Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Looking for job opportunities

Looking for job opportunities

Old Aug 23rd 2016, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

CharlotteHayley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for job opportunities

I have just arrived in New Zealand a week ago I'm 24 years old from England, and I am looking for new work opportunities. I want to try new things and try new skills or trades but unsure where to look or the best places to go are. I would like to work outdoors with animals or get involved with activities or the construction field. I'm hard working and just want to be given a chance to better myself while here. All advice welcome.

Thank you,

Charlotte
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 10:11 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Looking for job opportunities

I'll move this to the NZ forum.

First and most important

What visa are you on please?

Last edited by BEVS; Aug 23rd 2016 at 10:24 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 1:27 am
Just Joined

awksie is an unknown quantity at this point

As this thread seems to have 'died', I will hijack it ...... I have just arrived on a tourist visa, after 11 years working in Spain. I am English and 53 years old....are there are casual labour opportunities for hard working souls who eventually want to prove their worth and get a work visa?

I am flitting between addresses in Central Auckland and Papakura (a bit further South).

Just wanting to know if you can get a job the proper way, but also by 'meeting a bloke down the pub'?
Old Sep 1st 2016, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by awksie
As this thread seems to have 'died', I will hijack it ...... I have just arrived on a tourist visa, after 11 years working in Spain. I am English and 53 years old....are there are casual labour opportunities for hard working souls who eventually want to prove their worth and get a work visa?

I am flitting between addresses in Central Auckland and Papakura (a bit further South).
Just wanting to know if you can get a job the proper way, but also by 'meeting a bloke down the pub'?
You are not allowed to do any work on a tourist visa and you are too old for a working holiday visa.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 6:50 am
Just Joined

Straight to the point I suppose, thank you.

Nice to arrive in a country without a discriminatory view on age, there was me thinking it was 2016!!

I am joking, of course, I know I am too old aged 53....I have to get out of bed every morning
Old Sep 1st 2016, 9:09 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

what do you do as a job if you had one? You do have time against you as you have to become a resident before you are 54yrs old to enable you to stay long term. or you will be stuck on just having to renew temp visa, if in fact you can up lift one, which does sort of leave you in limbo and means Immigration can always refuse to renew which means you would have to leave.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 9:49 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Straight to the point I suppose, thank you.
Just a heads up but most on here in NZ will have spent a lot of time and $$$ doing things the official way to get and work here so may not have much sympathy for your "casual" approach. I certainly don't.

Of course if found working illegally your chances of ever doing it the correct way will be pretty much non-existant.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Simonsi, thanks for a really good reply.

I am actually a 'professional' person and my intentions are to go about things the legal way and I have the finances to invest in this route.

I just enjoy working and genuinely wondered if I could fix myself up with a short term, albeit modest, income stream, whilst going the longer term route for a work visa.

I have been an 'immigrant' in Spain for the past 11-years, but of course, there are no barriers to the workforce right now for British citizens.

I am determined to keep plugging away, doing the right thing, I admire you guys that have struggled to do things this way, I just wish this forum had a slant of the more 'positive' sometimes for the guys who want to be here for all the right reasons.

As I say, thanks for a great reply.

Awksie
Old Sep 1st 2016, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

Thought I would provide an update:

visited the Office of Immigation at 280 Queen Street this morning and they were most helpful.

Gave me some forms to complete based on my personal circumstances, will likely need an interview with an Immigration Officer at some point, but I am quietly optimistic, that by going down the legal route, I will be allowed a right to seek work once I have completed the 'Partnership-Based Temporary Entry' application form.

Lots of boxes to tick (figure of speech), but I guess if you are determined enough, you can succeed.

The lady didn't even ask my age
Old Sep 1st 2016, 11:46 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

once I have completed the 'Partnership-Based Temporary Entry' application form.
Ah so presumably you have a Kiwi partner? That might have been useful to know ;-)
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 12:09 am
Just Joined

Yes, sorry, I was not trying to be devious and I fully understand that the advice to "get fixed up with a kiwi partner" should not be encouraged.

We are rekindled after 20 years apart and although I initially arrived here in April of this year, I have spent a couple of months in the UK to sort out some stuff.

One thing I did find 'interesting', is that after arriving here on a British passport, on 28th Aug, my tourist visa now runs until the 28th Feb - I originally applied for an e-visa back in April and wrongly assumed that my stay would expire on 10th October??

I am sure this is common knowledge to you guys, but it was a welcome surprise to me ✌� ����
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 2:12 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

The lady didn't even ask my age
Maybe you should of offered that information
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 5:33 am
Just Joined

Try taking a Happy Pill.......no, take two !!
Old Sep 4th 2016, 1:32 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Try taking a Happy Pill.......no, take two !!
I don't get this . Doesn't sound very nice.

This is what you wrote

I am English and 53 years old....are there are casual labour opportunities for hard working souls who eventually want to prove their worth and get a work visa?
It is a job offer first and then take up employment. Not the other way round.
There is an assortment of criteria that an employer must meet before offering someone from overseas paid employment.

However, you then went on to write this.

-- allowed a right to seek work once I have completed the 'Partnership-Based Temporary Entry'
-- which means exactly that. A right to work and remain in NZ whilst a partner based application is processed.

Yes. Some visitor visas are for 6 months and some for 3. That depends on where one is currently resident.

So. You are with your NZ partner. You will be given time to prove that the relationship is long lasting and stable.

Last edited by BEVS; Sep 4th 2016 at 1:37 am.