aug.

Really excited, but still a bit scary!

Regarding the cleaning - how clean does a bbq have to be. I have been scrubbing it with wire wool stuff today and have put oven cleaner on it, but still it doesn't shine! I think I will just spray it with Jeyes and then hopefully it will do.

Moomoo
Old Aug 15th 2008, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Not sure how clean the BBQ has to be, surely customs can't expect a BBQ to shine. We're not taking ours well it was only £1 from Sainsburys a couple of years ago!!!!

Feel much better about going now, we exchanged on our house sale today so that's put everything in its place. Really didn't think it was going to happen but happily it has.

Good luck with your move - our packers are coming on Friday, 22nd and Tuesday, 26th. Not ideal but with completion on 27th and bank holiday monday on the 25th no choice really. Hope it all goes well for you.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 8:22 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

They like to smell the bleach and stuff, and if they can smell that they probably wont unpack anything, the main thing they will pull is things like Hoovers,and camping tents or things that could carry seeds or desease, garden tools, walking boots, they pulled open a Christmas tree and a Dyson in our load, must have thought the tree was real, we didn't make our bbq shine, it was still in box when it got to NZ un opened.I think the main things are tools etc, we know someone here who imported their Triumph TR6 now that when things get serious about dirt etc.

Just slap on the Jeyes and bleach smell.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

spackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud of

Hi, the one they do recognize is called "Virkon". Only trouble is you can either buy it in bulk or more expensively at your local vets. Ideal if bringing any animal toys, beds etc. Other half bought over a vehicle and it had to be spotless, when he spoke to MAF and told them he had cleaned it with virkon they we're happy.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 1:53 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Moomoo
Hi

We are heading to Auckland - hubby has job in Manukau. Looking to live south east Auckland (near Howick/Whitford, etc).

We booked our flights a couple of days ago. We have had the visas approved, but are just waiting for the passports to come back. Flying out via Singapore on 15 October.

I see you are going on 28/08/08 - not long now. That's when we have the packers in (26/27/28 Aug). We are letting our house out from 29 Aug.

Really excited, but still a bit scary!

Regarding the cleaning - how clean does a bbq have to be. I have been scrubbing it with wire wool stuff today and have put oven cleaner on it, but still it doesn't shine! I think I will just spray it with Jeyes and then hopefully it will do.

Moomoo
Lol...I would not take a barbecue.... and they all have big gas ones over here btw
Old Aug 16th 2008, 2:10 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Jeyes Fluid was recommended by our shippers too. It did the trick as MAF were happy.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 10:07 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Put new filters in your Dyson and a new hose on too if you have the chance

We bought our lawn mower too. We took it to a local mowerservice place and told them we needed it cleaned for emmigrating and it came back like new. Make sure they drain the oil though
Old Aug 17th 2008, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Soppydot4
Not sure how clean the BBQ has to be, surely customs can't expect a BBQ to shine. We're not taking ours well it was only £1 from Sainsburys a couple of years ago!!!!

Feel much better about going now, we exchanged on our house sale today so that's put everything in its place. Really didn't think it was going to happen but happily it has.

Good luck with your move - our packers are coming on Friday, 22nd and Tuesday, 26th. Not ideal but with completion on 27th and bank holiday monday on the 25th no choice really. Hope it all goes well for you.
Good luck with the packers, can't wait to get the house packed up and move to my mum's to de-stress! Congrats on the exchange, we didn't manage to sell our house, hence the rental, we will try in approx 18 months time, depending on the market.

Moomoo
Old Aug 17th 2008, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by love30stm
Lol...I would not take a barbecue.... and they all have big gas ones over here btw

Ours is a big gas one!! I hope I haven't killed it with all the scrubbing

Not that I will get the chance to see if it is still alive, the weather is gloomy and miserable

Can't wait to come out in October to some (hopefully) brighter weather

Moomoo
Old Aug 18th 2008, 2:45 am
One day I might catch one

Possum Chaser has a spectacular aura aboutPossum Chaser has a spectacular aura aboutPossum Chaser has a spectacular aura about

We used Virkon S, got it from our vets. The Maff girl at the airport was very happy to hear we had cleaned all out doggy stuff (leads, harnesses, coats etc) in it. Also when maff done the inspection at the house Virkon was a good product to have used, maff were very happy.

With regards to cleaning, things don't need to be like new. just clean, so no grass or mud or spiders webs etc and you should be good.