Reload this Page >

Looking to make the move ?

Looking to make the move ?

Old May 20th 2016, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Gemmae31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking to make the move ?

Hi

We visited Auckland in April this year and fell in love with the place. We would love to make the move and have spoken to a couple of people regarding work whilst we were out there.

We would ideally like to make the move and rent, to eventually buy our first home. Auckland seems very expensive house wise

Wondered if anyone had any opinions on Wellington or Christchurch ?

obviously we have to go where the work is but would like to find out from people who have been to Wellington or Christchurch pros and cons

We would like to make the move to give our daughter a better chance in life, and feel they would all have more to offer than the uk
Old May 20th 2016, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to make the move ?

Originally Posted by Gemmae31
Hi

We visited Auckland in April this year and fell in love with the place. We would love to make the move and have spoken to a couple of people regarding work whilst we were out there.

We would ideally like to make the move and rent, to eventually buy our first home. Auckland seems very expensive house wise

Wondered if anyone had any opinions on Wellington or Christchurch ?

obviously we have to go where the work is but would like to find out from people who have been to Wellington or Christchurch pros and cons

We would like to make the move to give our daughter a better chance in life, and feel they would all have more to offer than the uk

At the end of the day it has to work for you and the work life balance needs to be right.

All places will have different pros and cons for different people:
Main cons according to most people:

Christchurch = Earthquakes
Wellington = Wind + Rain

Dunedin seems to be becoming more popular for people who want to escape the Auckland rat race.
Old May 20th 2016, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

I assume that you have qualifications that fit in with the current shortages?
Old May 20th 2016, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Gemmae31 is an unknown quantity at this point

yes my partner is a security technician and we have spoken to migration agents his job is on the skilled shortage list
Old May 20th 2016, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gemmae31
yes my partner is a security technician and we have spoken to migration agents his job is on the skilled shortage list
I would first check where he can actually get a job and see if the salary can get you what you want in that location.
Old May 20th 2016, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking as a visitor I would prefer Christchurch to Wellington, but would be cautious about where I located.

The area around Christchurch is much more open and Akaroa (near by) is charming.

We found Wellington a bit isolated being right at the tip of North Island, and as others have said it can be a bit windy. It also gets the rain from the prevailing weather. Nice city, though.
Old May 20th 2016, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Wellington, great city center, quite hilly, lots of traffic, VERY windy.

Chch, sprawling mass of not a lot, now appears broken and still lots of EQ damage visible, new developments south of the city getting expensive, doubt the place will ever fully recover.

Also look at Hamilton, Napier, Tauranga, new Plymouth, Wanganui, Blenheim, Dunedin.

Hamilton and Tauranga are going through massive growth due to people leaving Auckland and new road infrastructure.
Don't just jump out of one city and into another, explore all options.

Last edited by Justcol; May 20th 2016 at 4:45 pm.
Old May 20th 2016, 9:15 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Chch is a big open sky city with a large town feel. We boast excellent quality drinking water and it's free. We only get 24" of rain per year so nobody gripes on about the wet other than the ground is too dry. The city centre is being rebuilt at a very fast rate and every week sees new "Earthquake proof" buildings popping up. We have beaches of lovely sand that go on for ever and parks on almost every street corner. I never bother to drive anywhere because the bus service is so good and being on the flat cycling is so easy. Yes we get winter frosts but I still grow lemons and oranges. Waking up to a minus 3C means that by 10:00 am shorts and tee shirt will be the days dress in the big blue sun shine. Having cooler nights and less humidity goes for better sleep. Our houses have been destruction tested a few years back and if you settle on the West of the city there is little or no visible EQ damage remaining. The new builds in the city all in need of security systems no doubt....
Old May 21st 2016, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in riccarton and its looks bloody awful
Today I've also been in Bishopdale, Avonhead and Papanui and wasnt impressed there either,
It all looks so dirty
I guess its horses for courses

Last edited by Justcol; May 21st 2016 at 8:54 am.
Old May 22nd 2016, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Justcol
I'm in riccarton and its looks bloody awful
Today I've also been in Bishopdale, Avonhead and Papanui and wasnt impressed there either,
It all looks so dirty
I guess its horses for courses
Really? Those are quite nice areas, not the flashiest but nice and certainly not dirty. The weather has been miserable here the last few days however after the recent dry period it's certainly needed and means some snow for the ski slopes opening soon :-)
Old May 22nd 2016, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Chch is a big open sky city with a large town feel. We boast excellent quality drinking water and it's free. We only get 24" of rain per year so nobody gripes on about the wet other than the ground is too dry. The city centre is being rebuilt at a very fast rate and every week sees new "Earthquake proof" buildings popping up. We have beaches of lovely sand that go on for ever and parks on almost every street corner. I never bother to drive anywhere because the bus service is so good and being on the flat cycling is so easy. Yes we get winter frosts but I still grow lemons and oranges. Waking up to a minus 3C means that by 10:00 am shorts and tee shirt will be the days dress in the big blue sun shine. Having cooler nights and less humidity goes for better sleep. Our houses have been destruction tested a few years back and if you settle on the West of the city there is little or no visible EQ damage remaining. The new builds in the city all in need of security systems no doubt....
I second all of this.