Reload this Page >

Looking for a surf buddy in Auckland

Looking for a surf buddy in Auckland

Old Aug 28th 2015, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

adstrent is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for a surf buddy in Auckland

Hello all you good people out there,

I am moving from London to Auckland in October. I married a kiwi 12 years ago in London, we now have two small children and my wife desperately wants to move back to NZ. I am quite apprehensive, I've been there many times and I know I'm going to miss my family and good old England. That said, I love all things outdoors; surfing, fishing, sailing, walking, kayaking so I'm going to immerse myself in said activities from day dot.

Is there anyone out there reading this who's into surfing and who I could hook up with early on in my move to go surfing with and partake in other outdoor activities with, such as bbq's and the consumption of ice cold beers after a satisfying day in the water?
Old Aug 28th 2015, 9:33 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for a surf buddy in Auckland

Hi adstrent,

Welcome to NZ! Try checking out meetup.com. There's heaps of clubs on there to cater for your hobbies. I've just typed in "Sports and Rec" in Auckland and a whole heap of stuff came up (some I wouldn't mind joining myself if I was in Auckland!)

Also, maybe try typing "surfing Auckland" into the facebook search bar. A public group poppped up called "surfing around Auckland." Perhaps post a message on there saying you're new to the area and can anyone show you around, I'm sure someone will

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Pom_Chch; Aug 28th 2015 at 9:35 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 9:02 am
Just Joined

Hi Pom_Chch,

Thanks for the response, I'll try some of your suggestions.

Hope life is treating you well down under, I'll be there in about 6 weeks.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 10:50 am
Just Joined

GodalmingKiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello mate,

Similar experience in that my wife (British) and I are moving back to Auckland with our two young kids after 11 years in the UK. I'm an outdoor loving kiwi, anything on the water will do me fine!

We're moving back at the end of Sept; pretty apprehensive myself.

Drop me a private message if you can, I couldn't pm you as I've only just joined the forum.

Cheers
Old Sep 14th 2015, 4:43 am
Just Joined

Ianriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I was in a similar position, wife is a Kiwi, decided that it was time to come home. Been here two years now. Has it's moments etc etc but it's all good. Miss Sunday afternoons in the pub watching football with my mates but that's about it.

Summer is round the corner and that is always a good thing. Been slowly getting into surfing (mostly body boarding) when time allows. Planning on buying a surf board for this summer and ripping up some waves. Don't tend to surf in Auckland too much, find Piha a pain to get to and for as long as it takes us to get there. Raglan is an equally good option and has a town attached to it for drinkies etc if it's flat. Saturdays we go to Tawharanui after a bit of brekkie at the Matakana markets along with the rest of Auckland.

More than happy to get involved once you are down!
Old Sep 15th 2015, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

Ianriv,

That sounds great, good to hear you're enjoying it out there. I like the sound of the Saturday trip to Tawharanui via the market, I've not been there and it looks stunning in the pics I've googled. How long is the drive?

I've been to Raglan a few times and know it well, been to Piha but I've never surfed there.

I will be in Auckland mid October so will definitely get in touch if that's OK?
Old Sep 15th 2015, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Ianriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond repute

The drive can vary. Sometimes with not alot of traffic once the motorway goes to single lane can be as quick as an hour from Auckland. Sometimes up to two depending on what's going on up North that weekend (as it's just about the only road) and how many people are going to Matakana (it really can get very busy with the 'trendy' Auckland lot)

We really like the reserve, very pretty (where isn't in NZ) nice friendly for beginners surf beach and since it's a protected area some cool animals you don't see everywhere. Oh you need to mind the gravel road to it though

Will PM you my email and number