Reload this Page >

Looking to move to NZ -

Looking to move to NZ -

Old Jan 31st 2016, 9:14 am
Just Joined

scoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking to move to NZ -

Hi
I am interested in moving to New Zealand with my boyfriend. We get enough points on the residents visa so that's not too much of an issue. The issue is that my boyfriend wants to change his job in the UK and become a full time fire fighter. He currently works part time as an On Call fire fighter and can drive the truck. There are not many opportunities here and you generally have to live in the same county to even apply for roles that do come up. I see that NZ does yearly recruitments so thats a plus but how difficult is it to gain a position? Does anyone have any experience of this?
Old Feb 1st 2016, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Looking to move to NZ -

As hard if not harder to get into than the UK. There are only 1400 professional firefighters in NZ all the rest are unpaid volunteers.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

nikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond repute

Another option could me a firefighter in the forces? You'd need residency in advance to apply though.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 9:50 am
Just Joined

scoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies. To be honest he has got pretty limited chances in the UK because you can only largely apply for roles with your county and they rarely hire. We gain enough points as me as the lead applicant so he would have a fair amount of freedom.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

nikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond repute

If you gain residency with you as the main applicant then that could bring the forces route back in. However you are then restricted to where to live and all the time apart for training
Old Feb 8th 2016, 12:40 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by scoe
We gain enough points as me as the lead applicant so he would have a fair amount of freedom.
Can you give me the points you have and your occupation please?

Also, do you live with your boyfriend?

I have read on another post that your family ( Mum and Dad?) has done the Wanted Down Under show. Which episode was that please.
I gather you went to Wellington.

Just helps us to help you.

edit...
I've read through the dialogue of what I think was the last prog.

What is your current NZ visa status please?

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 8th 2016 at 1:04 am.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 2:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fire Service

Originally Posted by nikkijane88
Another option could me a firefighter in the forces? You'd need residency in advance to apply though.
A Firefighter in the forces, or an airport firefighter, is totally different to a civilian firefighters role.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Looking to move to NZ -

I know that. But if someone struggles to become a civvy firefighter then all I said was it's another option.